- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Aquatic Exercise Program on Risk Factors of Metabolic Syndrome and Stress in Women
수중운동 프로그램이 성인여성의 대사증후군 위험요소와 스트레스에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Ji Young (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Jong Im (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2018.01.26
- Accepted : 2018.07.04
- Published : 2018.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to investigate the effects of an 8-week aquatic exercise program on risk factors of metabolic syndrome and stress in women. Methods: This study employed a non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest design. A total of 35 patients were recruited through a community health center. The data were analyzed with the SPSS 22.0 version program, and the outcome variables were risk factors of metabolic syndrome including abdominal circumference, triglyceride, high density lipoprotein cholesterol, blood pressure, fasting blood glucose, and the level of stress. Results: There was no statistically significant differences in abdominal circumference, triglyceride, high density lipoprotein cholesterol, and blood pressure difference (post-pre) between the experimental and control group. However, there was a significant difference in the stress level. Conclusion: This study result support the beneficial effect of stress management in women on risk reduction for metabolic syndrome. Health professionals consider to develop strategy of the aquatic exercise program to reduce factors of metabolic syndrome.
Supported by : 한국연구재단(NRF)
- Ann, O. H., Choi, S. H., Kim, S. H., Ryu, S. O., & Choi, Y. M. (2016). A Study on risk factors of metabolic syndrome and health behaviors in a region - 2014 community health survey -. Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial cooperation Society, 17(12), 218-225. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.218 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.218
- Bae, N. E. (2009). The effect of aquatic exercise on stress hormone of middle aged women. Korean Journal of Sports Science, 18(1), 959-968.
- Cheon, H. K., Lee, T. Y., & Kwon, I. S. (2012). The incidence of metabolic syndrome and its risk factor in who under went medical check-up in a health promotion center. Journal of the Korea Academia Industrial cooperation Society, 13(3), 1186-1193. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1186 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.3.1186
- Cheong, W., Yim, J., Oh, D. K., Im, J. S., Ko, K. P., & Kim, Y. M. (2013). Effects of chronic disease management based on clinics for blood pressure or glycemic control in patients with hypertension or type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of Agricultural Medicine and Community Health, 38(2), 108-115. https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2013.38.2.108 https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2013.38.2.108
- Im, M. Y., Lee, Y. R., Han, S. J., & Cho, C. M. (2012). The effects of lifestyle factors on metabolic syndrome among Korean adults. Journal of Korean Community Nursing, 23(1), 13-21. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.1.13 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.1.13
- Jang, J. H., & Hur, S. (2007). Effects of step exercise on metabolic syndrome markers, insulin resistance and plasma metabolism-related hormones in obese middle-aged women. Korean Journal of Physical Education, 46(2), 337-346.
- Jang, S. J. (2000). Stress. The Korean Society for Preventive Medicine, Standardization of health statistics collection and measurement (pp. 92-143). Seoul: Gyechuk Munwhasa.
- Jeon, J. H., & Kim, S. H. (2012). Depression, stress and how they are related with health behaviors and metabolic syndrome among women over 40 Years. Journal of the Korean Society of Maternal and Child Health, 16(2), 263-273. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2012.16.2.263 https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2012.16.2.263
- Jeong, Y. H. (2013). Development and application of an aquatic exercise program for falls prevention of the patients with osteoarthritis in the urban-rural complex farming areas. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- Jeong, Y. H., & Kim, J. I. (2010). Effects of a 9-week self-help management - aquatic exercise program on pain, flexibility, balance, fatigue and self efficacy in the patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 17(1), 47-57. https://doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2010.17.1.047 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.1.047
- Kim, H. S., Yoon, S. J., Lee, K. S., Kim, H. S., Oh, S. W., Ryu, H. S., et al. (2011). Effects of a self-management program for metabolic syndrome - A metabolic syndrome management program in Seoul -. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 28(2), 51-62.
- Kim, J. H., & Chang, S. A. (2009). Effect of diabetes education program on glycemic control and self management for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Korean Diabetes Journal, 33(6), 518-525. https://doi.org/10.4093/kdj.2009.33.6.518 https://doi.org/10.4093/kdj.2009.33.6.518
- Kim, J. I. (1994). Effect of aquatic exercise program with self-help group activities and strategies for promoting self-efficacy on pain, physiological parameters and quality of life in patients having rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 1(1), 1-30.
- Kim, J. I., Cho, K. S., Sim, H. S., Lee, E. N., Lee, I. O., Eun, Y., et al. (2011). Analysis of studies on the effect of aquatic exercise program. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 18(2), 257-269. https://doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2011.18.2.257 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.257
- Kim, J. I., & Kim, T. S. (2002). The Effect of aquatic exercise program on body weight, muscle strength and flexibility in healthy middle-aged women. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 9(2), 257-267.
- Kim, K. H., & Kim, K. T. (2015). Impact of 12-week aquatic and land exercises on the atherogenic index and HOMA-1R among elderly women with metabolic syndrome index. Korean Journal of Sports Science, 24(4), 1303-1314.
- Kong, K. R., Lee, E. N., & Hwang, H. J. (2016). A pilot study examining the effects of 12-week Tai chi exercise on the activity of autonomic nervous system and risk factors of metabolic syndrome in patients with metabolic syndrome. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 23(1), 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2016.23.1.1 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2016.23.1.1
- Korean Society for the Study of Obesity. (2014, June 12). Clinical guideline of obesity 2012. Retrieved January 25, 2018, from http://general.kosso.or.kr/html/?pmode=BBBS0001300003&smode=view&seq=72
- Lee, G. A., Choi, H. Y., & Yang, S. J. (2015). Effects of dietary and physical activity interventions on metabolic syndrome: A meta-analysis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 45(4), 483-494. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.4.483 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.4.483
- Lee, J. A., Lee, J. S., & Park, J. H. (2012). Metabolic syndrome perception and exercise behaviors in the elderly. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 29(5), 61-75.
- Lee, S. W., Cho, H. H., Kim, M, R., Kwon, D. J., Kim, E. J., You, Y. O., et al. (2010). The relationship between serum leptin level and metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 53(3), 254-263. https://doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.3.254 https://doi.org/10.5468/kjog.2010.53.3.254
- Lim, H. N. (2011). The effect of water exercise on stress and psychological well-being in the elderly women. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Woman, 25(3), 11-22.
- National Health Insurance Service. (2017, November 22). Distribution status of risk factors for metabolic syndrome. Retrieved March 6, 2018, from http//www.nhis.or.kr/bbs7/boards/B0039/24877
- Oh, B. S. (2014). Relationships of aquatic exercise with abdominal obesity and indicators of metabolic syndrome in Korean postmenopausal women. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 56, 1041-1052.
- Oh, B. S., & Kim, T. S. (2015). Relationships between metabolic syndrome risk factors, visual analogue scale and aquatic exercise in elderly women. Journal of Sport and Leisure Studies, 60, 707-718.
- Park, J. Y., & Kim, H. K. (2014). Short-term effects of a lifestyle intervention program on eating behaviors, physical activity and cardiovascular risks in Korean adults. Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 31(4), 37-49. https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.4.37 https://doi.org/10.14367/kjhep.2014.31.4.37
- Shim, H. S., Kim, H. S., & Kim, J. H. (2010). Analysis of metabolic syndrome risk factors among the menopausal women in her fifties. Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science, 12(1), 58-62.
- Won, H. J., & Kim, J. I. (2015). The relationships among network centrality, psychological well-being, and intention to exercise maintenance in participants of an aquatic exercise program. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, 22(1), 13-19. https://doi.org/10.5953/jmjh.2015.22.1.13 https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2015.22.1.13