- Volume 31 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate supplementation on lactation performance, blood-biochemical profile, and economic efficacy of mid-lactation Holstein cows
- Kim, Eun Tae (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Sang Suk (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Lee, Ji Hoon (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Plus), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jeong, Jin Suk (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Plus), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Shin Ja (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Plus), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Jeong, Joon (Livestock Research Institute, National Agricultural Cooperative Federation) ;
- Park, Jong Kook (Livestock Research Institute, National Agricultural Cooperative Federation) ;
- Park, Beom Young (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Sang Bum (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Jeong, Ha Yeon (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Ki, Kwang Seok (National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choi, Chang Weon (Department of Animal Resources, Daegu University) ;
- Kim, Chang Hyun (Department of Animal Life and Environment Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Kim, Jin Wook (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Plus), Gyeongsang National University) ;
- Lee, Sung Sill (Division of Applied Life Science (BK21 Plus), Gyeongsang National University)
- 투고 : 2018.05.10
- 심사 : 2018.07.16
- 발행 : 2018.09.01
Objective: This study was done to evaluate the effect of sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate (SSL) supplementation in a total mixed ration (TMR) on the lactation performance, blood parameters, and economic efficacy of mid-lactation Holstein cows. Methods: Twenty-four cows (body weight
연구 과제번호 : Cooperative Research Program for Agriculture Science & Technology Development
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Rural Development Administration
- Staples CR, Cullens FM. Implications of fat-feeding practices for lactating dairy cows-effects on milk fat. Adv Dairy Technol 2005;17:277-95.
- Akin DE. Evaluation by electron microscopy and anaerobic culture of types of rumen bacteria associated with digestion of forage cell walls. Appl Environ Microbiol 1980;39:242-52.
- Lee SS, Ahn BH, Kim HS, et al. Effects of non-ionic surfactants on enzyme distributions of rumen contents, anaerobic growth of rumen microbes, rumen fermentation characteristics and performances of lactating cows. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2003;16:104-15. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.104
- Lee SS, Ha JK. Influences of surfactant tween 80 on the gas production, cellulose digestion and enzyme activities by mixed rumen microorganisms. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2003;16:1151-7. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1151
- Goto M, Bae H, Lee SS, et al. Effects of surfactant Tween 80 on forage degradability and microbial growth on the in vitro rumen mixed and pure cultures. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2003;16:672-6. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.672
- Kim C-H, Kim JN, Ha JK, Yun SG, Lee SS. Effects of dietary addition of surfactant tween 80 on ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestibility of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2004;17:337-42. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.337
- Ahn G-C, Kim J-H, Park E-K, et al. Effects of non-ionic surfactant supplementation on ruminal fermentation, nutrient digestibility and performance of beef steers fed high-roughage diets. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2009;22:993-1004. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.90095
- Kim W, Gamo Y, Sani YM, et al. Effect of tween 80 on hydrolytic activity and substrate accessibility of carbohydrolase I (CBH I) from Trichoderma viride. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2006;19:684-9. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2006.684
- Hristov A, McAllister T, Olson M, et al. Effect of Tween 80 and salinomycin on ruminal fermentation and nutrient digestion in steers fed a diet containing 70% barley. Can J Anim Sci 2000;80:363-72. https://doi.org/10.4141/A99-067
- Wang Y, Alexander TW, McAllister TA. In vitro effects of Monensin and Tween 80 on ruminal fermentation of barley grain: barley silage-based diets for beef cattle. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2004;116:197-209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2004.06.006
- Zinn RA. Comparative feeding value of supplemental fat in steam-flaked corn-and steam-flaked wheat-based finishing diets for feedlot steers. J Anim Sci 1992;70:2959-69. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.70102959x
- Cho HT, Salvia-Trujillo L, Kim J, et al. Droplet size and composition of nutraceutical nanoemulsions influences bioavailability of long chain fatty acids and Coenzyme Q10. Food Chem 2014;156:117-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.01.084
- Kurukji D, Pichot R, Spyropoulos F, Norton IT. Interfacial behaviour of sodium stearoyllactylate (SSL) as an oil-in-water pickering emulsion stabiliser. J Colloid Interface Sci 2013;409:88-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2013.07.016
- Drackley JK, Cardoso FC. Prepartum and postpartum nutritional management to optimize fertility in high-yielding dairy cows in confined TMR systems. Animal 2014;8:5-14. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731114000731
- Drewnowski A. Obesity and the food environment: Dietary energy density and diet costs. Am J Prev Med 2004;27:154-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.06.011
- Narsimhan G, Wang Z. Guidelines for processing emulsionbased foods. In: Hasenhuettl GL, Hartel RW, editors. Food emulsifiers and their applications. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Springer; 2008. pp. 349-94.
- NRC. Nutrient requirements of dairy cattle. 7th ed. Washington, DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2001.
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Arlington, VA, USA: AOAC International;1990.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Cockcroft P. Bovine medicine. 3rd ed. West Sussex, UK: Wiley-Blackwell; 2015.
- Simon FP, Thomas JD. Rebhun's diseases of dairy cattle. Philadelphia, PA, USA: Saunders; 2008.
- Korea Dairy Committee. Korean milk pricing system. Dairy statistics yearbook [internet]. Sejong, Korea: Korea Dairy Committee [cited 2013 Feb 4]. Available from http://www.dairy.or.kr
- SAS (Statistical Analysis System) Institute Inc. SAS user's guide. 9.2th ed. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.; 2003.
- Duncan DB. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 1955;11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Dierick NA, Decuypere JA. Influence of lipase and/or emulsifier addition on the ileal and faecal nutrient digestibility in growing pigs fed diets containing 4% animal fat. J Sci Food Agric 2004;84:1443-50. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1794
- Dickinson E. Flocculation of protein-stabilized oil-in-water emulsions. Colloids Surfaces B Biointerfaces 2010;81:130-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2010.06.033
- Dickinson E. Food emulsions and foams: stabilization by particles. Curr Opin Colloid Interface Sci 2010;15:40-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cocis.2009.11.001
- Nishibu J. Current status of MUN utilization in Japan. Japan: Tokachi Federation Agricultural Cooperative 1998.
- Zinn RA, Gulati SK, Plascencia A, Salinas J. Influence of ruminal biohydrogenation on the feeding value of fat in finishing diets for feedlot cattle. J Anim Sci 2000;78:1738-46. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7871738x
- Payne JM, Dew SM, Manston R, Faulks M. The use of a metabolic profile test in dairy herds. Vet Rec 1970;87:150-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/vr.87.6.150
- Cho H-U, Ko W-S, Son H-W, et al. Hematological and biochemical analysis of Korean indigenous cattle according to the ages. Korean J Vet Serv 2008;31:137-47.
- Sattar A, Mirza R. Haematological parameters in exotic cows during gestation and lactation under subtropical conditions. Pak Vet J 2009;29:129-32.
- Scamell JM. Healthy land for healthy cattle. Cattle Pract 2006;14:143-52.
- Mohamed GAE. Investigation of some enzymes level in blood and milk serum in two stages of milk yield daily cows at Assiut city. Assiut Vet Med J 2014;60:110-20.
- Rivera JD, Bachman SE, Hubbert ME, et al. Short communication: serum and tissue concentrations of vitamin D metabolites in beef heifers after buccal dosing of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3. J Dairy Sci 2005;88:1364-9. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72803-4
- Kim DH, Kim KH, Nam IS, et al. Effect of indigenous herbs on growth, blood metabolites and carcass characteristics in the late fattening period of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2013;26:1562-8. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13132