- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Strength and durability characteristics of bricks made using coal bottom and coal fly ash
- Ashish, Deepankar Kumar (Department of Civil Engineering, Punjab Engineering College) ;
- Verma, Surender Kumar (Department of Civil Engineering, Punjab Engineering College) ;
- Singh, Joginder (Department of Civil Engineering, Punjab Engineering College) ;
- Sharma, Namesh (Department of Civil Engineering, Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Technology, Maharaja Agrasen University)
- Received : 2018.01.08
- Accepted : 2018.07.16
- Published : 2018.08.25
The study evaluates properties of brick having coal ash and explores the possibility of utilization of coal bottom ash and coal fly ash as an alternative raw material in the production of coal ash bricks. Lower cement content was used in the investigations to attain appropriate strength and prohibit high carbon content that is cause of environmental pollution. The samples use up to 7% of cement whereas sand was replaced with bottom ash. Bricks were tested for compressive strength, modulus of rupture, ultrasonic pulse velocity (UPV), water absorption and durability. The results showed mix proportions of bottom ash, fly ash and cement as 1:1:0.15 i.e., M-15 achieved optimum values. The coal ash bricks were well bonded with mortar and could be feasible alternative to conventional bricks thus can contribute towards sustainable development.
coal fly ash;coal bottom ash;brick;sand;cement;compressive strength;masonry prism
- Abbas, S., Saleem, M.A., Kazmi, S.M.S. and Munir, M.J. (2017), "Production of sustainable clay bricks using waste fly ash: Mechanical and durability properties", J. Build. Eng., 14, 7-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.09.008
- ACI 229R (1999), Controlled Low-strength Materials, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, USA.
- Ashish, D.K. (2018), "Feasibility of waste marble powder in concrete as partial substitution of cement and sand amalgam for sustainable growth", J. Build. Eng., 15, 236-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobe.2017.11.024
- Ashish, D.K. and Saini, P. (2018), "Successive recycled coarse aggregate effect on mechanical behavior and microstructural characteristics of concrete", Comput. Concrete, 21(1), 39-46. https://doi.org/10.12989/CAC.2018.21.1.039
- ASTM C 67 (2003), Standard Test Methods for Sampling and Testing Brick and Structural Clay Tile, American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, PA.
- ASTM D 6103 (2000), Standard Test Method for Flow Consistency of Controlled Low Strength Material (CLSM), American Society for Testing and Materials, PA, USA.
- Baum, E. (2010), Black Carbon from Brick Kilns, The Clean Air Task Force.
- Bisht, G. and Neupane, S. (2015), "Impact of brick Kilns' emission on soil quality of agriculture fields in the vicinity of selected Bhaktapur Area of Nepal", Appl. Environ. Soil Sci., Article ID 40940, 1-8.
- BS 1881: Part 203 (1986), Recommendations for Measurement of Pulse Velocity through Concrete, British Standards Institute, UK
- Dar, A.R., Verma, S.K., Ashish, D.K. and Dar, M.A. (2015), "Investigation on the properties of non conventional bricks", J. Struct. Eng., 3(4), 26-35.
- Eliche-Quesada, D., Felipe-Sese, M.A., Moreno-Molina, A.J., Franco, F. and Infantes-Molina, A. (2017), "Investigation of using bottom or fly pine-olive pruning ash to produce environmental friendly ceramic materials", Appl. Clay Sci., 135, 333-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2016.10.015
- Imran, M.A., Baten, M.A., Nahar, B.S. and Morshed, N. (2014), "Carbon dioxide emission from brickfields around Bangladesh", Int. J. Agric. Res. Innov. Tech., 4, 70-75.
- IS: 1905 (1987), Code of Practice for Structural use of Unreinforced Masonry, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Singh, M. and Siddique, R. (2015), "Effect of low-calcium coal bottom ash as fine aggregate on microstructure and properties of concrete", ACI Mater. J., 122(5), 693-703.
- Skinder, B.M., Pandit, A.K., Sheikh, A.Q. and Ganai, B.A. (2014), "Brick kilns: Cause of atmospheric pollution", J. Pollut. Effects Control, 2, 1-7.
- Velasco, P., Ortiz, M., Giro, M. and Velasco, L. (2014), "Fired clay bricks manufactured by adding wastes as sustainable construction material - a review", Constr. Build. Mater., 63, 97-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.03.045
- Verma, S.K., Ashish, D.K. and Singh, J.S. (2016), "Performance of bricks and brick masonry prism made using coal fly ash and coal bottom ash", Adv. Concrete Constr., 4(4), 231-242. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc.2016.4.4.231
- Zhang, L. (2013), "Production of bricks from waste materials - A review", Constr. Build. Mater., 47, 643- 655. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.05.043
- IS: 2386-3 (1963), Methods of Test for Aggregates for Concrete, Part 3: Specific Gravity, Density, Voids, Absorption and Bulking, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 383 (1970), Specification for Coarse and Fine Aggregates from Natural Sources for Concrete, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- IS: 8112 (1989), Specification for 43 Grade Ordinary Portland Cement, Bureau of Indian Standards, New Delhi, India.
- Kim, H.K. (2015), "Utilization of sieved and ground coal bottom ash powders as a coarse binder in highstrength mortar to improve workability", Constr. Build. Mater., 91, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.05.017
- Klarens, K., Indranata, M., Al Jamali, L. and Hardjito, D. (2017), "The use of bottom ash for replacing fine aggregate in concrete paving blocks", MATEC Web Conf., 138(01005), 1-7.
- Kumar, R., Patyal, V., Lallotra, B. and Ashish, D.K. (2014), "Study of properties of light weight fly ash brick", Int. J. Eng. Res. Appl., National Conference on Advances in Engineering and Technology, Haryana, India.
- Kunchariyakun, K., Asavapisit, S. and Sombatsompop, K. (2015), "Properties of autoclaved aerated concrete incorporating rice husk ash as partial replacement for fine aggregate", Cement Concrete Compos., 55, 11-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconcomp.2014.07.021
- Kurama, H. and Kaya, M. (2008), "Usage of coal combustion bottom ash in concrete mixture", Constr. Build. Mater., 22, 1922-1928. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2007.07.008
- Li, X.G., Liu, Z.L., Lv, Y., Cai, L.X., Jiang, D.B., Jiang, W.G. and Jian. S. (2018), "Utilization of municipal solid waste incineration bottom ash in autoclaved aerated concrete", Constr. Build. Mater., 178, 175-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.05.147
- Manz, O.E. (1997), "Worldwide production of coal ash and utilization in concrete and other products", Fuel, 76, 691-696. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0016-2361(96)00215-3
- Marto, A. and Tan, C.S. (2016), "Properties of coal bottom ash from power plants in Malaysia and its suitability as geotechnical engineering material", J. Teknologi., 78(8-5) 1-10.
- Naganathan, S. and Razak. H.A. (2010), "Effects of Kaolin on the performance of controlled law-strength material using industrial waste incineration bottom ash", Waste Manag. Res., 28, 848-860. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734242X09355073
- Naganathan, S., Mohamed, A.Y.O. and Mustapha, K.N. (2015), "Performance of bricks made using fly ash and bottom ash", Constr. Build. Mater., 96, 576-580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.08.068
- Naganathan, S., Subramaniam, N. and Mustapha, K.N. (2012), "Development of bricks from thermal power plant bottom ash and fly ash", Asian J. Civil Eng., 1, 275-287.
- Netinger, I., Vracevic, M., Ranogajec, J. and Vucetic, S. (2014), "Evaluation of brick resistance to freeze / thaw cycles according to indirect procedures", Gradevinar, 66, 197-209.
- Opiso, E.M., Sato, T. and Otake, T. (2017), "Microstructural properties of hardened cement paste blended with coal fly ash, sugar mill lime sludge and rice hull ash", Adv. Concrete Constr., 5(3), 289-301. https://doi.org/10.12989/ACC.2017.5.3.289
- Reddy, B.V.V. (2009), "Sustainable materials for low carbon buildings", Int. J. Low-Carbon Technol., 4, 175-181. https://doi.org/10.1093/ijlct/ctp025