- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Flipped Learning based Health Assessment on Academic Achievement of Nursing Students
플립드 러닝 기반 건강사정 교육이 간호학생의 학업성취도에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Haeran (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Chosun University) ;
- Kim, Eunjung (Department of Nursing, Honam University)
- Received : 2018.05.11
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of flipped learning-based health assessment education on academic achievement of nursing students. The subjects of the study included nursing students attending second year at university. For 10 weeks, the experimental group was exposed to flipped learning-based classes, and the control group was provided with traditional lectures and team learning-based classes. In the intermediate evaluation, the knowledge and performance scores of the experimental group and the control group were statistically significant, and in the final evaluation, the knowledge and performance scores of the experimental group and the control group were statistically significant. The integrated knowledge score, evaluated three times after the end of the training, was higher in the experimental group than in the control group. These results suggest that flipped learning is an effective teaching and learning method for improving knowledge and performance of nursing students. Therefore, the application of flipped learning in various nursing education areas should be studied.
Flipped learning;Academic achievement;Knowledge;Performance;Nursing
- S. E. Schoper, "Media Review: The Innovative University: Changing the DNA of Higher Education From the Inside Out", Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 230-2, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1515/jsarp-2013-0017 https://doi.org/10.1515/jsarp-2013-0017
- J. O'Flaherty, C. Phillips, "The use of flipped classrooms in higher education: A scoping review", The Internet and Higher Education, vol. 25, pp. 85-95, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2015.02.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.iheduc.2015.02.002
- V. P. S. Njie-Carr, E. Ludeman, M. C. Lee, D. Dordunoo, N. M. Trocky, L. S. Jenkins, "An Integrative Review of Flipped Classroom Teaching Models in Nursing Education", Journal of Professional Nursing, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 133-44, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2016.07.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2016.07.001
- J. L. Jensen, T. A. Kummer, P. D. d. M. Godoy, "Improvements from a flipped classroom may simply be the fruits of active learning", CBE-Life Sciences Education, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 5, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.14-08-0129 https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.14-08-0129
- J. Moraros, A. Islam, S. Yu, R. Banow, B. Schindelka, "Flipping for success: evaluating the effectiveness of a novel teaching approach in a graduate level setting", BMC medical education, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 27, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-015-0317-2 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-015-0317-2
- V. Betihavas, H. Bridgman, R. Kornhaber, M. Cross, "The evidence for 'flipping out': A systematic review of the flipped classroom in nursing education", Nurse Education Today, vol. 38, pp. 15-21, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.12.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.12.010
- J. Bergmann, A. Sams. Flipped learning: Gateway to student engagement, Oregon: International Society for Technology in Education, 2014.
- O. S. Kim, S. M. Sung, "A Study on Perception and Performance of Health Assessment among Clinical Nurses", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 225-36, 2007.
- J. F. Giddens, "A survey of physical assessment techniques performed by RNs: lessons for nursing education", Journal of Nursing Education, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 83-7, 2007.
- S. L. West, "Physical assessment: whose role is it anyway?", Nursing in critical care, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 161-7, 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1362-1017.2006.00161.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1362-1017.2006.00161.x
- R. Lesa, A. Dixon, "Physical assessment: implications for nurse educators and nursing practice", International Nursing Review, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 166-72, 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2007.00536.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1466-7657.2007.00536.x
- L. Guan, N. Yuan, Y. Xie, J. Feng, B. Sun, L. Li, editors. A study on the application of flipped classroom teaching in higher vocational education, Computer Science & Education (ICCSE), 2015 10th International Conference; 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCSE.2015.7250358 https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCSE.2015.7250358
- K. Fulton, "Upside down and inside out: Flip your classroom to improve student learning", Learning & Leading with Technology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 12-7, 2012.
- S. Kim, M. Jin, K. Y. Lim, editors. Research Trends on Flipped Learning in South Korea. Ed Media: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology; 2015
- S. G. Wilson, "The flipped class: A method to address the challenges of an undergraduate statistics course", Teaching of Psychology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 193-9, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0098628313487461 https://doi.org/10.1177/0098628313487461
- M. J. Lage, G. J. Platt, M. Treglia, "Inverting the classroom: A gateway to creating an inclusive learning environment", The Journal of Economic Education, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 30-43, 2000. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2307/1183338 https://doi.org/10.2307/1183338
- D. Y. Lee, "Research on developing instructional design models for flipped learning", Journal of Digital Convergence, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 83-92, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.83 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.83
- C. Demetry, editor Work in progress-An innovation merging "classroom flip" and team-based learning. Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2010 IEEE; 2010
- C. B. Della Ratta, "Flipping the classroom with team-based learning in undergraduate nursing education", Nurse Educator, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 71-4, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000112 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0000000000000112
- M. L. Wallace, J. D. Walker, A. M. Braseby, M. S. Sweet, "Now, What Happens During Class?" Using Team-Based Learning to Optimize the Role of Expertise Within the Flipped Classroom", Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, vol. 25, no. 3, 2014.
- E. G. Kim, "Application of Flipped Learning in Database Course", Journal of the Korea Institute of Information and Communication Engineering, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 847-56, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2016.20.4.847 https://doi.org/10.6109/jkiice.2016.20.4.847
- J. Sun, J. Flores, J. C. Molluzzo, J. Lawler, J. Manneh, M. Frydenberg, et al., "Information Systems Education Journal", Information Systems Education Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, 2013.
- T. Park, H. Cha, "Investigation of teachers' awareness of flipped classroom to explore its educational feasibility", The Journal of Korean Association of Computer Education, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 81-97, 2015.
- J. D. Tune, M. Sturek, D. P. Basile, "Flipped classroom model improves graduate student performance in cardiovascular, respiratory, and renal physiology", Advances in physiology education, vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 316-20, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00091.2013 https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00091.2013
- D. Berrett, "How 'flipping' the classroom can improve the traditional lecture", The Education Digest, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 36, 2012.
- J. Bishop, M. Verleger, editors. Testing the flipped classroom with model-eliciting activities and video lectures in a mid-level undergraduate engineering course. Frontiers in Education Conference, 2013 IEEE; 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/FIE.2013.6684807 https://doi.org/10.1109/FIE.2013.6684807
- D. Raths, "Nine video tips for a better flipped classroom", The Education Digest, vol. 79, no. 6, pp. 15, 2014.
- A. Miller, "Five best practices for the flipped classroom", Edutopia Posted online, vol. 24, pp. 2-12, 2012.