- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Parenting experiences of mother in children with developmental disabilities
발달장애 아동 어머니의 양육 경험
- Yeo, Yeong-Nam (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Park, Hae In (Department of Nursing, Daekyeung University) ;
- Shin, Jeoung-Soon (Department of Nursing, Gimhae College)
- Received : 2018.05.15
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The purpose of this study is to understand and describe in depth the meaning of parenting experiences of mothers with children with developmental disabilities through phenomenological methods. Participants of this study were selected by convenience sampling 11 mothers who were taking care of children with developmental disabilities who were being treated at the Welfare Center for the Disabled in C city. Data were collected from February to April, 2018 by using in-depth interview and tape-recording. The interview data were analyzed by the phenomenological analysis method of Giorgi. As the result of analysis, the following seven constituents were emerged; Regreting to delay the uncertain diagnosis, Difficulty in accommodating children with disabilities, Unbearable gaze around, Family disagreements due to children with disabilities, Adopting and dedicated to child care for disabled childre, Tiring of raising children with disabilities, Accepting children with disabilities. In conclusion, the parenting attitude of mother with developmental disability is influenced not only by the children with developmental disabilities but also by the social contact opportunities of daily life and interpersonal relationship including mothers' emotional stability and social isolation, It is considered that medical and welfare should be systematically introduced for physical, psychological and emotional support for mothers.
children with developmental disabilities;experiences;mothers;Parenting;qualitative research
Supported by : 창신대학교
- Statistical Korean, 2015 Survey on physical condition of the disabled. https://kostat.go.kr/policy/quality/qt_dl/5/1/index.board?bmode...bSeq
- M. S. Yoon, "Service Status and Policy Implementation Plan for Adult Developmental Disabled in Seoul", Policy Report, no.154, pp.1-17, 2013.
- C. Y. Jeun, M. Seo, "Grounded Theoretical Approach to the Life of Mothers as a Caretaker of Children with a Severe Disability", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol.13, no.4, pp.239-249, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.239 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.04.239
- M. Y. Kim, H. Y. Koo, I. S. Kwon, S. O. Kim, T. W. Kim, W. O. Oh, H. O. Yoon, S. Y. Lee, S. E. Jung. "Children's Nursing Series", Seoul : Gunja, 2007.
- L. M. Glidden, F. J. Billings, B. M. Jobe, "Personality, coping style and well-being of parents rearing children with developmental disabilities", Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, vol.50, no.12, pp.949-962, 2006. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2788.2006.00929.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2788.2006.00929.x
- S. Y. Jeong, J. C. Cho, "Original Articles : A Comparative Study on Rearing Stress and Family Function between Mothers who has Autistic and Normal Children", Korean Journal Korean Academic Psychiatry Mental Health Nurse, vol.16, no.3, pp.258-266. 2007.
- J. Y. Choi, Y. R. Yang, J. H. Kim. "Effects of Cognitive-Behavioral Parent Training Program for Parents of Children with Developmental Disorders" Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, vol.2. no.1. p.1-16. 2004
- S. U. Kim, "Marriage and family": Seoul : Hakjisa, 2006..
- J. S. Ko, "The relationships among the parenting burden, depression and self- esteem of mothers of the child with disabilities", Journal of special education : theory and practice. vol.9, no.1, pp 1-17, 2008.
- Y. H. Nam, "The device for parenting burden mitigation of mental retardation children and youth", Journal of Youth Welfare. vol.4, no.1, pp41-58, 2002.
- H. J. Chung, S. S. Kim. "A Study on the Effect of Parenting Stress and Family Communication on Disability Acceptance in Mothers of Children with Developmental Disabilities - The Moderating Effects of Social Support", Journal of Rehabilitation Research, vol.17, no.2, pp 69-95, 2013.
- K. I. Han, J. H. Kim. "An Analysis of Child-Rearing Experience among Mothers of Children with Cerebral Palsy", Korean Journal of Physical, Multiple, & Health Disabilities, vol.49, pp.277-297. 2007. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2007.49..277 https://doi.org/10.20971/kcpmd.2007.49..277
- J. Bradshaw, D. Lawton, "Tracing the causes of stress in families with handicapped children", British Journal of Social Work, vol.8, no.2, pp.181-192, 1978. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bjsw.a056938 https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.bjsw.a056938
- P. L. Munhall, C. O. Boyd. Nursing research : a qualitative perspective. Sudbury, Mass. : Jones and Bartlett, 2000.
- P. L. Munhall, Nursing Research Sudbury, MA : Jones & Bartlett Learning, 2012.
- A. Giorgi, "Advanced Workshop on the Descriptive Phenomenological Method", In Korean Qualitative Research Center(ed.), Symposium of Nursing College of Ewha Womans University: Qualitative Research Methodology. Seoul: Korean Qualitative Research Center. 2004.
- E. Guba, Y. Lincoln, Fourth generation evaluation. Newbury Park: Sage, 1989.
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. A study on people with disablities. 2006
- J. Y. Kim, H. J. Yoon. "A Study on the Parenting Experiences of Fathers of Children with Disabilities", Special Education Research, vol.12, no.3, pp 333-356, 2013. https://doi.org/10.18541/ser.2013.10.12.3.333
- K. E. Yeo, "Psychological Understanding of Special Children" : Seoul : Yangsewon, 2008.
- K. Kamphaus, C. Reynplds. Behavior system for children (2nd ed.). Bloomington, MN:NCS Person, Inc, 2007.
- K. Y. Lee, I. S. Park, "The experience of the family members with mentally retarded children", Qualitative Research, vol.8, no.1, pp.21-37, 2007.
- Y. W. Kim, Y. S. Kim. "Curriculum Management Strategies for Quality Education of Mentally Retarded Children", Journal of Asia-Pacific Special Education, vol.1, no.3, 2001.
- T. J. Hamner, P. H. Turner, Parenting in Contemporary Society. englewood Cliff, Nj : Prentice-Hall Inc. 1985.
- I. J. Lee, Y. S. Bang, B. Y. Son. "The Effects of Family Resilience on Parenting Stress and Problem-Solving Ability of Mothers of Children with Disabilities", Journal of the Korea Entertainment Industry Association, vol.9, no.1, pp251-261, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.03.9.1.251 https://doi.org/10.21184/jkeia.2015.03.9.1.251
- J. H. Kim, "Family and special children's understanding and education" : Seoul : Kyoyookbook, 2002.
- M. S. Choi, "Family involvement and support for children with disabilities" : Seoul Hakjisa, 2002.