- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Nursing College Students' Adherence to Prevention Compliance Behavior of Blood-Born Infection
간호대학생의 혈액매개감염 예방행위 실천도에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Ryu, Seong-Mi (Department of Nursing, Gwangju Health University) ;
- Kong, Jeong-Hyeon (Department of Nursing, JinJu Health College) ;
- Choi, Hye-Ok (Department of Nursing, JinJu Health College)
- Received : 2018.05.04
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The purpose of this study is to identify nursing college students' knowledge, awareness and adherence to preventive behavior of blood-borne infection, and the factors affecting the adherence to preventive behavior of blood-borne infection. This study was carried out for 475 juniors in university who have completed clinical practice at the nursing college located in G city from December 1 to 15, 2017. The study findings showed that knowledge score, awareness and adherence to preventive behavior of blood-borne infection were 13.13 points(0-18 points), 4.18 points and 4.34 points, respectively. Nursing college students' adherence to preventive behavior of blood-borne infection showed a positive correlation between knowledge of blood-borne infection and awareness of blood-borne infection, The factors affecting the adherence to preventive behavior of blood-borne infection were found to be age, education experience, exposure, knowledge of blood infection, and the explanatory power of these variables was 16.3%. Therefore, it was found to be necessary to develop and apply a standardized education protocol in ward units for nursing college students to reduce the incidence of exposure to blood-borne infection sources in nursing college students.
Awareness;Blood-Borne Infection;Compliance;Knowledge;Nursing Students
Supported by : 광주보건대학교
- E. A. Kim, "Occupational Diseases of Health Care Workers", HANYANG MEDICAL REVIEWS, Vol.30, No.4, pp.265-273, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2010.30.4.265 https://doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2010.30.4.265
- H. S. Lim, Y. S. Ahn, "Occupational disease among health care worked approved by Korea labor welfare corporation", Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol.15, No.2, pp.196-204, 2003. UCI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-000627.2003.15.2.002
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC), "The national healthcare safety network manual. http://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/HSPmanual/HPS_manual,pdf, 7-11, 2009.
- S. Y. Hong, Y. S. Kwon, H. O. Park, "Nursing students' awareness and performance on infection control in the hospital", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.18, No.2, pp.293-302, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.2.293
- S. N. Park, K. M. Kim, S. J. Han, "Needlestick/sharps injuries in nursing students in Korea: A Descriptive survey", Korean Journal Nosocomial Infection Control, Vol.15, No.1, pp.41-47, 2010. UCI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-SER000008654.2010.15.1.003
- J. H. Seo, E. Y. Jung, "Factors influencing nursing students' performance on standard precautions of infection control", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, Vol.19, No.2, pp.69-75, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2017.19.2.69 https://doi.org/10.7586/jkbns.2017.19.2.69
- J. E. Cha, J. Y. Cho, Y. G. Kim, G. H. Nam, S. Y. Lee, S. Y. Lee, A. R. Lee, J. Y. Lee, S. B. Chae, "Nursing Students' Safety-Climate, Perception and Performance of Standard Precautions for Healthcare-associated Infection Control", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.18, No.8, pp.72-83, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.8.72 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.8.72
- M. S. Kim, J. S. Kim, "Predictors for standard precautions compliance in healthcare-associated infection control", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.17, No.12, pp.569-581, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.12.569 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.12.569
- H. J. Kim, N. C. Kim, "The status of blood body fluid exposure and affecting factors among nursing students including knowledge, performance regarding standard precautions", The Journal of the Korean Society for School & Community Health Education, Vol.15, No.3, pp.17-30, 2014. UCI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-002090.2014.15.3.006
- Y. H. Sung, H. K. Nam, "The study of the knowledge and performance of nursing students for the nosocomial infection control", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.15, No.1, pp.40-49, 2006.
- N. Kosgeroglu, U. Ayranci, E. Vardareli, S. Dincer, "Occupational exposure to hepatitis infection among Turkish nurses: frequency of needle exposure, sharp injuries and vaccination", Epidemiology and Infection, Vol.132, No.1, pp.27-33, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0950268803001407 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268803001407
- S. J. Lee, J. Y. Park, N. R. Jo, "Influence of knowledge and awareness on nursing students' performance of standard infection control guidelines", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol.23, No.4, pp.347-358, 2017. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.4.347 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2017.23.4.347
- M. H. Jeong, "Survey of exposure to blood and fluids, knowledge, awareness and performance on standard precautions of infection control in nursing Students", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.15, No.4, pp.316-329, 2015. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.04.316 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.04.316
- J. R. Choi, I. S. Ko, Y. Y. Yim, "Factors influencing nursing students' performance of infection control", Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol.23, No.2, pp.136-148, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.2.136 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.2.136
- J. S. Choi, "Development and evaluation of web-based, blood-borne infection control program", Unpublished Theses, Master's Degree in Seoul University graduate, 2011.
- Korean Society for Nosocomial Infection Control, "Infection control and prevention in healthcare facilities", 4th ed. Seoul: Hanmibook, 17-21, 116-120, 207, 2011.
- Korea Occupational Safety Health Agency, "Occupational Safety & Health Research", http://oshri.kosha.or.kr/cms/board/Download.jsp?fileld=76930,pdf, 34-43, 2012.
- N. Y. Kim, S. Y. Jeong, "Perception on and behaviors for blood-borne infection prevention among operating room nurses", Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol.22, No.3, pp.276-284, 2013. UCI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-000921.2016.22.3.001
- S. Y. Yang, H. N. Lim, "Awareness and performance on standard precautions of hospital-acquired infection control in nursing students: The mediating effect of internal health locus of control", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.23, No.4, pp.378-388, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.378 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2017.23.4.378
- L. J. Labrague, R. A. Rosales, M. M. Tizon, "Knowledge of and compliance with standard precautions among student nurses", International Journal of Advanced Nursing Studies, Vol.1, No.2, pp.84-97, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.14419/ijans.v1i2.132 https://doi.org/10.14419/ijans.v1i2.132
- J. Y. Oh, J. Y. Mun, H. K. Oh, "Affecting factors on performance of nursing students regarding standard precaution for healthcare associated infection control and prevention", Journal of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol.41, No.3, pp.270-277, 84-97, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.3.270 https://doi.org/10.21032/jhis.2016.41.3.270
- K. Hambridge, A. Nichols, R. Endacott, "The impact of sharps injuries on student nurses: a systemic review", British Journal of Nursing, Vol.25, No.19, pp.1064-1071, 2016. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2016.25.19.1064 https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2016.25.19.1064
- H. Handiyani, L. M. Kurniawidjaja, D. I. Irawaty, R. Damayanti, "The effective needle stick injury prevention strategies for nursing students in the clinical settings: a literature review", Enfermeria Clinica, Vol.28, No.1, pp.167-171, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1130-8621(18)30060-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1130-8621(18)30060-3
- M. Suliman, M. A. Qadire, M. Alazzam, S. Aloush, "Students nurses' knowledge and prevalence of needle stick injury in Jordan", Nurse Education Today, Vol.60, pp.23-27, 2018. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2017.09.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2017.09.015
- H. S. Yu, "Factors on influencing performance on standard precaution of infection control in nursing students", Journal of the Korean Data Analysis, Vol.19, No.4, pp.2205-2217, 2017.