- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting clinical dental hygienist emotional intelligence on burnout
임상치과위생사의 감성지능이 소진에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Kim, Young-Im (Department of Dental Hygiene, Vision College of Jeonju)
- 김영임 (전주비전대학교 치위생과)
- Received : 2018.05.29
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors affecting the exhaustion of emotional intelligence of clinical dental hygienist and to improve the quality of customer service and effective management of clinical dental hygienist. The results of the study were as follows: 394 clinical dental hygienists working in Jeollabukdo from February 6 to May 31, 2017. Clinical dental hygienist's emotional intelligence showed a significant negative correlation with burnout(r=-.623, p<.001). Self emotion appraisal, others' emotion appraisal, and use of emotion were found to be related factors to exhaustion of clinical dental hygienist..Based on the results of this study, it would be necessary to develop programs to improve the emotional intelligence of clinical dental hygienists, to reduce burnout and to improve the work efficiency of clinical dental hygienists.
Burnout;Clinical Dental hygienist;Emotional intelligence;Emotional exhaustion;Impersonalization;Low sense of achievement
- S. E. Heo, J. H. Ji. "The Mediating Effects of Burnout on the Relationships between Job Stress and Turnover Intention for Dental Hygienists", Korean Public Health Research, Vol.36, No.2, pp.35-55, 2010.
- J. S. Choi, K. K. Kim. "A Study on the Patient's Expectation Toward Quality Care of Dental Services", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.2, No.1 pp.1-9, 2002.
- H. B. Hwang. "The effects of clinical nurses' emotional intelligence on psychological burnout", Hanyang University, Seoul, 2012.
- M. J. Kim, H. Y. Lee, Y. I. Kim. "A Study on the Dental Hygienists' Image Perceived by Health Allied College Students", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol.11, No.6 pp.481-487, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, J. E. Song. S. K. Lee, S. K. Heo, Y. H. Sung, J. E. Lee, "The Effect of Emotional Intelligence on Organizational Performance in Clinical Nurses-A Preliminary Study for an Education Program of Organizational Performance", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.17, No.1, pp.80-89, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.080 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.080
- D. Goleman, "Emotional Intelligence", New York, Bantam Books, pp.5-30, 1995.
- C. Maslach, "Burnout", Human behavior Vol.5, No.9, pp.16-22, 1976.
- D. C. Vahey, L. H. Aiken, D. M. Sloane, S. P. Clarke, D. Vargas, "Nurse burnout and patient satisfaction", Medical Care, Vol.42, No.2, pp.1157-1166, 2004. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000109126.50398.5a https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000109126.50398.5a
- D. B. Slavitt, P. L. Stamps, E. B. Piedmont, A. M. Haase, "Nurses' satisfaction with their work situation", Nursing Research, Vol.27, No.2, pp.114-130, 1978. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197803000-00018 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-197803000-00018
- C. S. Wong, K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol.13, No.3, pp.243-274, 2002. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- J. S. Im. "A Study on the Relationship between Employee's Emotional Intelligence and Employee's Attitude and Behavior: Focusing on the Moderating Effects of Emotional Labor and Organizational Personality", Korea University, Seoul, 2004.
- C. Maslach, S. E. Jackson, "The measurement of experienced burnout", Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.2, No.2, pp.99-133, 1981. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205 https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030020205
- H. Y. Choi, N. U. Jeong, "Perfectionism Tendency, Social Support, and Burnout Among Counselors", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol.8, No.2, pp.279-300, 2003.
- H. K. Cho, Y. J. Choi, M. K. Jeon, G. H. Jung. "Factors Affecting Nursing Productivity of Clinical Nurses : Focused on Emotional Intelligence and Burnout", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.9 pp.307-316, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.307 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.09.307
- J. H. Kim, Y. M. Lee, H. Y. Joung, H. S. Choo, S. J. Won, S. Y. Kwon, H. J. Bae, H. K. Ahn, E. M. Kim, H. J. Jang. "Effects of Emotional Labor, Emotional Intelligence and Social Support on Job Stress in Clinical Nurses", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.20, No.2 pp.157-167, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.157 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2013.20.2.157
- M. H. Jung. Factors associated with burnout among dental hygienists. Inje University, Gimhae, 2002.
- K. H. Han, H. H. Kim, "The Relationship among Burnout, Compassion Fatigue, Compassion Satisfaction and Social Support of Clinical Dental Hygienists", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol.14, No.2 pp.256-263, 2014.
- M. S. Joung, K. J. Kim, "A Study on the effect of emotional Labor and Leader's emotional intelligence on job satisfaction and organizational commitment for nurses", Korean Journal of Hospital Management, Vol.11, No.4 pp.1-18, 2006.
- B. H. Lee, J. S. Kim, "Analysis of the Correlation of Burnout, Job Satisfaction and Turnover of Dental Hygienists", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.10, No.11 pp.217-227, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.217 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.11.217
- Y. S. Kim, H. S. Yoon, "A Study on Burnout and Organizational Effectiveness of Dental Hygienists", J Korean Soc Dent Hyg, Vol.8, No.4, pp.291-297, 2008.
- J. H. Choi, "Relationship between nurse's emotional intelligence, communication competency and organizational commitment", Ajou University, Gyeonggido, 2010.
- Y. S. Im, J. H. Kim, H. J. Kwon, "Relationships among Bullying in Workplace, Burnout, and Emotional Intelligence of Korean Physician Assistant (PA) Nurses", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.16, No.2, pp.703-713, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.02.703