- Volume 27 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Mediating Effect of Depression on the Relationship between Gambling Severity and Cognitive Distortion: Secondary Data Analysis of Korea Center on Gambling Problems
도박문제 심각도와 도박인지오류 간 우울의 매개효과: 도박문제치료 지역센터 자료 이차분석
- Lee, Keelyong (Department of Nursing, Suwon Science College) ;
- Hong, Jungah (Department of Nursing, The Ansan University)
- Received : 2018.09.13
- Accepted : 2018.12.02
- Published : 2018.12.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to test the mediating effect of depression on the relationship between gambling severity and cognitive distortion in Koreans with a gambling disorder. Methods: Secondary data from a comprehensive assessment of problematic gambling between 2015 and 2017 on Korea Center on Gambling Problems were used. The subjects in this study were 254 Koreans with that gambling disorder. Data were collected with self-report structured questionnaires which included individual characteristics, the Korean version of Problem Gambling Severity Index, the Center for the Epidemiologic Studies Depression, and the Gambling Related Cognitions Scale. Data were analyzed by using descriptive statistics, independent t-test, one-way ANOVA with the
- Korea Center on Gambling Problems. White paper on gambling problems management 2016. Seoul: Korea Center on Gambling Problems; 2017 September. 226 p. Available from:http://ngcc.go.kr/data/pdsView.do
- Choi D, Kim S. An integrative review of acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) for mental health problem. The Korean Journal of Stress Research. 2017;25(2):75-85. https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.2.75 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.2.75
- Oei TPS, Raylu N, Lai WW. Effectiveness of a self help cognitive behavioral treatment program for problem gamblers: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2018;34(2):581-595. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9723-1 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9723-1
- Levesque D, Sevigny S, Giroux I, Jacques C. Psychological vulnerability and problem gambling: the mediational role of cognitive distortions. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2018;34(3):807-822. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9740-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9740-0
- Lee JI, Kwon JH. Effects of mindfulness based cognitive therapy on recovery of gambling addicts: a case study. Cognitive Behavior Therapy in Korea. 2015;15(1):1-28.
- Oei TPS, Raylu N, Casey LM. Effectiveness of group and individual formats of a combined motivational interviewing and cognitive behavioral treatment program for problem gambling:a randomized controlled trial. Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapy. 2010;38(2):233-238. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465809990701 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465809990701
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders. 5th ed. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2013. 991 p.
- Wong DFK, Zhuang XY, Jackson A, Dowling N, Lo HHM. Negative mood states or dysfunctional cognitions: their independent and interactional effects in influencing severity of gambling among chinese problem gamblers in Hong Kong. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2018;34(3):631-645. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9714-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9714-2
- Kim KH. The stage of change of problem gamblers for gambling abstinence, motivation for change of gambling abstinence, gambling cognitive errors, and gambling refusal self-efficacy. [dissertation]. [Daegu]: Daegu University; 2013. 120 p.
- Raylu N, Oei TPS. The gambling related cognitions scale (GRCS):development, confirmatory factor validation and psychometric properties. Addiction. 2004;99(6):757-769. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00753.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00753.x
- Goodie AS, Fortune EE. Measuring cognitive distortions in pathological gambling: review and meta-analyses. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 2013;27(3):730-743. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031892 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0031892
- Leonard CA, Williams RJ. The relationship between gambling fallacies and problem gambling. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. 2016;30(6):694-704. https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000189 https://doi.org/10.1037/adb0000189
- Kallmen H, Andersson P, Andren A. Are irrational beliefs and depressive mood more common among problem gamblers than non-gamblers? A survey study of Swedish problem gamblers and controls. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2008;24(4):441-450. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-008-9101-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-008-9101-0
- Pfund RA, Peter SC, Whelan JP, Meyers AW. When does premature treatment termination occur? Examining session-bysession dropout among clients with gambling disorder. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2018;34(2):617-630. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9733-z https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-017-9733-z
- Yang KH, Chang MS, Kwak HW, Koo BH. The effects of irrational gambling belief and reports of wins on gambling behavior. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2012;17(2):371-384. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.2.006 https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2012.17.2.006
- Lee KL, Hong JA. Influences of cognitive distortion and depression on gambling severity in Koreans with gambling disorders. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2017;26(3):280-290. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2017.26.3.280 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2017.26.3.280
- Wood RTA, Griffiths MD. A qualitative investigation of problem gambling as an escape-based coping strategy. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice. 2007;80(1):107-125. https://doi.org/10.1348/147608306X107881 https://doi.org/10.1348/147608306X107881
- Quigley L, Yakovenko I, Hodgins DC, Dobson KS, El-Guebaly N, Casey DM, et al. Comorbid problem gambling and major depression in a community sample. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2015;31(4):1135-1152. https://doi.org/10.1007/S10899-014-9488-8 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-014-9488-8
- Thomsen KR, Callesen MB, Linnet J, Kringelbach ML, Moller A. Severity of gambling is associated with severity of depressive symptoms in pathological gamblers. Behavioural Pharmacology. 2009;20(5-6):527-536. https://doi.org/10.1097/FBP.0B013E3283305E7A https://doi.org/10.1097/FBP.0b013e3283305e7a
- Kwon SJ, Kim YN. Development of the cognitive-emotional model to predict actual internet gambling behavior. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2017;22(2):457-470.
- Lister JJ, Milosevic A, Ledgerwood DM. Psychological characteristics of problem gamblers with and without mood disorder. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2015;60(8):369-376. https://doi.org/10.1177/070674371506000806 https://doi.org/10.1177/070674371506000806
- Oei TP, Lin J, Raylu N. The relationship between gambling cognitions, psychological states, and gambling: a cross-cultural study of Chinese and Caucasians in Australia. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2008;39(2):147-161. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022107312587 https://doi.org/10.1177/0022022107312587
- Gee P, Coventry KR, Birkenhead D. Mood state and gambling:using mobile telephones to track emotions. British Journal of Psychology. 2005;96(1):53-66. https://doi.org/10.1348/000712604X15536 https://doi.org/10.1348/000712604X15536
- Choi EJ, Yang JN, Lee MH, So Y, Jung SM. The impact of family strengths on irrational gambling belief among male high school students: focusing on mediating effect of depression. Journal of School Social Work. 2011;21:57-81.
- Chon KK, Choi SC, Yang BC. Integrated adaptation of CES-D in Korea. The Korean Journal of Health Psychology. 2001;6(1):59-76.
- Hong JA. Factors influencing recognition of motivation for change in pathological gamblers. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2016;25(3):227-236. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.3.227 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.3.227
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1986;51(6):1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Pulford J, Bellringer M, Abbott M, Clarke D, Hodgins D, Williams J. Reasons for seeking help for a gambling problem: the experiences of gamblers who have sought specialist assistance and the perceptions of those have not. Journal of Gambling Studies. 2009;25(1):19-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-008-9112-x https://doi.org/10.1007/s10899-008-9112-x
- Toneatto T, Gunaratne M. Does the treatment of cognitive distortions improve clinical outcomes for problem gambling? Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy. 2009;39(4):221-229. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10879-009-9119-3 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10879-009-9119-3
- Lakey CE, Campbell WK, Brown KW, Goodie AS. Dispositional mindfulness as a predictor of the severity of gambling outcomes. Personality and Individual Differences. 2007;43(7):1698-1710. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.05.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2007.05.007