- Volume 2 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Phase Error Reduction for Multi-frequency Fringe Projection Profilometry Using Adaptive Compensation
- Cho, Choon Sik (School of Electronics and Information Engineering, Korea Aerospace University) ;
- Han, Junghee (School of Electronics and Information Engineering, Korea Aerospace University)
- Received : 2018.06.18
- Accepted : 2018.07.04
- Published : 2018.08.25
A new multi-frequency fringe projection method is proposed to reduce the nonlinear phase error in 3-D shape measurements using an adaptive compensation method. The phase error of the traditional fringe projection technique originates from various sources such as lens distortion, the nonlinear imaging system and a nonsinusoidal fringe pattern that can be very difficult to model. Inherent possibility of phase error appearing hinders one from accurate 3-D reconstruction. In this work, an adaptive compensation algorithm is introduced to reduce adaptively the phase error resulting from the fringe projection profilometry. Three different frequencies are used for generating the gratings of projector and conveyed to the four-step phase-shifting procedure to measure the objects of very discontinuous surfaces. The 3-D shape results show that this proposed technique succeeds in reconstructing the 3-D shape of any type of objects.
- G. Sansoni, M. Trebeschi, and F. Docchio, "State-of-the-art and applications of 3D imaging sensors in industry, cultural heritage, medicine, and criminal investigation," Sens. 9, 568-601 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3390/s90100568
- H. Takasaki, "Moiré topography," Appl. Opt. 9, 1467-1472 (1970). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.9.001467
- O. Kafri and I. Glatt, The Physics of Moiré Metrology (John Wiley & Sons, NJ, USA, 1990).
- I. Amidror, The Theory of the Moiré Phenomenon (Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Netherlands, 2000).
- N. Li, "Simulation of a small feature gauging system using phase-shift projection Moiré topography," in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Information Management and Engineering (China, Apr. 2010), pp. 366-369.
- J. Degrieck, W. Van Paepegem, and P. Boone, "Application of digital phase shift shadow Moiré to micro deformation measurement of curved surface," Opt. Lasers Eng. 36, 29-40 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-8166(01)00044-6
- G. S. Spagnolo, D. Ambrosini, and D. Paoletti, "Low-cost optoelectronic system for three-dimensional artwork texture measurement," IEEE Trans. Image Process. 13, 390-396 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/TIP.2003.821116
- K. Wenzel, A. Antal, K. Molnar, B. Toth, and P. Tamas, "New optical equipment in 3D surface measuring," J. Autom., Mobile Rob. Intell. 3, 29-32 (2009).
- K. Liu, Y. Wang, D. L. Lau, Q. Hao, and L. G. Hassebrook, "Gamma model and its analysis for phase measuring profilometry," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A 27, 553-562 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSAA.27.000553
- M. Takeda, H. Ina, and S. Kobayashi, "Fourier-transform method of fringe-pattern analysis for computer-based topography and interferometry," J. Opt. Soc. Am. 72, 156-160 (1982). https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.72.000156
- D. C. Ghiglia and M. D. Pritt, Two-Dimensional Phase Unwrapping: Theory, Algorithms, and Software (John Wiley & Sons, NJ, USA, Wiley, 1998).
- H. Zhao, W. Chen, and Y. Tan, "Phase-unwrapping algorithm for the measurement of three-dimensional object shapes," Appl. Opt. 33, 4497-4500 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.33.004497
- S. Zhang and P. S. Huang, "Phase error compensation for a 3-D measurement system based on the phase-shifting method," Opt. Eng. 46, 063601 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.2746814
- C. Zhou, T. Liu, S. Si, J. Xu, Y. Liu, and Z. Lei, "An improved stair phase encoding method for absolute phase retrieval," Opt. Lasers Eng. 66, 269-278 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2014.09.011
- Z. Lei, C. Wang, and C, Zhou, "Multi-frequency inverse-phase fringe projection profilometry for nonlinear phase error compensation," Opt. Lasers. Eng. 66, 249-257 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2014.09.018