- Volume 13 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Novel-Type Velocity-controllable Electromagnetic Coil Launcher based on Voltage Control
- Huang, Wenkai (School of Mechanical & Electric Engineering, Guangzhou University) ;
- Huan, Shi (School of Civil Engineering, Guangzhou University) ;
- Xiao, Ying (School of Mechanical & Electric Engineering, Guangzhou University)
- Received : 2017.08.18
- Accepted : 2018.04.24
- Published : 2018.09.01
This paper will present the design of a novel-type velocity-controllable electromagnetic coil launcher (EMCL). By studying the influence of initial capacitor voltage on the velocity of an EMCL, the launcher voltage can be set to precisely adjust the velocity of projectile launching. The simulation of voltage and velocity in relation to time is obtained by Maxwell software. The experimental data show that for the launch accuracy to be achievable, the actual precision is 2%. Because of the excellent performance of Velocity-controllable EMCL, it can replace the air gun and applied to split Hopkinson pressure bar (SHPB).
Electromagnetic coil launcher;Velocity-controllable;Voltage control
Supported by : Guangzhou municipal colleges and Universities
- R. Haghmaram and A. Shoulaie, "Literature review of theory and technology of air-core tubular linear induction motors [electromagnetic launcher applications]," in 39th International Universities Power Engineering Conference, 2004, pp. 517-522.
- K. Y. Zhao et al., "Finite element analysis of magnetic field and eddy field in synchronous induction coilgun," High Voltage Engineering, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 492-495, 2008.
- M. S. Aubuchon et al., "Results from Sandia National Laboratories/Lockheed Martin electromagnetic missile launcher (EMML)," in IEEE Pulsed Power Conference, 2005, pp. 75-78.
- M. S. Aubuchon et al., "Study of coilgun performance and comments on armatures," in Power Modulator Symposium, and High-Voltage Workshop, Conference Record of the Twenty-Sixth International, 2004, pp. 141-144.
- Y. D. Zhang et al., "Mechanical property and manufacture technology of electromagnetic driving coil," High Voltage Engineering, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 1186-1193, 2014.
- X. Li, Q. L. Wang, and J. J. Liu, "Optimization and analysis of linear induction launcher," Advanced Technology of Electrical Engineering and Energy, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 43-47, 2010.
- H. D. Fair, "Guest editorial: The past, present, and future of electromagnetic launch technology and the IEEE International EML Symposia," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 11-16, 2013.
- M. Wang et al., "Trigger control research of electromagnetic coil launcher based on real-time velocity measurement," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 885-888, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2016.2535409
- F. C. Li, B. Lei, and Z.Y. Li, "Dynamic simulation and experiment research on the single-stage induction coil-launcher," Micromotors, vol. 43, no. 11, pp. 37-41, 2010.
- W. G. Guo et al., "Electromagnetic Driving Technique Applied to Split-Hopkinson Pressure Bar Device," Journal of Experimental Mechanics, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 682-689, 2010.
- Z. W. Liu et al., "On the Mini-SHPB Device Based on Multi-level electromagnetic Emissions," Journal of Experimental Mechanics, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 557-562, 2013.
- Z. W. Liu et al., "The Optimization of Multi-stage Electromagnetic launching System of MiniSHB," Journal of Experimental Mechanics, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 9-16, 2015.
- W.G. Guo, Concise course of stress wave. Shanxi: Northwestern Polytechnical University Press, 2007.
- G.Y. Qiu circuit, fifth edition. Beijing: Higher Education Press, pp. 156-158, 2006.
- Baharlou, S et al. "A Non-Isolated High Step-up DC/DC Converter with Low EMI and Voltage Stress for Renewable Energy Applications," Journal of Electrical Engineering &Technology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1187-1194,2017.
- Bae, S et al., "A Study on SFCL with IGBT Based DC Circuit Breaker in Electric Power Grid," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1805-1811, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.5.1805