- Volume 24 Issue 3
Purpose: This study examines the effectiveness of an educational program of nursing biomedical ethics for nursing students to increase awareness of the Code of Ethics for Nurses, moral sensitivity, and application of the Code of Ethics for Nurses. Methods: A quasi-experimental research design and t-test were used. The experimental group (n=31) and control group (n=32) were second-year university nursing students in two major cities. The experimental group received 15 hours of nursing ethics education during the 15-week semester. The training was not provided to the control group. Results: The application of the Code of Ethics for Nurses increased significantly in the experimental group (t=-1.06, p=.017), nurses and patient (t=-2.23, p=.029), obligation of nurse as an expert (t=-2.08, p=.042), nurse and cooperator (t=-2.54, p=.014). The consciousness of biomedical ethics increased significantly in the experimental group (t=4.28, p=.021), newborn's right to live (t=-2.61, p=.011), euthanasia (t=-2.36, p=.021). Conclusion: The results of the study show that providing a nursing biomedical ethics program to nursing students is an effective method to enhance the application of the Code of Ethics for Nurses and Consciousness of Biomedical Ethics. Implementing an intervention program of the Code of Ethics for Nurses in the regular nursing curriculum may reduce conflicts involving ethical decision making by nurses.
- Choo, H. S. (2001). A study on clinical nurse' professionalism and the factors affecting it (Unpublished master's thesis). Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Faul, F., Erdfelder, E., Lang, A, G., & Buchner, A. (2007). G*POWER 3: A flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behavior Research Methods, 39, 175-191. https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03193146
- Han, S. S., Kim, Y. S., Park, S. H., & Meng, K. H. (2007). A study of the moral sensitivity of nurses and nursing students in Korea. Korean Journal of medical Ethics Education, 10(2), 117-124.
- Jeong, G. S. (2013). The effect of gender, ethical values and characteristics of biomedical ethics on the consciousness of biomedical ethics on nursing students in one nursing college. Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(1), 5672-5681. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.11.5672
- Jeong, G. S. (2016). The effect of biomedical ethics education program for nursing students freshman. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nurse Education, 22(3), 376-386. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.3.376
- Jeong, G. S. (2017). The influencing factor of consciousness of biomedical ethics, moral sensitivity and critical thinking disposition on the code of ethics for nurses ethics of nursing students. Journal of Korea Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, 18(11), 544-555.
- Jung, M. (2001). The ethical problems experienced by nursing students in hospital setting. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, 4(2), 195-212.
- Kang, B. H., Won, S. E., & Kang, H, H. (2016). Levels of concern and other factors influencing the awareness of biomedical ethics among nursing students. The Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, 19(3), 340-357.
- Kang, S. W., & Choi, E. J. (2015). Awareness towards code of ethics for korean nurses and nursing professionalism among nursing students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, 17(2), 1101-1114.
- Kim, E. H., & Lee, E. J. (2012). A comparison of first-year and senior nursing students' ethical values and understanding of biomedical ethics. The Korean Society for Medical Ethics, 15(1), 78-95.
- Kim, I. S. (2013). Effects of bioethics on the consciousness of bioethics of freshmen nursing and health students. Journal of Korean Bioethics Association, 14(1), 1-13.
- Kim, M. A. (2013). Two teaching methods to improve nursing student's moral intelligences, moral sensitivity and moral judgement: Theatre of situation and pro-con debate. Korean Journal of Medical Ethics, 16(3), 376-390.
- Kim, S. Y. (2014). Effects of biomedical ethics education using movies on biomedical ethics awareness of nursing students. Journal of Korea Contents Association, 14(7), 281-290.
- Kim, Y. S., Kang, S. W., & Ahn, J. A. (2012). Moral sensitivity relating to the application of the code of ethics. Nursing Ethics, 20(4), 470-478.
- Korean Nurses Association. (2014). Korea nurse ethics. Retrieved from http://www.koreanurse.or.kr/about_KNA/ethics.php?mn=2#s1 (accessed May 2018).
- Kwon, S. J. (2003). A study on the consciousness of biomedical ethics of the nursing students and medical students-Focused on Daegu city and Gyeongsanbuk-Do (Unpublished master's thesis). Keimyung University, Dague.
- Lee, W. H., & Bang, M. R. (1993). A study on the basic data for the reform of the Korean nursing ethics code. The Korean Nurse, 32(4), 6-15.
- Lee, Y. H. (2014). Code of ethics and ethics education as means to resolve ethical issues in adapted physical activity in Korea. Korean Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 22(2), 119-128. https://doi.org/10.17006/kjapa.2014.22.2.119
- Lutzen, K., & Nordin, C. (1994). Conceptualization and instrumentation of moral sensitivity in psychiatric nursing practice. International Journal of Methods Psychiatric Research, 4, 241-248.
- Tadd, W., Clarke, A., Lloyd, L., Leino-Kilpi, H., Strandell C., Lemonidou, et al. (2006). The value of nurses' codes: European nurses' views. Nursing Ethics, 13(4), 376-393. https://doi.org/10.1191/0969733006ne891oa
- Thompkins, P. S. (2009). Rhetorical listening and moral sensitivity. Journal of Listening, 3(2), 60-79.
- Yoo, M. S., & Shon, K. C. (2012) Effects of nursing ethics education on biomedical ethics awareness, moral sensitivity and moral judgment of nursing students. Journal of the Bioethics Association, 12(2), 61-76.