- Volume 52 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Usability Testing of Open Source Software for Digital Archiving
디지털 아카이브 구축을 위한 공개 소프트웨어 사용성 평가
- Received : 2018.07.19
- Accepted : 2018.08.13
- Published : 2018.08.31
This research aims to explore the possibility of open source software for creating digital archives of small organizations or ordinary people that run short of budget and professional workforce and may easily create digital archives without the help of a professional. To do so, this study suggested three open source software, AtoM, ArchivesSpace, and Omeka, for such use, and conducted usability tests with system designers and users who had no experience with open source software. The results of the usability testing was that AtoM, which was developed to support the records management system and user services of small organizations, proved satisfactory to both system designers and users. ArchivesSpace had too many required fields with it to create archives. Omeka greatly satisfied the system designers because it is possible to create archives with simple inputs on the item level. However, Omeka, which focuses on exhibition functions while neglecting search functions, registered low satisfaction among the users. Based on the results of the usability testing, this study suggested selection criteria of open source software for small organizations or ordinary individuals, namely, purposes, license, characteristics, service creation environment, advantages and disadvantages, functions, metadata, file type, and interoperability.
Digital archives;Digital archiving;Open Source Software;Usability Testing;AtoM;ArchivesSpace;Omeka
- Kwak, Seung-Jin. 2014. "Study on Usability Evaluation of Integrated Library System in Public Libraries." Journal of Socioal Science, 25(3): 501-527.
- Kim, Hyun-Hee et al. 2006. "A Study on the Improvement of the Institutional Repository Systems in the University Environment through Usability Tests." Journal of Korean Library and Information Science Society, 37(4): 327-350.
- Park, Taeyeon and Shin, Donghee. 2016. "Evaluation of Open-source Software for Participatory Digital Archives: Understanding System Requirements for No Gun Ri Digital Archives." Journal of Korean Society of Archives and Records, 16(1): 121-150.
- Seol, Moon-Won et al. 2014. "Development of Digital Archives Using Open Source Software to Document Mi-ryang Transmission Towers Construction Conflicts." Journal of Korean Society of Archives and Records Management, 14(4): 7-36. https://doi.org/10.14404/JKSARM.2014.14.4.007
- Shim, Gab-yong et al. 2015. "A Study on Availability of AtoM for Recording Korean Wave Culture Contents: A Case of K-Food Contents." The Korean Journal of Archival Studies, 43: 5-42.
- An, Dae-Jin and Yim, Jin-hee. 2016. "A Study on Using Open Source Software for Building a Digital Archive System." Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 33(3): 345-370. https://doi.org/10.3743/KOSIM.2016.33.3.345
- Yuk, Hye-In et al. 2015. "A Study on the Methods to Manage Private Records Utilizing AtoM(Access to Memory): Focused on 'Archive Village'." Journal of the Korean Biblia Society for Library and Information Science, 26(2): 79-105. https://doi.org/10.14699/kbiblia.2015.26.2.079
- National IT Industry Promotion Agency. 2017. Open Source Software Governance Guide for Public Institution and Local Government. Seoul: National IT Industry Promotion Agency.
- Andro, M., Asselin, E. and Maisonneuve, M. 2012. "Digital Libraries: Comparison of 10 Software." Library Collections, Acquisitions, and Technical Services, 36(3-4): 79-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lcats.2012.05.002
- Al-Rawashdeh, T. A. 2015. "Evaluating Open Source Software Usability Using a Multistage Fuzzy Model Approach." International Review on Computers and Software, 10(10): 1018-1026.
- Castagne, M. 2013. Institutional Repository Software Comparison: DSpace, EPrints, Digital Commons, Islandora and Hydra. Vancouver: University of British Columbia.
- Dedrick, J. and West, J. 2003. "Why Firms Adopt Open Source Platforms: A Grounded Theory of Innovation and Standards Adoption." In Proceedings of the Workshop on Standard Making: A Critical Research Frontier for Information Systems, 236-257.
- Dumas, J. and Redish, J. 1993. A Practical Guide to Usability Testing. Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing Co.
- Dzida, W et al. 1978. "User-perceived Quality of Interactive Systems." IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 4 (4): 270-276.
- Fernandez, A., Abrahao, S. and Insfran, E. 2011. "A Web Usability Evaluation Process for Model-Driven Web Development." CAiSE 2011: Advanced Information Systems Engineering, 108-122.
- Fitzgerald, B. 2006. "The Transformation of Open Source Software." MIS Quarterly, 30(3): 587-598. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148740
- Garoufallou, E. et al. 2013. "Usability Evaluation of the Digital Archive of the Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation(ERT)." Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries, 1: 17-26.
- Goh, D. Hoe-Lian et al. 2006. "A Checklist for Evaluating Open Source Digital Library Software." Online Information Review, 30(4): 360-379. https://doi.org/10.1108/14684520610686283
- Hu, X. 2018. "Usability Evaluation of E-Dunhuang Cultural Heritage Digital Library." Data and Information Management, 1-13.
- International Standards Organization (ISO). 1994. Ergonomic Requirements for Office Work with Visual Display Terminals. Part 11: Guidance on usability(ISO 9241-11). London: International Standards Organization.
- International Standards Organization (ISO). 2001. Software Engineering. Part 1: Quality Model(ISO/IEC 9126-1). Geneva, Switzerland: International Standards Organization.
- Jeng, J. 2005. "Usability Assessment of Academic Digital Libraries: Effectiveness, Efficiency, Satisfaction, and Learn Ability." Libri, 55: 96-121.
- Kim, H. H. and Kim, Y. H. 2008. "Usability Study of Digital Institutional Eepositories." The Electronic Library, 26(6): 863-881. https://doi.org/10.1108/02640470810921637
- Lagoze, C. and Sompel, H. V. 2001. "The Open Archives Initiative: Building a Low-barrier Interoperability Framework." In Proceedings of the 1st ACM/IEEE-CS joint conference on Digital libraries, 54-62.
- Landauer, T. K. 1995. The Trouble with Computers: Usefulness, Usability and Productivity. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Lundell, B., Lings, B. and Lindqvist, E. 2006. "Perception and Uptake of Open Source in Swedish Organizations." International Federation for Information Processing, 203: 155-163.
- Masrek, M. N. and Hakimjavadi, H. 2012. "Evaluation of Three Open Source Software in Terms of Managing Repositories of Electronic Theses and Dissertations: A Comparative Study." Journal of Basic and Applied Scientific Research, 2(11): 10843-10852.
- Miller, R. B. 1971. Human Ease of Use Criteria and their Tradeoffs. NY: IBM, Systems Development Division, Poughkeepsie Lab.
Morgan, E. L. 2002. "Possibilities for Open Source Software in Libraries." Information Technology and Libraries, 21(1): 12-15. [online] [cited 2017. 11. 25.]
- Nielsen, J. 1993. Usability Engineering. Cambridge, MA: Academic Press.
Nielsen, J. 2000. Why You only Need to Test with 5 Users. [online] [cited 2017. 11. 27.]
- Offutt, J. 2002. Quality "Attributes of Web Software Applications." IEEE Software: Special Issue on Software Engineering of Internet Software, 25-32.
- Perry, S. C. and Waggoner, J. 2018. "Processes for User Centered Design and Development: The Omeka Curator Dashboard Project." Developing In-House Digital Tools in Library Spaces, 37-58.
Poynder, R. 2001. "The Open Source Movement." Information Today, 18(9): 66-69. [online] [cited 2017. 11. 9.]
Pyrounakis, G. and Nikolaidou, M. 2009. Comparing Open Source Digital Library Software. [online] [cited 2017. 11. 29.]
- Pyrounakis, G., Nikolaidou, M. and Hatzopulos, M. 2014. "Building Digital Collections Using Open Source Digital Repository Software: A Comparative Study." International Journal of Digital Library Systems, 4(1): 10-24. https://doi.org/10.4018/ijdls.2014010102
- Raza, A., Capretz, L. F. and Ahmed, F. 2010. "Improvement of Open Source Software Usability: An Empirical Evaluation from Developers' Perspective." Advances in Software Engineering, 1-12.
- Rosenfeld, L. and Morville, P. 2011. Information Architecture: for the World Wide Web. 김수 역. 2011. 인포메이션 아키텍처: 효율적인 웹사이트 구축을 위한 정보설계 지침서. 서울: 인사이트.
Spiro, L. 2009. Archival Management Software: A Report for the Council on Library and Information Resources. Council on Library and Information Resources Washington, D.C. [online] [cited 2017. 11. 16.]