- Volume 31 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of increased dietary crude protein levels on production performance, nitrogen utilisation, blood metabolites and ruminal fermentation of Holstein bulls
- Xia, Chuanqi ;
- Rahman, Muhammad Aziz Ur ;
- Yang, He ;
- Shao, Taoqi ;
- Qiu, Qinghua ;
- Su, Huawei ;
- Cao, Binghai
- Received : 2018.02.11
- Accepted : 2018.05.02
- Published : 2018.10.01
Objective: This study investigated the effect of dietary crude protein (CP) supplementation on nutrient intake, nitrogen (N) utilisation, blood metabolites, ruminal fermentation and growth performance of young Holstein bulls. Methods: Twenty-one young bulls weighing
Crude Protein;Nutrient Intake;Nitrogen Utilisation;Ruminal Fermentation;Holstein Bull
- Suharti S, Astuti DA, Wina E, Toharmat T. Rumen microbial population in the in vitro fermentation of different ratios of forage and concentrate in the presence of whole lerak (Sapindus rarak) fruit extract. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2011;24:1086-91. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.10409
- Detmann E, Queiroz ACD, Zorzi K, et al. In vitro degradation of neutral detergent fiber of low-quality tropical forage according to supplementation with true protein and (or) non-protein nitrogen. R Bras Zootec 2011;40:1272-9. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982011000600016
- Carlson DB, Litherland NB, Dann HM, Woodworth JC, Drackley JK. Metabolic effects of abomasal L-carnitine infusion and feed restriction in lactating Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:4819-34. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72531-0
- O'Colmenero JJ, Broderick GA. Effect of dietary crude protein concentration on milk production and nitrogen utilization in lactating dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2006;89:1704-12. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(06)72238-X
- Nocek JE. Bovine acidosis: implications on laminitis. J Dairy Sci 1997;80:1005-28. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76026-0
- Kang S, Wanapat M, Phesatcha K, Norrapoke T. Effect of protein level and urea in concentrate mixture on feed intake and rumen fermentation in swamp buffaloes fed rice strawbased diet. Trop Anim Health Prod 2015;47:671-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0777-8
- Norrapoke T, Wanapat M, Wanapat S. Effects of protein level and mangosteen peel pellets (Mago-pel) in concentrate diets on rumen fermentation and milk production in lactating dairy crossbreds. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2012;25:971-9. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12053
- Javaid A, Shahzad MA, Nisa M, Sarwar M. Ruminal dynamics of ad libitum feeding in buffalo bulls receiving different level of rumen degradable protein. Livest Sci 2011;135:98-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2010.06.133
- Abadi EIK, Tahmasebi AM, Mesgaran MD, Naserian AA, Vakili A. Effect of dietary crude protein level on UT-B expression and nitrogen efficiency in growing Baluchi male lambs fed low or high concentrate diets. Iran J Appl Anim Sci 2015;5:323-32.
- Leonardi C, Stevenson M, Armentano LE. Effect of two levels of crude protein and methionine supplementation on performance of dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2003;86:4033-42. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)74014-4
- Danes MAC, Chagas LJ, Pedroso AM, Santos FAP. Effect of protein supplementation on milk production and metabolism of dairy cows grazing tropical grass. J Dairy Sci 2013;96:407-19. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5607
- Hatfield PG, Hopkins JA, Ramsey WS, Gilmore A. Effects of level of protein and type of molasses on digesta kinetics and blood metabolites in sheep. Small Rumin Res 1998;28:161-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(97)00085-0
- Gleghorn JF, Elam NA, Galyean ML, et al. Effects of crude protein concentration and degradability on performance, carcass characteristics, and serum urea nitrogen concentrations in finishing beef steers. J Anim Sci 2004;82:2705-17. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8292705x
- NRC. Nutrient requirements of beef cattle. 7th edn. Washington DC, USA: National Academy Press; 2001.
- Galyean ML. Protein levels in beef cattle finishing diets: Industry application, university research, and systems results. J Anim Sci 1996;74:2860-70. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.74112860x
- Muhammad AUR, Xia CQ, Cao BH. Dietary forage concentration and particle size affect sorting, feeding behaviour, intake and growth of Chinese holstein male calves. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2016;100:217-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12349
- Broderick GA, Kang JH. Automated simultaneous determination of ammonia and total amino acids in ruminal fluid and in vitro media. J Dairy Sci 1980;63:64-75. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(80)82888-8
- Kim ET, Min K-S, Kim C-H, et al. The effect of plant extracts on in-vitro ruminal fermentation, methanogenesis and methanerelated microbes in the rumen. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2013;26:517-22. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12480
- Berger LL, Klopfenstein TJ, Britton RA. Effect of sodium hydroxide treatment on rate of passage and rate of ruminal fiber digestion. J Anim Sci 1980;50:745-9. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.504745x
- AOAC. Official methods of analysis of the AOAC International. 17th edn. Gaithersberg, MD, USA: AOAC International; 2000.
- Van Soest PJ, Robertson JB, Lewis BA. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J Dairy Sci 1991;74:3583-97. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Bahrami-Yekdangi H, Khorvash M, Ghorbani GR, et al. Effects of decreasing metabolizable protein and rumen-undegradable protein on milk production and composition and blood metabolites of Holstein dairy cows in early lactation. J Dairy Sci 2014;97:3707-14. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-6725
- Bahrami-Yekdangi M, Ghorbani GR, Khorvash M, Khan MA, Ghaffari MH. Reducing crude protein and rumen degradable protein with a constant concentration of rumen undegradable protein in the diet of dairy cows: Production performance, nutrient digestibility, nitrogen efficiency, and blood metabolites. J Anim Sci 2016;94:718-25.
- Dung DV, Ba NX, Van NH, et al. Practice on improving fattening local cattle production in Vietnam by increasing crude protein level in concentrate and concentrate level. Trop Anim Health Prod 2013;45:1619-26. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-013-0407-2
- Chanthakhoun V, Wanapat M, Berg J. Level of crude protein in concentrate supplements influenced rumen characteristics, microbial protein synthesis and digestibility in swamp buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Livest Sci 2012;144:197-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.11.011
- Reid M, O'Donovan M, Elliott CT, et al. The effect of dietary crude protein and phosphorus on grass-fed dairy cow production, nutrient status, and milk heat stability. J Dairy Sci 2015;98:517-31. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2014-8437
- Davidson S, Hopkins BA, Diaz DE, et al. Effects of amounts and degradability of dietary protein on lactation, nitrogen utilization, and excretion in early lactation Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci 2003;86:1681-9. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73754-0
- Pilachai R, Schonewille JT, Thamrongyoswittayakul C, et al. The effects of high levels of rumen degradable protein on rumen pH and histamine concentrations in dairy cows. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2012;96:206-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2011.01139.x
- Liu Z, Zhang CJ, Hao ZL, Li FD. Effects of total pellet feed diet with different straws on the rumen and blood metabolism parameters for sheep. China Feed 2005;11:12-4 (In Chinese).
- Sami AS, Schuster M, Schwarz FJ. Performance, carcass characteristics and chemical composition of beef affected by lupine seed, rapeseed meal and soybean meal. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr 2010;94:465-73.