- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing Patient Privacy Protection Behavior among Nursing Students
간호대학생의 환자 프라이버시 보호행동 영향요인
- Lee, Eun Joo (Department of Nursing, Kyungnam University) ;
- Shin, Hyun Sook (Yein Women's Hospital) ;
- Ha, Eun Chae (Department of Nursing, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2018.03.16
- Accepted : 2018.08.07
- Published : 2018.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify factors influencing patient privacy protection behavior among nursing students and examine the relationships between these factors. Methods: Participants in this study were 144 nursing students who have experienced clinical practice. The data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, one-way ANOVA, Scheffe test, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regression with IBM SPSS Win 23.0 program. Results: Professional self-concept and ethical values were factors influencing patient privacy protection behavior among nursing students. These variables explained 21.9% of the variance for patient privacy protection behavior. A higher level of patient privacy protection behavior was associated with higher levels of professional self-concept and ethical values. Conclusion: The findings demonstrate that strategies for enhancing patient privacy protection behaviors of nursing students should include methods for forming images of positive nurses and firming ethical values.
- AdibHajBagher, M., Salsali, M., & Ahmadi, F. (2006). A model for empowering the nursing profession in Iran. Tehran: Boshra.
- Arthur, D. (1990). The development of an instrument for measuring the professional self-concept of nurses (Unpublished master's thesis). The University of Newcastle, Sydney.
- Jeun, Y. J. (2013). EMR system and patient medical information protection. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 7(3), 213-224. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.3.213
- Kim, K. H., Han, Y. H., & Kim, J. S. (2017). Nurses' and patients' perceptions of privacy protection behaviors and information provision. Nursing Ethics, 24(5), 598-611. https://doi.org/10.1177/0969733015622059
- Jung, K. I., & Jung, H. Y. (2011). A study on the student nurse's perception and performance protecting behavior for the patient medical information. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 5(4), 65-79. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.4.065
- Kim, C. H., Jeong, S. Y., & Song, Y. S. (2013). Recognition and performance of patient private information protection (PPIP) in nursing students. The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, 11(11), 479-490.
- Kim, M., Kim, O. S., Jo, M. S., & Hong, Y. S. (2008). Understanding of health science. Seoul: Ewha Womans University Press.
- Kim, M. O. (2012). A study on protecting patients' privacy of obstetric and gynecologic nurses. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 18(4), 268-278. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2012.18.4.268
- Kim, M. O. (2012). Perception, and performance of fertility center nurses' protecting behavior for the patient privacy. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 14(3), 1493-1505.
- Kim, M. S. (2011). Moderating effects of self-esteem and self-efficacy in the relationship between professional self-concept and satisfaction in their major among nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 17(2), 159-167. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2011.17.2.159
- Kim, N. H., & Kim, K. W. (2011). Self-efficacy, self-concept of professional nursing, and clinical practice satisfaction to clinical practice education in nursing students. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 5(4), 41-51. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.4.041
- Kim, S. E. (2015). Ethical values and human rights sensitivity in nursing students. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, 18(2), 117-128.
- Kim, W. K., & Chung, K. H. (2008). The relationship between professional self-concept, organizational commitment and job satisfaction in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 14(3), 287-296.
- Kim, Y. J., Kim, J. S., Kim, H. R., Park, S. B., So, S. B., Jung, B. S., et al. (2017). Opinions and perceptions on allowing nursing students' practice among inpatients at a university hospital. Perspectives in Nursing Science, 14(1), 10-20. https://doi.org/10.16952/pns.2017.14.1.10
- Lee, M. Y., & Park, Y. I. (2005). A study on the nurse's perception and performance of protecting patient privacy. Clinical Nursing Research, 11(1), 7-20.
- Lee, S. H., Kim, S. Y., & Kim, J. A. (2007). Ethical value of nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 13(2), 145-155.
- Ma, M. O. (2005). A Study on the work ethics and behaviors of vocational rehabilitation workers (Unpublished master's thesis). The Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Meingast, M., Roosta, T., & Sastry, S. (2006, August). Security and privacy issues with health care information technology. Symposium conducted at 28th annual international conference of Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. New York.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, & Ministry of the Interior. (2016). Privacy guidelines for medical institution. Sejong: Ministry of Health and Welfare & Ministry of the Interior. Retreived from www.kosmi.org/rang_board/inc/download.php?code=notice&num=238
- Noh, Y. G., & Jung, M. S. (2013). A study of moral judgment and ethical decision making and ethical dilemmas experienced in practice by nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(6), 2915-2925. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2915
- Ozair, F. F., Jamshed, N., Sharma, A., & Aggarwal, P. (2015). Ethical issues in electronic health records: A general overview. Perspectives in Clinical Research, 6(2), 73-76. https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-3485.153997
- Park, H. S. (2000). Evaluating the ethics of controversial advertising issues and moderating effects of ethical ideologies. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 11(3), 147-163.
- Randle, J., & Arthur, D. (2007). The professional self concept of nurses: a review of the literature from 1992-2006. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, 24(3), 60-64.
- Schlenker, B. R., & Forsyth, D. R. (1977). On the ethics of psychological research. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 13(4), 369-396. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(77)90006-3
- Seo, W. H. (2006). Nursing college students' nursing professional self-concept and their satisfaction with clinical nursing practicum (Unpublished master's thesis). The Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- Shin, J. H., Jeong, S. H., Lee, M. H., & Yang, Y. R. (2015). Experiences of ethical issues and needs for ethics education in clinical nurses. Journal of Korean Academy Nursing Administration, 21(3), 327-339. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.327
- Shin, K. A., & Cho, B. H. (2012). Professional self-concept, critical thinking disposition and clinical competence in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 19(1), 46-56. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.1.046
- Sohng, K. Y., & Noh, C. H. (1996). An analytical study of the professional self-concept of hospital nurses in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 26(1), 94-106.
- Sung, K. W., Kim, D. S., Han, M. Y., Gwak, E. Y., Kim, G. Y., Kim, E. J., et al. (2011). Relationships between patient privacy act, nursing ethics and self-esteem in nursing students. The Journal of Social Science, 10, 267-288.
- Yu, M., & Kim, M. O. (2012). Neonatal nurse's professional self-concept and behavior to protect patient privacy. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 18(4), 424-233. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.4.424