- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Quality of life in the Elderly with Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
근골격계 만성통증 노인의 삶의 질 영향요인
- Jeong, Hyesun (Pusan National University Hospital, Busan Center for Infectious Disease Control and Prevention) ;
- Lee, Yoonju (College of Nursing, Pusan National University)
- Received : 2018.03.09
- Accepted : 2018.06.23
- Published : 2018.08.31
Purpose: This study aimed to identify factors affecting the quality of life of the elderly people with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Methods: The data were collected from 307 older adults aged 65 years or older with chronic musculoskeletal pain, who visited senior welfare centers in two cities. We used self-rated questionnaires including NRS for pain, WHOQOL-BREF for quality of life, Pain Response Inventory for coping responses to pain, and MSPSS for social support. Stepwise multiple regression analysis were performed using SPSS/WIN 23.0 to identify factors affecting the study subjects' quality of life. Results: The regression model explained 43% of quality of life, which was statistically significant (F=34.11, p<.001). Educational level of high school (
- Bae, S. C., Lee, H. S., Yun, H. R., Kim, T. H., Yoo, D. H., & Kim, S. Y. (2001). Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of Korean Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) and Lequesne osteoarthritis indices for clinical research. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 9(8), 746-750. https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.2001.0471 https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.2001.0471
- Bellamy, N., Buchnan, W. W., Goldsmith, C. H., Campbell, J., & Stitt, L. W. (1988). Validation study of WOMAC: A health status instrument for measuring clinically important patient relevant outcomes to antirheumatic drug therapy in patients with osteoarthritis of the hip or knee. Journal of Rheumatology, 15(12), 1833-1840.
- Blyth, F. M., & Noguchi, N. (2017). Chronic musculoskeletal pain and its impact on older people. Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology, 31(2), 160-168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2017.10.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.berh.2017.10.004
- Brown, G. K., & Nicassio, P. M. (1987). Development of a questionnaire for the assessment of active and passive coping strategies in chronic pain patients. Pain, 31(1), 53-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(87)90006-6
- Choi, W. M., Yoon, H. H, & Lee, J. H. (2016). Mediation effects of self-efficacy on the relationship between perceived health status and self-esteem in the elderly from a health sports program. Korean Journal of Physical Education, 55(5), 165-175.
- Ferrans, C. E., Zerwic, J. J., Wilbur, J. E., & Larson, J. L. (2005). Conceptual model of health-related quality of life. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 37(4), 336-342. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2005.00058.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2005.00058.x
- Gong, G., & Mao, J. (2016). Health-related quality of life among Chinese patients with rheumatoid arthritis: The predictive roles of fatigue, functional disability, self-efficacy, and social support. Nursing Research, 65(1), 55-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0000000000000137 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNR.0000000000000137
- Im, M. Y. (1998). Determinants of health promoting behavior of college students in Korea. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Jakobsson, U., & Hallberg, I. R. (2002). Pain and quality of life among older people with rheumatoid arthritis and/or osteoarthritis: A literature review. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 11-(4), 430-443. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2002.00624.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2002.00624.x
- Jia, H., Zack, M. M., Gottesman, I. I., & Thompson, W. W. (2018). Associations of smoking, physical inactivity, heavy drinking, and obesity with quality-adjusted life expectancy among US adults with depression. Value in Health, 21(3), 364-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2017.08.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2017.08.002
- Jungchoi, K. H., Park, J. Y., Kim, N. S., & Park, H. Y. (2015). Status of chronic pain prevalence in the Korean adults. Public Health Weekly Report, 8(31), 728-734.
- Karttunen, N. M., Turunen, J., Ahonen, R., & Hartikainen, S. (2014). More attention to pain management in community-dwelling older persons with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Age and Ageing, 43(6), 845-850. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afu052 https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/afu052
- Kim, M. J., & Bae, S. H. (2014). Factors influencing health-related quality of life in older adults with osteoarthritis: Based on the 2010-2011 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 21(3), 195-205. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2014.21.3.195 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2014.21.3.195
- Lawton, M. P., Moss, M., Fulcomer, M., & Kleban, M. H. (1982). A research and service oriented multilevel assessment instrument. Journal of Gerontology, 37(1), 91-99. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/37.1.91
- Lee, S. S. (2012). Influencing factors on quality of life in elderly hemodialysis patient. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Busan.
- Ma, L., Li, Y., Wang, J., Zhu, H., Yang, W., Cao, R., et al. (2015). Quality of life is related to social support in elderly osteoporosis patients in a Chinese population. PLoS ONE, 10(6), 127849-127859. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0127849
- Min, S. K., Kim, K. I., Suh, S. Y., & Kim, D. (2000). Development of Korean version of World Health Organization Quality of Life Scale (WHOQOL). Journal of Neuropsychiatry Association, 39(1), 78-88.
- Nam, J., & Sung, K. (2017). Effects of peer mentoring program on the health conservation in elderly women with osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, 28(3), 227-239. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.3.227 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.3.227
- Oh, J. H., & Yi, M. S. (2014). Structural equation modeling on quality of life in older adults with osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 44(1), 75-85. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.1.75 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.1.75
- Riddle, D. L., Jensen, M. P., Ang, D., Slover, J., Perera, R., & Dumenci, L. (2018). Do pain coping and pain beliefs associate with outcome measures before knee arthroplasty in patients who catastrophize about pain? A cross-sectional analysis from a randomized clinical trial. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 476(4), 778-786. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999.0000000000000001 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999.0000000000000001
- Schrubbe, L. A., Ravyts, S. G., Benas, B. C., Campbell, L. C., Cene, C. W., Coffman, C. J., et al. (2016). Pain coping skills training for African Americans with osteoarthritis (STAART): Study protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorder, 17(1), 359-371. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-016-1217-2 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-016-1217-2
- Shin, J. S., & Lee, Y. B. (1999). The effects of social supports on psychosocial well-being of the unemployed. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 37, 241-269.
- Sousa, K. H., & Kwok, O. M. (2006). Putting Wilson and Cleary to the test: Analysis of a HRQOL conceptual model using structural equation modeling. Quality of Life Research, 15(4), 725-737. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-005-3975-4
- Swift, C. M., Reed, K., & Hocking, C. (2014). A new perspective on family involvement in chronic pain management programmes. Musculoskeletal Care, 12(1), 47-55. https://doi.org/10.1002/msc.1059 https://doi.org/10.1002/msc.1059
- Veehof, M. M., Oskam, M. J., Schreurs, K. M., & Bohlmeijer, E. T. (2011). Acceptance-based interventions for the treatment of chronic pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pain, 152(3), 533-542. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.11.002 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.11.002
- Walker, L. S., Baber, K. F., Garber, J., & Smith, C. A. (2008). A typology of pain coping in pediatric patients with chronic abdominal pain. Pain, 137(2), 266-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2007.08.038 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2007.08.038
- Walker, L. S., Smith, C. A., Garber, J., & Van Slyke, D. A. (1997). Development and validation of the pain response inventory for children. Psychological Assessment, 9(4), 392-405. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35220.127.116.112
- WHOQOL Group. (1998). Development of the World Health Organization WHOQOL-BREF quality of life assessment. Psychological Medicine, 28, 551-558. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291798006667
- Yu, H. H. (2001). The effect of locus of control, pain coping strategy and depression on pain assessment. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University, Bucheon.
- Zimet, G. D., Dahlem, N. W., Zimet, S. G., & Farley, G. K. (1988). The multidimensional scale of perceived social support. Journal of Personality Assessment, 52(1), 30-41. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327752jpa5201_2