- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Female Nursing College Students in the State of Drinking, Drinking Motives, and Problem Drinking
간호대 여학생의 음주실태, 음주동기와 문제음주의 상태 비교
- Kim, Jong-Im (Department of Nursing, Jungwon University)
- 김종임 (중원대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2018.05.30
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
The purpose of this study was to compare female nursing college students with respect to drinking habit, drinking motives, and drinking problems. (Ed note: confirm edited version; original is a bit unclear in intent) Subjects include nursing college students in some areas, and data were collected between April and May, 2018. A total of 181 questionnaires were analyzed. The frequency analysis was used to examine the differences between the normal and drinking-problem groups. Pearson's correlation analysis was used to examine the correlations of drinking problems, and logistic regression analysis was used to analyze the factors related to drinking problems. The findings show that the frequency of drinking, rate of drinking, drinking motives, life stress, and prior experiences with drinking problems recorded a high risk ratio for drinking problems. Specifically, the group with a drinking frequency of 2~3 times per week showed a risk ratio that was 21.53 times higher than the group with a drinking frequency of 1~4 times per year. The group of higher drinking motives recorded a risk ratio that was 5.96 times higher than the group of lower drinking motives. The group of higher experiences with drinking problems showed a risk ratio that was 8.80 times higher than the group of lower experiences with drinking problems. In conclusion, the frequency of drinking, rate of drinking, drinking motives, life stress, and experiences with drinking problems were factors highly related to the drinking problems in female college students. The results highlight that careful evaluation of drinking habit of college students are needed. Moreover, periodic temperance education and programs designed to identify and prevent drinking problems are necessary to lower the risk of developing drinking problems and promote a safe drinking culture.
Alcohol dringking;AUDIT-K;Life stress;Problem drinking;University student
- J. Joo, "Korean culture of heavy drinking and directions on policy related to alcoholism", The Korean Association for Public Welfare Administration, Vol.19, No.1, pp.73-115, 2009.
- R. A. Breslow, P. M. Guenther, W. Juan, B. I. Graubard, "Alcoholic beverage consumption, nutrient intakes, and diet quality in the US adult population, 1999-2006", Journal of the American Dietetic Association, Vol.110, No.4, pp.551-562, 2010. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.12.026 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2009.12.026
- B. J. Kim, B. S. Kim, J. H. Kang, "Alcohol consumption and incidence of metabolic syndrome in Korean men: A 3-year follow-up study", Circulation Journal, Vol.76, No.10, pp.2363-2367, 2012. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1253/circj.CJ-12-0315 https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.CJ-12-0315
- K. H. Suh, S. A. Yang, "The rule of alcohol use as coping method with stressors of college students", Journal of Korea Youth Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp.331-352, 2011.
- Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(Internet) Seoul: Ministry of Health & Welfare: 2015(From: Https://knhanes.ods.go.kr/knhane
- H. S. Rhu, M. J. Back, "Factors Influencing the drinking behavior in female university students", Journal of Korean Academy community health nursing, Vol.23, No.3, pp.307-315, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.307
- M. Kim, K. Shin, "A Study of the smoking university and college students", Journal of The Korean Society of Integrative Medicine, Vol.3, No.4, pp.23-27, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15268/ksim.2015.3.4.023
- E. L. Son, S. D. Ko, "Drinking behavior and factors that affect problem drinking among korean female high-school Students", Korean Society of Alcohol Science and Health Behavior, Vol.12, No.2, pp.155-162, 2011.
- B. M. Bewick, B. Mulhern, M. Barkham, K. Trusler, A. J. Hilll, W. B. Stiles, "Changes in undergraduate student alcohol consumption as they progress through university", BMC Public Health, Vol.8, No.1, Article ID 163, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-163 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-163
- H. E. Kim, K. Park, E. H. Jung, J. Y. Han, "The Effects of perceived stress, dysfunctional metacognition on problematic drinking of female university student, Paper presented at", Korean psychology association conference, Vol.1, pp.340-341, 2009.
- B. H. Jeon, C. W. Kim, S. E. Kim, S. J. Lee, D. H. Lee, H. Noh, "Does The Drinking Behavior of Interns and Residents Affect Their Attitudes Toward the Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) Regarding Alcohol?", Journal of The Korean Society of Emergency Medicine, Vol.21, No.4, pp.495-503, 2010.
- P. H. Park, M. H. Chon, G. Y. Cho, D. H. Kim, "A Comparison of drinking refusal self-efficacy and mental health between two groups of korean nursing students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.17, No.1, pp.110-119, 2011. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.110 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.1.110
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, A. Buchner, "G*POWER 3: A Flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedial sciences", Behavior Research Methods, Vol.39, No.2, pp.175-191, 2007. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- H. U. Shin, "The Relationship between drinking motives and drinking problems", Korean Psychological Association. Vol.5, No.1, pp.93-109. 1999.
- W. M. Cox, E. Klinger, "A Motivational model for alcohol use", Journal of Abnormal Psychology, Vol.97, No.2, pp.168-180, 1990. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.2.168 https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.97.2.168
- M. L. Cooper, "Motivations for alcohol use among adolescents: Development and validation of a four-factor model", Psychological Assessment, Vol.6, No.2, pp.117-128. 1994. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1040-35220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-3518.104.22.168
- B. U. Lee, C. H. Lee, P. G. Lee, M. J. Namk, "AUDIT : Alcohol use disorders identification test", Korea Academy of Addiction Psychiatry, Vol.4, No.2, pp.83-92. 2000.
- J. S. Kim, M. K. Oh, B. K. Park, M. K. Lee, G. J. Kim, "Screening criteria of alcoholism by alcohol use disorders identification test(AUDIT) in Korea", Korean J Fam Med, Vol.20, No.9, pp.1152-1159, 1999.
- H. W. Shin, "Effects of personality and drinking motivation on drinking problems", Korea University Graduate School Doctoral Thesis, 1998.
- K. K. Chon, K. H. Kim, J. S. Yi, "Development of the revised life stress scale for college students", The Korean journal of health psychology, Vol.5, No.2, pp.316-335, 2000.
- L. S. Radloff, CES-D(Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale), 1977.
- K. K. Chon, S. J. Choe, B. C. Yang. "Epidemiologic studies-depression scale in the korean version", The Korean journal of psychopharmacology, Vol.6, No.1, pp.59-76. 2001.
- E. Y. Do, Y. R. Hong, "Factors affecting pregnant women's drinking", Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol.31, No.3, pp.284-307, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2011.31.3.284
- J. H. Kim, S. Lee, J. Chow, J. Lau, A. Tsang, J. Choi, S. M. Griffiths, "Prevalence and the factors associated with binge drinking, alcohol abuse, and Alcohol dependence: A population study of Chinese adults in Hong Kong", Alcohol and Alcoholism, Vol.43, No.3, pp.360-370, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agm181 https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agm181
- S. Lemke, T. K. Schutte, P. Brennan, "Gender differences in social influences and stressors linked to increased drinking", Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, Vol.69, pp.695-702, 2008. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2008.69.695 https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2008.69.695
- J. A. Oliver, M. D. Blank, K. J. Van Rensburg, D. A. Mac Queen, T. H. Brandon, D. J. Drobes, "Nicotine interactions with low-dose alcohol: pharmacological influences on smoking and drinking motivation", Journal of Abnormal Psychology, No.1222, No.4, pp.1154-1165, 2013. DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0034538 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0034538
- M. S. Yun, H. S, Lee, "The Relationship between depression, job preparing stress and suicidal ideation among college students: moderating effect of problem drinking", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol.19, No.3, pp.109-137. 2011.
- S. H. Lee, S. E. Chung, "Drinking experiences of female college students", Women's Health, Vol.12, No.1, pp.1-19, 2011.
- M. R. Kong, Y. J. Chung, "A Story on the influence of college life stress on the mental health of college students: Focus on the college of Pyongtaek City", Journal of Rehabilitation Psychology, Vol.19, No.1, pp.1-22, 2013.
- S. H. Chung, "Factors influencing problem drinking among female college students in Korea", Mental Health Social Work, Vol.27, pp.176-198, 2007.
- B. Y. Jung, Relations of stress with drinking behavior and drinking related problems, Unpublished master's thesis, Inha University, Incheon, 2009.