- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influence of Self-Efficacy and Intercultural Communicative Competence on the Cultural Competence of Allied Health College Students
보건의료계열 대학생의 자신감과 문화 간 의사소통능력이 문화적 역량에 미치는 영향
- Yang, Nam Young (Department of Nursing, Kongju National University) ;
- Song, Min Sun (College of Nursing, Konyang University)
- Received : 2018.07.09
- Accepted : 2018.08.05
- Published : 2018.08.31
Purpose: The study examined the effects of self-efficacy and intercultural communicative competence on the cultural competence of allied health college students. Methods: The participants were 176 allied health college students. Data collection was conducted from June 12 to 30, 2018. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple linear regression analysis with the SPSS program. Results: The mean self-efficacy score was 3.52;, the mean intercultural communicative competence score was 3.24;, and the mean cultural competence score was 3.26. Cultural competence differed significantly by grade(p=.008), major(p<.001), overseas study exchange(p=.020), foreign language skill(p=.011), domestic multicultural friends (p=.002) and contact with people(p=.026) of general characteristics. Statistically significant positive relationships were observed between self-efficacy(r=.23), intercultural communicative competence(r=.58), and cultural competence. A total of 35.9% of cultural competence was explained by intercultural communicative competence and grade. Conclusion: These results can be used to develop cultural education programs to improve cultural competence, with consideration for intercultural communicative competence and grade levels.
- Choi YH, Gu MJ, Choi MJ, Kim YM. Factors affecting multicultural acceptability of adolescents using multilevel analysis. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management. 2018;12(2):75-87. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2018.12.2.075 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2018.12.2.075
- Song EJ, Yang YK, Park SK. Effects on critical thinking disposition and empathy on cultural competency in nursing students. Journal Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, 2016;25(4):347-355. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.347 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.4.347
- Jo MK, Jang HY. Factors influencing cultural competence among nursing students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2015;17(5):2795-2808.
- Hong SK, Kang YS. The mediation effects of cultural competence on the relationship between socially prescribed perfectionism and career decision-making self-efficacy of university students. The Journal of Career Education Research, 2018;31(1):81-101. https://doi.org/10.32341/JCER.2018.03.31.1.81
- Campinha-Bacote J. Cultural competence in psychiatric nursing: Have you 'ASKED' the right questions?. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. 2002;8(6):183-187. https://doi.org/10.1067/mpn.2002.130216 https://doi.org/10.1067/mpn.2002.130216
- Campinha-Bacote J. Cultural competency in healthcare delivery: Have I asked myself the right question? Retrived November 26, 2006 from http://www.transculturalcare.net.
- Kim MK. A qualitative study on university students' multicultural competence-focusing on the cultural cognition, cultural knowledge and cultural skill-. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 2010;19(6):945-965. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2010.19.6.945
- Oh WO, Jung WS, Kang HG, Kim EH, Suk MH. Cultural knowledge, empathy and cultural sensitivity of university students majoring in health and welfare. Journal of Korean Society of School Health, 2010;23(2):192-199.
- Clark MJ. Community health nursing: A advocacy for population health. Practice(5th ed). 216-218, New Jersey: Pearson Education.
- Choi SY. A study on the antecedent factors affecting helping professions' cultural competence-focus on social workers, nurses, and social work civil servants-. Korean Journal of Social Welfare. 2012;64(2):5-29.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: the exercise of control, New York, NY: Freeman. 1997.
- Yang J, Park K, Kim M, Yang YO. Factors influencing the confidence on performance of core fundamental nursing skills among nursing students. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society. 2012;14(5B):2611-2622.
- Foronda CF. A concept analysis of cultural sensitivity. Journal of Transcutural Nursing, 2008;19(3):207-212. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659608317093 https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659608317093
- Koh CK, Koh SK. Married female migrants experience of health care services. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2009;15(1):89-99. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089 https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2009.15.1.089
- Ryan M, Twibell RS. Outcomes of a transcultural nursing immersion experience: Confirmation of a dimensional matrix. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 2002;13(1): 30-39. https://doi.org/10.1177/104365960201300106 https://doi.org/10.1177/104365960201300106
- Yang SY, Lim HN, Lee JH. The study on relationship between cultural competency and empathy of nursing students. Journal Korean Academy Society Nursing Education, 2013;19(2):183-193. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.183
- Min SH, Lee MY. A Exploratory study about the cultural competence of university students-focused on the cultural awareness. Journal of Adolescent Welfare, 2009;11(1):183-206.
- Han SY, Chung HI. Development of a cultural competence scale for nursing students. Journal of Academy Nursing. 2015;45(5):684-693. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.684 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.684
- Ko EJ. Improvement of underachiever's confidenence and self-esteem using music therapy program. [master's thesis]. Chungbuk: Korea National University of Education; 2004.
- Lee DW. A comparative study of intercultural communicative competence of korean students as sojourners and american students as hosts in american universities. Journal of Communication. 2011;19(4):65-84.
- Lee EM. Variables affecting the intercultural communication skills of nursing students. [master's thesis]. Daegu: Daegu Catholic University; 2013.
- Park DY, Jung KH. The influence of self esteem, interpersonal relations and intercultural communicative competence on cultural competence of nursing students. International Journal of Contents. 2014;14(11):337-346. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.11.337
- Suh EE. The model of cultural competence through an evolutionary concept analysis. Journal of Trasnscultural Nursing. 2004;15(2):93-102. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659603262488 https://doi.org/10.1177/1043659603262488
- Leininger M. Culture care theory: A major contribution to advance transcultural nursing knowledge and practice. Journal of Trasnscultural Nursing. 2002;13(3):183-192. https://doi.org/10.1177/10459602013003005
- Koskinen L, Campbell B, Aarts C, Chasse F, Hemingway A, Juhansoo T, et al. Enhancing cultural competence: Trans-atlantic experiences of european and canadian nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Practice. 2009;15:502-509. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2009.01776.x
- Lee EM, Kim SH. Influence of multicultural awareness and cultural sensitivity on intercultural communication skills of the korean nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia -Industrial cooperation Society. 2017;18(4):459-468. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.459 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.4.459
- American Nurses Association. Public health nursing: scope and standards of practice. Silver Spring.