- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors affecting patient safety behavior and performance of infection control among nursing students
간호대학생의 환자안전행위 및 감염관리 수행도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Lee, Suzy (Chung-Ang University IACF) ;
- Shin, Gisoo (Red Cross College of Nursing, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Cho, Mi-Kyoung (Department of Nursing Science, College of Medicine, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2018.05.08
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
This study was conducted to identify the factors influencing patient safety behavior and performance of infection control in nursing students. This study was a descriptive survey based on data collected from August 28, 2017, to September 22, 2017 from 174 third and fourth year nursing students at E university located in S city of Gyeonggi. The collected data were analyzed using the PASW 23.0 program to conduct an independent t-test, one-way ANOVA, post-hoc Scheffe's test, Pearson's correlation, and multiple regression. The average scores of patient safety behavior and performance of infection control were
patient safety;infection control;confidence;awareness;knowledge
- K. H. Baek, "A study on the neonatal group management treatment of postpartum care center," Seoul Law Review, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 401-430, 2018. https://doi.org/10.15821/slr.2018.25.4.011
- J. Y. Yoo, J. H. Lee, "Complex impact of patient safety and medical quality on hospital management activities due to healthcare accreditation adoption," Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 283-292, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.283 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.283
- R. Hughes, "Patient safety and quality: An evidence-based handbook for nurses," 3rd ed. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD, pp. 20-125, 2008.
- J. H. Seo, E. S. Song, S. E. Choi, K. S. Woo, "Patient safety in Korea: current status and policy issues," Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Sejong, pp. 11-24, 2016.
- J. H. Yoo, "Principle and perspective of healthcare-associated infection control," Journal of the Korean Medical Association, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 5-12, 2018. https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2018.61.1.5 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2018.61.1.5
- J. S. Garner, W. R. Jarvis, T. G. Emori, T. C. Horan, J. M. Hughes, "CDC definitions for nosocomial infections," American journal of infection control, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 128-140, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-6553(88)90053-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/0196-6553(88)90053-3
- D. J. Gould, R. Gallagher, D. Allen, "Leadership and management for infection prevention and control: what do we have and what do we need?," Journal of Hospital Infection, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 165-168, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2016.07.005 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2016.07.005
- S. Y. Jeong, O. S. Kim, "The structural model of hand hygiene behavior for the prevention of healthcare-associated infection in hospital nurses," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 119-129, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.2.119 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.2.119
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing [Internet], "The essential clinical resource for nursing academic missions," American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 1999 [cited 2018 March 17], Available from: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED432954.pdf
- H. J. Jang, Y. K. Kwag, "Affecting factors on clinical competence of nursing students," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 4380-4387, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4380 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.9.4380
- M. R. Kim, "Concept Analysis of Patient Safety," Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 1-8, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.1.1
- National patient safety foundation [Internet], "About patient safety", Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 2013 [cited 2018 March 17], Available from: https://www.npsf.org/page/aboutpatientsafety
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education [Internet], "Specify the colleges four-year term of study screening". Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, 2013 [cited 2018 March 17]. Available from: http://kabon.or.kr/kabon02/index04.php
- S.Y. Jeong, J. Y. Lee, S. R. Kim, M. J. Shin, S. E. LEe, O. S. Kim, "Development and implementation of an education program for novice infection control nurses," Korean journal of nosocomial infection control, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 18-30, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14192/kjnic.2016.21.1.18 https://doi.org/10.14192/kjnic.2016.21.1.18
- J. S. Park, M. J. Choi, S. Y. Jang, "The effects of preclinical clinical performance examination on nursing students' confidence in nursing skills and critical thinking competence," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 75-85, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.75 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.75
- S. H. Son, J. S. Park, "A study on nursing students' knowledge, attitude, confidence in performance and behavior of patient safety," Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1043-1053, 2017. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2017.29.4.1043 https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2017.29.4.1043
- H. N. Yoo, H. Y. Lee, "The initial application of the patient safety management activity scale (PSM-A) for nursing students: Brief on reliability and validity," Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, vol. 16, no. 6B, pp. 3423-3436, 2014.
- S. H. Choi, H. Lee, "Factors affecting nursing students' practice of patient safety management in clinical practicum," Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 184-192, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.184 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.184
- S. Y. Yang, H. N. Lim, "Awareness and Performance on Standard Precautions of Hospital-acquired Infection Control in Nursing Students : The Mediating Effect of Internal Health Locus of Control," The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 378-388, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.378 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.378
- J. Y. Oh, J. Y. Mun, H. K. Oh, "Affecting Factors on Performance of Nursing Students regarding Standard Precautions for Healthcare associated Infection Control and Prevention," Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 270-277, 2016. https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.3.270 https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.3.270
- Y. Kim, M. Y. Kim, Y. H. Seo, "The Effects of an Intensive Education Program on Hospital Infection Control on Nursing Students' Knowledge, Attitude, and Confidence in Infection Control," Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 318-326, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.4.318 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2016.18.4.318
- J. E. Cha, J. Y. Cho, Y. G. Kim, G. H. Nam, S. Y. Lee, S. Y. Lee, et al, "Nursing Students' Safety-Climate, Perception and Performance of Standard Precautions for Healthcare-associated Infection Control," Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 72-83, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.8.72 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.8.72
- Y. Sung, H. Nam, "The Study of the Knowledge and Performance of Nursing Students for the Nosocomial Infection Control," Korean Journal of Occup ational Health Nursing, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 40-49, 2006.
- J. H. Seo, E. S. Song, S. U. Choi, K. S. Woo. "Patient safety in Korea: Current status and policy issues," Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, Sejong: Korea C & P; pp. 1-211, 2016.
- J. H. Park, M. H. Park, "Knowledge, Attitude, and Confidence on Patient Safety of Undergraduate Nursing Students," Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 5-14, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.5 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.5
- B. H. Kim, "A study on the degrees of awareness and performance of the hospital infection control among clinical nurses in a middle-sized and in a small-sized hospital" [master's thesis]. Seoul: Yonsei University, 2003. p.1-77.
- T. A. Iacobucci, B. J. Daly, D. Lindell, M. Q. Griffin, "Professional values, self-esteem, and ethical confidence of baccalaureate nursing students," Nursing ethics, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 479-490, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733012458608 https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733012458608
- M. R. Song, E. M. Kim, S. J. Yu, "Analysis on the Competency of Nursing Students' Basic Nursing Skills," International Journal of Contents, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 390-401, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.390 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2012.12.06.390
- R. Edwards, E. Charani, N. Sevdalis, B. Alexandrou, E. Sibley, D. Mullett, et al, "Optimisation of infection prevention and control in acute health care by use of behaviour change: a systematic review" The Lancet Infectious Diseases, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 318-329, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70283-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(11)70283-3
- Y. H. Kim, S. Y. Hwang, A. Y. Lee. "Perceived confidence in practice of core basic nursing skills of new graduate nurses," Korean Academy Society of Nursing Education, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 37-46, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.37 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.37
- K. C. Lim, "Simulation-based clinical judgment and performance ability for tracheal suction in nursing students," Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 330-340, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2017.23.3.330
- R. Song, M. Park. "Motivation factors for stages of behavioral change among individuals with metabolic syndrome," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 60-69, 2018. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2018.30.1.60 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2018.30.1.60
- M. H. Hong, J. U. Park. "Nurses' perception of accreditation, awareness and performance of infection control in an accredited healthcare system,". Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 167-177, 2016. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.167 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.167
- S. Y. Hong, Y. S. Kweon, H. O. Park. "Nursing students' awareness and performance on standard precautions of infection control in the hospital." The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 293-302, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293