- Volume 48 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Hand Massage in Patients Who Underwent Transradial Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
요골동맥을 통한 경피적 관상동맥 중재술 환자의 손마사지 효과
- Shin, Eun Sil (Coronary Care Unit, Dong-A University Hospital) ;
- Kim, Myung-Hee (College of Nursing, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2017.11.01
- Accepted : 2018.08.06
- Published : 2018.08.31
Purpose: This study aimed to determine the effect of hand massage in patients who underwent transradial percutaneous coronary intervention. Methods: This was a quasi-experimental study with a nonequivalent control group and non-synchronized design. The study included 30 patients in the experimental group and 30 in the control group. Hand massage was performed 2 times for 5 minutes each in the experimental group and the control group only received usual nursing interventions. Pain, level of discomfort, and vital signs were defined as key outcome measures, and the data were analyzed using the chi-square test, an independent t-test, Mann-Whitney U test, repeated-measures analysis of variance, and Friedman test. Results: Significant differences were observed between the 2 groups in the pain score (F=7.91, p=.003), discomfort score (F=18.15, p<.001), pulse (F=12.92, p<.001), and respiration rate (
- Statistics Korea. 2014 cause of death statistics [Internet]. Seoul: Statistics Korea; c2015 [cited 2015 Sep 23]. Avilable from: http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/6/2/index. board?bmode=read&aSeq=348539.
- Kasper DL, Braunwald E, Fauci AS, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL. Harrison's principles of internal medicine. 16th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2005. p. 1277-1278, 1410-1413.
- Amoroso G, Laarman GJ, Kiemeneij F. Overview of the transradial approach in percutaneous coronary intervention. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine Medicine. 2007;8(4):230-237. https://doi.org/10.2459/01.JCM.0000263494.10865.0f https://doi.org/10.2459/01.JCM.0000263494.10865.0f
- Agostoni P, Biondi-Zoccai GG, de Benedictis ML, Rigattieri S, Turri M, Anselmi M, et al. Radial versus femoral approach for percutaneous coronary diagnostic and interventional procedures: Systematic overview and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2004; 44(2):349-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2004.04.034 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2004.04.034
- Chun KJ, Kim JH, Hong TJ, Chun TJ, Shin YW. The safety and feasibility of transradial coronary angiography over 70-year-old patients. Korean Circulation Journal. 2004;34(4):376-380. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2004.34.4.376 https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2004.34.4.376
- Kim JY, Yoon J, Jung HS, Kim WJ, Ahn MS, Lee KH, et al. The experience of transradial coronary intervention for chronic total occlusion. Korean Circulation Journal. 2003;33(9):805-812. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2003.33.9.805 https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2003.33.9.805
- Won KH. Evaluation of magnesium sulphate for the clinical effects and to prevent radial artery spasm during transradial coronary angiography [master's thesis]. Seoul: Korea University; 2010. p. 1-22.
- Kim MS, Oh JS, Cho HY. Comparison of pain, sense, bleeding and hematoma depending on the process of air elimination of pressure band after percutaneous coronary intervention through radial artery. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2012;18(2):275-283. https://doi.org/10.22650/JKCNR.2012.18.2.275
- Lee SY. A study of discomfort & pain of the patient following coronary angiography through femoral artery or radial artery [master's thesis]. Seoul: Kyung Hee University; 2014. p. 1-47.
- Han KR, Park WJ, Oh DJ, Park DG, Jung WC, Jung KJ, et al. Feasibility and problems in transradial coronary angiography and intervention. Korean Circulation Journal. 2000;30(9):1083-1091. https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2000.30.9.1083 https://doi.org/10.4070/kcj.2000.30.9.1083
- Jeon SZ, Kim KM, Kim HK, Park SO, Bae YS, Cho KS, et al. Adult nursing. Seoul: Hyunmunsa; 2011. p. 114-121.
- Song YS. The effect of hand massage on pain and anxiety related to chest tube removal in patients with a lobectomy. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2002; 9(1):27-44.
- Soo HY. Rehabilitation nursing. Seoul: Hyunmunsa; 1999. p. 176-177.
- Hyun KS, Lee HY, Kong SC, Yoon KJ, Kim HS, Kim HN, et al. The effect of hand massage program on anxiety in patients with ischemic heart diease. The Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing. 2001;13(2):340-349.
- Chang SY. Effects of aroma hand massage on pain, state anxiety and depression in hospice patients with terminal cancer. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008;38(4):493-502. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.4.493 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.4.493
- Kim YJ, Chung SH, Suh IS. The effect of hand massage on discomfort in patients following percutaneous coronary intervention. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2008;20(3): 452-460.
- Park MS, Suh MJ. The effect of the hand massage on anxiety of the cancer patients receiving radiation treatment. The Journal of Nurses Academic Society. 1995;25(2):316-329. https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19188.8.131.526 https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.19184.108.40.2066
- Oh HJ, Park JS. Effects of hand massage and hand holding on the anxiety in patients with local infiltration anesthesia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2004;34(6):924-933. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.6.924 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.6.924
- Pack JS, Kim ES, Pack JJ. The effects of the slow stroke back massage on discomfort in patients following percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2004;9(2):56-67.
- Yun SY, Cho BH. The effects of heat therapy on low back pain, blood pressure and pulse rate after percutaneous coronary intervention. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2011;18(3):348-355.
- Snyder M, Egan EC, Burns KR. Efficacy of hand massage in decreasing agitation behaviors associated with care activities in persons with dementia. Geriatric Nursing. 1995;16(2):60-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4572(05)80005-9
- Cho KS. The effect of a hand massage program on anxiety and immune function in clients with cataract surgery under local anesthesia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 1999;29(1): 97-106. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19220.127.116.11 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.1918.104.22.168
- Han KS, Park SH, Kim SM, Park JS. The effect of massage as a nursing intervention on central pain & skin temperature of stroke patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2001;7(2):55-66.
- Song JM, Park HJ. Effects of 10% lidocaine spray and aroma hand massage on pain, anxiety, blood pressure, and pulse during arteriovenous fistula needling in hemodialysis patients. The Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing. 2016;19(1): 1-11. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2016.1 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2016.1
- Boitor M, Martorella G, Arbour C, Michaud C, Gelinas C. Evaluation of the preliminary effectiveness of hand massage therapy on postoperative pain of adults in the intensive care unit after cardiac surgery: A pilot randomized controlled trial. Pain Management Nursing. 2015;16(3):354-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2014.08.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2014.08.014
- Kim SH. The effects of hand massage on the anxiety, sleeping satisfaction and pain of hysterectomy patients [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2003. p. 1-55.
- Kim JM. The effect of hand massage on the anxicty of thc hysterectomy patients in immediately prior to surgery. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2000;30(2):476-487. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.2.476