- Volume 34 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Developmemt of Rice Husk Pellets as Bio-filter Media of Bio Scrubber Odor Removal System
왕겨펠렛 생물담체 개발 및 이를 이용한 bio scrubber형 악취제거 시스템 성능평가
- Bae, Jiyeol (Department of Land, Water and Environment Research, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Han, Sangjong (Research Strategic Planning Department, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology) ;
- Park, Ki Ho (KED Co., Ltd) ;
- Kim, Kwang-Soo (Department of Land, Water and Environment Research, Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology)
- Received : 2018.06.29
- Accepted : 2018.08.26
- Published : 2018.08.31
The rice husk contains nutrients which can be easily utilized by microorganisms, and also has a water retaining ability, which played a crucial part in enabling it to become a biofilter media. In this study, we evaluated the applicability of rice husk pellet bio-scrubber as a microbiological carrier. The pelletization experiment of rice husk as a biological media was performed using PVA and EVA binder. Also, the feasibility tests of rice husk as a biological media for odor removal were carried out in order to know whether rice-husk contains useful components as a media for microbiological growth or not. Lastly, a combined test for odor gas absorption and biological oxidation was conducted using a lab scale bio-filter set-up packed with rice-husk pellets as wet-scrubber. The major components of the rice husk were carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and oxygen, while carbon acted as the main ingredient which comprised up to 23.00%. The C : N : P ratio was calculated as 45 : 1 : 2. Oxygen uptake rate, yield and decay rate of the rice husk eluent was calculated to be
Supported by : 환경산업기술원
Ahmed, W., Shareefdeen, Z.M., Jabbar, N.A. (2014) Dynamic modeling and analysis of biotrickling filters in continuous operation for
$H_2S$removal, Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 16(8), 1757-1765. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10098-013-0697-0
- AMBIO Bio filtration Ltd (2016) Biofiltration Process. www.ambio.ca/operation.php.
- Bajpai, P. (2014) Biological Odour Treatment, Springer, Heidelberg-New York-Dor drecht-London.
- Chen, L., Hoff, S.J. (2009) Mitigating odors from agricultural facilities: a review of literature concerning biofilters, Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 25(5), 751-766. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.28854
- Chen, Q., Ni, J. (2012) Ammonium removal by Agrobacterium sp. LAD9 capacble of heterotrophic nitrification-aerobic denitrification. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, 113, 619-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiosc.2011.12.012
- Cherdtrakulkiat, R., Boonpangrak, S., Sinthupoom, N., Prachayasittikul, S., Ruchirawat, S., Prachayasittikul, V. (2016) Derivatives (halogen, nitro and amino) of 8-hydroxyquinoline with highly potent antimicrobial and antioxidant activities, Biochemistry and Biophysics Reports, 6, 135-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrep.2016.03.014
- Chu, L., Wang, J. (2016) Denitrification of groundwater using PHBV blends in packed bed reactors and the microbial diversity, Chemosphere, 155, 463-470. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2016.04.090
- Chung, Y.C., Huang, C., Tseng, C.P. (2001) Biological elimination of H2S and NH3 from waste gases by biofilter packed with immobilized heterotrophic bacteria, Chemosphere, 43, 1043-1050. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(00)00211-3
- Estrada, J.M., Kraakman, N.J.R.B., Munoz, R., Lebrero, R. (2011) A comparative analysis of odour treatment technologies in wastewater treatment plants. Environmental Science & Technology, 45, 1100-1106. https://doi.org/10.1021/es103478j
- Huh, M. (2007) Kinetic Theory on Biological deodorization by bioscrubbers. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 29(7), 739-746.
Jeon, U., Song, M., Sa, J. (1998) Removal Characteristics of
$H_2S$in a Bioscrubber, Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 1, 143-145.
- Joint research center (JRC) (2016) Best Available Techniques (BAT) Reference Document for Common Waste Water and Waste Gas Treatment/Management Systems in the Chemical Sector, 16-19.
- Kennes, C., Veiga, M.C. (2001) Conventional biofilters. In: Bioreactors for Waste Gas Treatment, Springer Science & Business Media, 47-98.
- Kennes, C., Veiga, M.C. (2010) Technologies for the abatement of odours and volatile inorganic and organic compounds, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 23, 1-6
- Khardenavis, A.A., Kapley, A., Purohit, H.J. (2007) Simultaneous nitrification and denitrification by diverse Diaphorobacter sp., Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology 77, 403-409. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-007-1176-5
- Kim, H., Park, C., Kim, H., Jeong, S., Na, Y. (1998) Odor Removal of Sulfur Compounds using Montmorillonites and Rice Hulls. Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, Fall domestic conference, 541-542.
- Kim, K.S., Kim, I.T. (2009) Feasibility Test of Rice-Husk as Biological Media for Odor Removal. Journal of Korean Society of Water Science and Technology, 17(4), 105-112.
- Kim, M., Jeong, S., Yoon, S.J., Cho, S.J., Kim, Y.H., Kim, M.J., Ryu, E.Y., Lee, S. (2008) Aerobic denitrification of Pseudomonas putida AD-21 at different C/N ratios. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, 106, 498-502. https://doi.org/10.1263/jbb.106.498
- Kulikowska, D., Jozwiak, T., Kowai, P., Ciesieski, S. (2010) Municipal landfill leachate nitrification in RBC biofilm-process efficiency and molecular analysis of microbial structure, Bioresource Technology, 101, 3400-3405. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2009.12.050
- Lioyd, D., Boddy, L., Davies, K.J.P. (1987) Persistence of bacterial denifrification capacity under aerobic conditions -the rule rather than the exception, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 45, 185-190. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1574-6968.1987.tb02354.x
- Liu, F., Fiencke, C., Guo, J., Rieth, R., Cuhls, C., Dong, R., Pfeiffer, E. (2017) Bioscrubber treatment of exhaust air from intensive pig production: Case study in northern Germany at mild climate condition, Engineering in Life Science, 17, 458-466. https://doi.org/10.1002/elsc.201600169
- Loriato, A., Salvador, N., Santos, J., Moreira, D.M., Costa Junior, N. (2012) Odour a vision on the existing regulation, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 30, 25-30.
- Marazioti, C., Kornarons, M., Lyberatos, G. (2003) Kinetic modeling of a mixed culture of Pseudomonas denitrificans and Bacillus subtilis under aerobic and anoxic operating conditions, Water Research, 37, 1239-1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00463-3
- Mudliar, S., Giri, B., Padoley, K., Satpute, D., Dixit, R., Bhatt, P., Pandey, R., Juwarkar, A., Vaidya, A. (2010) Bioreactors for treatment of VOCs and odours - a review. Journal of Environmental Management, 91, 1039-1054.
- Nicell, J.A. (2009) Assessment and regulation of odour impacts. Atmospheric Environment, 43, 196-206. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.09.033
Nisola, G.M., Cho, E., Orata, J.D., Redillas, M.C.F.R., Farnazo, D.M.C., Tuuguu, E., Chung, J.W. (2009)
$NH_3$gas absorption and bio-oxidation in a single bioscrubber system, Process Biochemistry, 44 (2), 161-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2008.10.004
- Reza, I., Huub, H.J.C., Marc, A.D., Edward, D.S. (2005) Literature review of air pollution control biofilters and biotrickling filters for odor and volatile organic compound removal, Environmental Progress, 24, 254-267. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.10077
- Samuel, M.S., Sivaramakrishna, A., Mehta, A. (2014) Degradation and detoxification of aflatoxin B1 by Pseudomonas putida, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 86, 202-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2013.08.026
- Sector available at: http://eippcb.jrc.ec.europa.eu/reference/BREF/CWW_Final_Draft_07_2014.pdf.
- Turgeon, N., Buelna, G., Dubois, S., Noel, J. (2009) Plante Development and optimization of an experimental bioscrubber for the control of rendering plant odours F.-B. Frechen (Ed.), Odours and VOCs: Measurement, Regulation and Control Techniques, Kassel University Press, Kassel, 198-206.
- Won, Y.S. (2007) Biotreatment technologes for Air pollution control, Clean Technology, 1, 1-15.
- Wonorahardjo, S., Ibnu, M.S., Budiasih, E. (2016) Sulfur dioxide and ammonia gas reduction using coconut cellulose and acetylated ceullose, Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Food Industry, 17(2), 179-188
- Zhao, B., He, Y.L., Hughes, J., Zhang, X.F. (2010) Heterotrophic nitrogen removal by a newly isolated Acinetobacter calcoaceticus HNR, Bioresource Technology, 101, 5194-5200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2010.02.043