- Volume 19 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Determinants of dividend payout: Advance disclosure and ordinary disclosure
결산배당 사전공시기업과 사후공시기업의 배당 결정요인 비교 분석
- Khil, Jaeuk (College of Business and Economics, Hanyang University-ERICA) ;
- Han, Sangjeon (College of Business and Economics, Hanyang University-ERICA)
- Received : 2018.05.02
- Accepted : 2018.08.03
- Published : 2018.08.31
This study examines the differences in the determinants of dividend payout across advance disclosure firms and ordinary disclosure firms using firm-level data from firms listed on the Korea Exchange. Results are as follows: First, firm characteristics of advance disclosure firms significantly differ from those of ordinary disclosure firms in all variables except sales growth and operating risk variables. Second, regression results show that the determinants of dividend payout from ordinary disclosure firms are generally similar to results of previous studies. However, determinants of advance disclosure firms contain only few variables such as Tobin's Q, corporate bond yield, and operating cash flows from conventional factors. Third, logistic regression results show that factors affecting the probability of dividend payment substantially differ across advance disclosure firms and ordinary disclosure firms. These results suggest that the motivation and incentive of dividend payout from firms choosing advance disclosure are substantially and systematically different from those of ordinary disclosure firms.
Advance Disclosure;Determinant;Dividend;Information Contents;Ordinary Disclosure
- J. Aharony and I. Swary, "Quarterly dividend and earnings announcements and stockholders' returns: an empirical analysis," Journal of Finance, vol. 35, pp. 1-12, 1980. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1980.tb03466.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1980.tb03466.x
- P. Asquith and D. W. Mullins Jr, "The impact of initiating dividend payments on shareholders' wealth," Journal of Business, vol. 56, pp. 77-96, 1983. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1086/296187 https://doi.org/10.1086/296187
- M. Miller and K. Rock, "Dividend policy under asymmetric information," Journal of Finance, vol. 40, pp. 1031-1051, 1985. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1985.tb02362.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1985.tb02362.x
- P. M. Healy and K. G. Palepu, "Earnings information conveyed by dividend initiations and omissions," Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 21, pp. 149-176, 1988. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(88)90059-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(88)90059-1
- L. H. P. Lang and R. H. Litzenberger, "Dividend announcements: cash flow signaling vs free cash flow hypothesis," Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 24, pp. 181-192, 1989. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(89)90077-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(89)90077-9
- R. Michaely, R. H. Thaler, and K. Womack, "Price reactions to dividend initiations and omissions: Overreaction or drift?," Journal of Finance, vol. 50, pp. 573-608, 1995. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb04796.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1995.tb04796.x
- H. DeAngelo, L. DeAngelo, and D. Skinner, "Reversal of fortune, dividend signaling and the disappearance of sustained earnings growth," Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 40, pp. 341-371, 1996. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(95)00850-E https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(95)00850-E
- G. Grullon, R. Michaely, and B. Swaminathan, "Are dividend changes a sign of firm maturity?," Journal of Business, vol. 75, pp. 387-424, 2002. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1086/339889 https://doi.org/10.1086/339889
- S. Kim and J. Kim, "Information contents of dividend and ex-dividend day stock returns," Korean Journal of Financial Management, vol. 21, pp. 1-32, 2004.
- C. E. Crutchley and R. S. Hansen, "A test of the agency theory of managerial ownership, corporate leverage, and corporate dividends," Financial Management, vol. 18, pp. 11-24, 1989.
- G. R. Jensen, D. P. Solberg, and T. S. Zorn, "Simultaneous determination of insider ownership, debt, and dividend policies," The Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, vol. 27, pp. 247-263, 1992. DOI: http://doi.org/10.2307/2331370 https://doi.org/10.2307/2331370
- K. H. Yook, "Empirical study of agency problem between shareholders and managers, and dividend policy," Korean Journal of Financial Studies, vol. 11, pp. 143-166, 1989.
- J. D. Lee, and J. T. Kong, "The relations between financial factors of companies and cash dividend rate," Korean Journal of Financial Studies, vol. 16, pp. 437-465, 1994.
- C. J. Kim, "Ownership structure, capital structure and dividend policy," Korean Journal of Financial Management, vol. 13, pp. 51-78, 1996.
- J. Y. Won, and S. M. Kim, "Study of Manager's view on the dividend policy of companies," The Journal of Finance and Banking, vol. 5, pp. 131-158, 1999.
- K. S. Park, E. J. Lee, and I. M. Lee, "Determinants of Dividend Policy of Korean Firms," Asian Review of Financial Research, vol. 16, pp. 195-229, 2003.