- Volume 31 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Editorial: Guidelines for experimental design and statistical analyses in animal studies submitted for publication in the Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences
- Seo, Seongwon (Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jeon, Seoyoung (Division of Animal and Dairy Science, Chungnam National University) ;
- Ha, Jong K. (Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences)
- Received : 2018.06.24
- Accepted : 2018.07.26
- Published : 2018.09.01
Animal experiments are essential to the study of animal nutrition. Because of the large variations among individual animals and ethical and economic constraints, experimental designs and statistical analyses are particularly important in animal experiments. To increase the scientific validity of the results and maximize the knowledge gained from animal experiments, each experiment should be appropriately designed, and the observations need to be correctly analyzed and transparently reported. There are many experimental designs and statistical methods. This editorial does not aim to review and present particular experimental designs and statistical methods. Instead, we discuss some essential elements when designing an animal experiment and conducting statistical analyses in animal nutritional studies and provide guidelines for submitting a manuscript to the Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences for consideration for publication.
Statistical Analysis;Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences;Guidelines
- Thiese MS, Walker S, Lindsey J. Truths, lies, and statistics. J Thorac Dis 2017;9:4117-24. https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2017.09.24
- Ahmadi A, Soori H. Important statistical points to improve and promote the methodology of the articles on medical sciences, particularly nephrology and kidney; a review article. J Renal Inj Prev 2015;4:4-8.
- Brophy RH, Kluck D, Marx RG. Update on the methodological quality of research published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine: comparing 2011-2013 to 10 and 20 years prior. Am J Sprots Med 2016;44:1343-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546515591264
- Kilkenny C, Parsons N, Kadyszewski E, et al. Survey of the quality of experimental design, statistical analysis and reporting of research using animals. PLoS One 2009;4:e7824. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0007824
- Parsons NR, Price CL, Hiskens R, Achten J, Costa ML. An evaluation of the quality of statistical design and analysis of published medical research: results from a systematic survey of general orthopaedic journals. BMC Med Res Methodol 2012;12:60. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-12-60
- Altman DG, Simera I. A history of the evolution of guidelines for reporting medical research: the long road to the EQUATOR Network. J R Soc Med 2016;109:67-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/0141076815625599
- Bailoo JD, Reichlin TS, Wurbel H. Refinement of experimental design and conduct in laboratory animal research. ILAR J 2014;55:383-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/ilar/ilu037
- Curtis MJ, Bond RA, Spina D, et al. Experimental design and analysis and their reporting: new guidance for publication in BJP. Br J Pharmacol 2015;172:3461-71. https://doi.org/10.1111/bph.12856
- Picciotto M. Reporting on experimental design and statistical analysis. J Neurosci 2017;37:3737. https://doi.org/10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0654-17.2017
- American Dairy Science Association. Journal of Dairy Science instructions to authors: Style and form. J Dairy Sci 2018;101: Instructions 1-14.
- Robinson PH, Wiseman J, Uden P, Mateos G. Some experimental design and statistical criteria for analysis of studies in manuscripts submitted for consideration for publication. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2006;129:1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.05.011
- Uden P, Robinson PH, Mateos GG, Blank R. Use of replicates in statistical analyses in papers submitted for publication in Animal Feed Science and Technology. Anim Feed Sci Technol 2012;171:1-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2011.10.008
- Cochran WG, Cox GM. Experimental designs. 2nd ed. New York, NY, USA: Wiley; 1957.
- Kuehl RO. Design of experiments: statistical principles of research design and analysis. 2nd ed. Pacific Grove, CA, USA: Duxbury Press; 2000.
- Kaps M, Lamberson WR. Biostatistics for animal science. 2nd ed. Cambridge, MA, USA: CABI; 2009.
- Morris TR. Experimental design and analysis in animal sciences. New York, NY, USA: CABI; 1999.
- Wilcox RA, Deyoe CW, Pfost HB. A method for determining and expressing the size of feed particles by sieving. Poult Sci 1970;49:9-13. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0490009
- Dunnett CW. A multiple comparison procedure for comparing several treatments with a control. J Am Stat Assoc 1955;50: 1096-121. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1955.10501294
- Tukey JW. Comparing individual means in the analysis of variance. Biometrics 1949;5:99-114. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001913
- Scheffe H. A method for judging all contrasts in the analysis of variance. Biometrika 1953;40:87-110.
- Fisher RA. The design of experiments. 8th ed. Edinburgh, UK: London Oliver & Boyd; 1935.
- Duncan DB. Multiple range and multiple F tests. Biometrics 1955;11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Effect of stocking density and sex on growth performance, meat quality, and intestinal barrier function in broiler chickens vol.98, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pey491
- The 30-year publication history of Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences vol.6, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.6087/kcse.150