- Volume 31 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effects of feeding different proportions of silver leaf desmodium (Desmodium uncinatum) with banana (Musa paradisiaca) leaf on nutrient utilization in Horro sheep fed a basal diet of natural grass hay
- Chali, Diriba (College of Agriculture, Hawassa University) ;
- Nurfeta, Ajebu (College of Agriculture, Hawassa University) ;
- Banerjee, Sandip (College of Agriculture, Hawassa University) ;
- Eik, Lars Olav (Department of International Environment and Development Studies, Noragric, Norwegian University of Life Sciences)
- Received : 2017.11.10
- Accepted : 2018.02.05
- Published : 2018.09.01
Objective: The objective was to evaluate feed intake, digestibility, body weight change and carcass characteristics of sheep fed a basal diet of hay supplemented with banana leaves and silver leaf desmodium. Methods: Thirty yearling lambs with an average initial body weight of
Banana Leaf;Body Weight Gain;Feed Intake;Horro Sheep;Silver Leaf Desmodium
- AGP-LMD (Agricultural Growth Program-Livestock Market Development Program). End Market Analysis for Meat/Live Animals, Leather and Leather Products, Dairy Products Value Chains Expanding Livestock Markets for Smallholder Producers; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: USAID; 2013.
- Tessema Z, Halima H. Forage and pasture research achievements in north-western Ethiopia. In: Seboka B, Deressa A, Editors. Proceedings of the fourth technology generation. Transfer and gap analysis workshop on agricultural research and technology transfer attempts and achievements in northern Ethiopia; 1997 March 18-21: Bahir Dar, Ethiopia. Ethiopian Agricultural Research Organization; 1998.
- Talore DG. Evaluation of major feed resources in crop-livestock mixed farming systems, Southern Ethiopia: Indigenous knowledge versus laboratory analysis results. J Agric Rural Dev Trop Subtrop 2015;116:157-66.
- Katongole CB, Bareeba FM, Sabiiti EN, Ledin I. Nutritional characterization of some tropical urban market crop wastes. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2008;14:275-91.
- Nurfeta A, Tolera A, Eik LO, Sundstol F. Feeding value of enset (Ensete ventricosum), Desmodium intortum hay and untreated or urea and calcium oxide treated wheat straw for sheep. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2009;93:94-104. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2007.00784.x
- Fitwi M, Tadesse G. Effect of sesame cake supplementation on feed intake, body weight gain, feed conversion efficiency and carcass parameters in the ration of sheep fed on wheat bran and teff (Eragrostis teff) straw. Momona Ethiopian J Sci 2013;5:89-106.
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis. Association of official analytical chemists (AOAC), 15th ed. Washington, DC, USA: AOAC International; 1995.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB. Analysis of forage and fibrous foods. A laboratory manual for Animal Science 613. Ithaca, New York, USA: Cornell University; 1985.
- SAS.SAS/STAT guide to personal computers -version 7. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute Inc.; 2008.
- Rahman MM, Huque KS. Study of voluntary intake and digestibility of banana foliage as cattle feed. Online J Biol Sci 2002;2:49-52. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2002.49.52
- Happi ET, Andrianaivo RH, Wathelet B, Tchango JT, Paquot M. Effect of the stage of maturation and varieties on the chemical composition of banana and banana peel. Food Chem 2007; 103:590-600. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.09.006
- Jingura RM, Sibanda S, Hamudikuwand H. Yield and nutritive values of tropical forage legumes grown in semi-arid parts of Zimbabwe. Trop Grassl 2001;36:168-74.
- Moges M, Tamir B, Yami A. The effect of grass hay with different level of Brewer's Dried Grain on feed intake, digestibility and body weight gain intact Wogera lambs. East Afr J Sci 2008;2:105-10.
- Yinnesu A, Nurfeta A. Effects of supplementing Erythrina brucei leaf as a substitute for cotton seed meal on performance of Sidama goats fed basal diet of natural grass hay. Trop Anim Health Prod 2012;44:445-51. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-011-9916-z
- Enoh MB, Kijora C, Peters KJ, Yonkeu S. Effect of stage of harvest on DM yield, nutrient content, in vitro and in situ parameters and their relationship of native and Brachiaria grasses in the Adamawa plateau of Cameroon. Livest Res Rural Dev 2005;17:Art. #4.
- Papachristou TG, Papanastasis VP. Forage value of Mediterranean deciduous woody fodder species and its implication to management of silvo-pastoral systems for goats. Agroforestry Syst 1994;27:269-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00705061
- Van Soest PJ. Nutritional ecology of ruminants. 2nd ed.: Ithaca, USA and London, UK: Cornell University Press; 1994.
- Amensisa E. Effect of supplementation of different levels of dried 'Girawa' (Vernonia amygdalina) foliage and crushed maize grain mixtures on feed intake, digestibility and body weight change of Horro sheep fed natural pasture hay [master's thesis]. Haramaya, Ethiopia: Haramaya University; 2010.
- Tolera A, Sundstol F. Supplementation of graded levels of Desmodium intortum hay to sheep feeding on maize stover harvested at three stages of maturity 1. Feed intake, digestibility and body weight change. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2000;85:239-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00135-8
Marie-Magdeleine C, Boval M, Philibert L, Borde A, Archimede H. Effect of banana foliage (Musa
$\times$paradisiacal) on nutrition, parasite infection and growth of lambs. Livest Sci 2010;131:234-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.04.006
- Nurfeta A, Tolera A, Eik LO, Sundstol F. The supplementary value of different parts of enset (Ensete ventricosum) to sheep fed wheat straw and Desmodium intortum hay. Livest Sci 2008;119:22-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2008.02.010
- Pieltain MC, Castanon JIR, Venture MR, Glores MP. The nutritive value of banana (Musa acumita L.) by-products for maintaining goats. Anim Sci 1999;69:213-6.
- Garcia CE, Chicco CF, Camevali AA. Meal of banana leaves in the feeding of ruminants. Agron Trop Venez 1973;23:293-9.
- Alemu W, Melaku S, Tolera A. Supplementation of cottonseed, linseed, and noug seed cakes on feed intake, digestibility, body weight, and carcass parameters of Sidama goats. Trop Anim Health Prod 2010;42:623-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9466-9
- Gebresilassie N. Effect of supplementation with dried leaves of Acacia Albida, Acacia seyal and their mixture on feed intake, digestibility, live weight gain and carcass characteristics of local sheep fed barley straw as basal diet [master's thesis]. Haramaya, Ethiopia: Haramaya University; 2011.
- Devendra C, Burns M. Feeding and nutrition. In goat production in the tropics. London, UK: CAB (Commonwealth Agriculture Bureaux); 1983.
- Taylor SCS, Murray JI. Effect of feeding level, breed and milking potential on body tissues and organs of mature, non-lactating cows. Anim Prod 1991;53:27-38. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100005948
- Melaku S, Betsha S. Bodyweight and carcass characteristics of Somali goats fed hay supplemented with graded levels of peanut cake and wheat bran mixture. Trop Anim Health Prod 2008;40:553-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-008-9133-6
- Kirton AH, Fourie DP, Jury EK. Growth and development of sheep. III. Growth of the carcass and non-carcass component of the south down and Romney and their cross and some relationships with composition. NZ J Agric Res 1972;15:214-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288233.1972.10421249
- Abadi N, Mohammed Y, Getachew A. Substitution effect of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) hulls to wheat bran on body weight change and carcass characteristics of Afar sheep fed hay as basal diet. Agric Sci Eng Technol Res 2014;2:1- 11.
- Tafa A, Melaku S, Peters KJ. Supplementation with linseed (Linum usitatissimum) cake and/or wheat bran on feed utilization and carcass characteristics of Arsi-Bale sheep. Trop Anim Health Prod 2010;42:677-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-009-9475-8