- Volume 13 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Mathematical Modeling and Control for A Single Winding Bearingless Flywheel Motor in Electric/Suspension Mode
- Yuan, Ye (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Jiangsu University) ;
- Huang, Yonghong (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Jiangsu University) ;
- Xiang, Qianwen (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Jiangsu University) ;
- Sun, Yukun (School of Power Engineering, Nanjing Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2017.12.17
- Accepted : 2018.04.06
- Published : 2018.09.01
With the increase of the production of energy from renewable, it becomes important to look at techniques to store this energy. Therefore, a single winding bearingless flywheel motor (SWBFM) specially for flywheel energy storage system is introduced. For the control system of SWBFM, coupling between the torque and the suspension subsystems exists inevitably. It is necessary to build a reasonable radial force mathematical model to precisely control SWBFM. However, SWBFM has twelve independently controlled windings which leads to high-order matrix transformation and complex differential calculation in the process of mathematical modeling based on virtual displacement method. In this frame, a Maxwell tensor modeling method which is no need the detailed derivation and complex theoretical computation is present. Moreover, it possesses advantages of universality, accuracy, and directness. The fringing magnetic path is improved from straight and circular lines to elliptical line and the rationality of elliptical line is verified by virtual displacement theory according to electromagnetic torque characteristics. A correction function is taken to increase the model accuracy based on finite element analysis. Simulation and experimental results show that the control system of SWBFM with radial force mathematical model based on Maxwell tensor method is feasible and has high precision.
Bearingless;Flywheel energy storage;Modeling method;Finite element analysis
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation
- O'Sullivan Dara L., and A. W. Lewis., "Generator Selection and Comparative Performance in Offshore Oscillating Water Column Ocean Wave Energy Converters," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 603-614, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2093527
- Sarkar S., and V. Ajjarapu, "MW resource assessment model for a hybrid energy conversion system with wind and solar resources," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 383-391, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2011.2148182
- Casella F., "Modeling, simulation, control, and optimization of a geothermal power plant," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 170-178, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2003.821823
- Yuan Y., Y. Sun and Huang Y., "Accurate mathematical model of bearingless flywheel motor based on Maxwell tensor method," ELECTRONICS LETTERS, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 950-952, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/el.2015.4313
- Zhan C. and Tseng K., "A novel flywheel energy storage system with partially-self-bearing flywheel-rotor," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 477-487, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2005.858088
- Subkhan M. and Komori M., "New Concept for Flywheel Energy Storage System Using SMB and PMB," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1485-1488, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2098470
- Wei K., Liu D. and Meng J, "Design and Simulation of a 12-Phase flywheel energy storage generator system with linearly dynamic load," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 1050-1055, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2040599
- Cimuca G., Breban S. and Mircea M, "Design and control strategies of an induction-machine-based flywheel energy storage system associated to a variable-speed wind generator," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 526-534, 2010 https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2010.2045925
- Abdi B., Hamid B. and Mirtalaei M., "Simplified design and optimization of slotless brushless DC machine for micro-satellites electro-mechanical batteries," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 124-129, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.1.124
- Kim J., Choi J. and Lee S, "Experimental Evaluation on Power Loss of Coreless Double-side Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor/Generator Applied to Flywheel Energy Storage System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 256-261, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2017.12.1.256
- Morrison C., Siebert M. and Ho E., "Electromagnetic Forces in a Hybrid Magnetic-Bearing Switched-Reluctance Motor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 44, no. 22, pp. 4626-4638, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2008.2002891
- Yuan Y., Sun Y. and Huang Y., "Variable saturation soft variable structure control of magnetic bearing," Control Theory & Applications, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 1627-1634, 2010.
- Takemoto M., Chiba A. and Akagi H., "Radial force and torque of a bearingless switched reluctance motor operating in a region of magnetic saturation," IEEE Transaction. Industry Applications, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 103-112, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2003.821816
- Rallabandi V. and Fernandes B., "Design procedure of segmented rotor switched reluctance motor for direct drive applications," IET Electric Power Applied, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 77-88, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2013.0154
- Cao X., Deng Z., Yang G., "Mathematical model of bearingless switched reluctance motors based on Maxwell stress tensor method," Proceedings of the CSEE, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 78-83, 2009.
- Yang G., Deng Z., Cao X., "Optimal winding arrangements of a bearingless switched reluctance motor," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 3056-3066, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2002070
- Yang Y., Deng Z., Cao X., "A control strategy for bearingless switched-reluctance motors," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 25, no. 11, pp. 2807-2819, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2051684
- Zhu Z., Sun Y., "Displacement and position observers designing for bearingless switched reluctance motor," Proceedings of the CSEE, vol. 32, no. 12, pp. 83-89, 2012.
- Yang Y., Deng Z., "Effects of control strategies on stator vibration of bearingless switched reluctance motors," Acta Aeronautica Et Astronaut Ica Sinica, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 2010-2017, 2010.
- Liu X., Sun Y., Wang D., "Decoupling and variable structure control for radial displacement of bearingless switched reluctance motors," Transactions of the Chinese Society for Agricultural Machinery, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 147-150, 2007.
- Yuan Y., Sun Y., Huang Y., "Radial force dynamic current compensation method of single winding bearingless flywheel motor," IET Power Electronics, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1224-1229, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2014.0502
- Cao X., Deng Z., Zhuang Z., "Principle and implementation of a bearingless switched reluctance generator with three adjacent excitation-windings connected in series," Transactions of China Electrotechnical, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 108-116, 2013.
- Cao X., Deng Z., "A full-period generating mode for bearingless switched reluctance generators," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 1072-1076, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2041206