- Volume 2 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Ultraviolet Light Sensor Based on an Azobenzene-polymer-capped Optical-fiber End
- Cho, Hee-Taek (Department of Photonic Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Seo, Gyeong-Seo (Department of Photonic Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Lim, Ok-Rak (Department of Photonic Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Shin, Woojin (Advanced Photonics Research Institute, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Jang, Hee-Jin (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Chosun University) ;
- Ahn, Tae-Jung (Department of Photonic Engineering, Chosun University)
- Received : 2018.06.29
- Accepted : 2018.07.24
- Published : 2018.08.25
We propose a simple ultraviolet (UV) sensor consisting of a conventional single-mode optical fiber capped with an azobenzene-moiety-containing polymer. The UV light changes the dimensions of the azobenzene polymer, as well as the refractive index of the material. Incident light with a wavelength of 1550 nm was reflected at the fiber/polymer and polymer/air interfaces, and interference of the reflected beams resulted in spectral interference that shifted the wavelength by 0.78 nm at a UV input power of
Supported by : Korean Research Foundation’s, Korea Energy Technology Evaluation Institute (KETEP)
- R. T. Kashiwabuchi, F. R. S. Carvalho, Y. A. Khan, D. de Freitas, A. S. Foronda, F. E. Hirai, M. S. Campos, and P. J. McDonnell, "Assessing efficacy of combined riboflavin and UV-A light (365 nm) treatment of Acanthamoeba Trophozoites," Invest. Ophthalmol. Visual Sci. 52, 9333-9338 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1167/iovs.11-8382
- R. Simpson, Lighting Control: Technology and Applications (Burlington, MA: Focal Press, 2003).
- B. Srikanth, "Recent advancements in UV technology yield enhanced TOC reduction performance," Ultrapure Water 15, 40-46 (1998).
- S. P. Pappas, UV Curing: Science and Technology, Vol. 2 (Technology Marketing Corporation, 1985).
- R. Zhou and X. Tian, "Design and simulation of UV LED light source for curing rotary printing ink," J. Control Eng. Technol. 3, 153-157 (2013).
- Y. Hu and K. Liu, Inspection and Monitoring Technologies of Transmission Lines with Remote Sensing (San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2017).
- A. R. Pauchard, D. Manic, A. Flanagan, P. A. Besse, and R. S. Popovic, "A method for spark rejection in ultraviolet flame detectors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 47, 168-174 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1109/41.824139
- K.-M. Shong, Y.-S. Kim, and S.-G. Kim, "Images detection and diagnosis of corona discharge on porcelain insulators at 22.9 kV D/L," in Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Diagnositics for Electric Machines (Poland, Sept. 2007), pp. 462-466.
- M. A. Uman, The Lightning Discharge (Orlando, FL: Academic Press, 1987).
- O. M. Nayfeh, S. Rao, A. Smith, J. Therrien, and M. H. Nayfeh, "Thin film silicon nanoparticle UV photodetector," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 16, 1927-1929 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2004.831271
- M. K. W. Stranges, S. U. Haq, and D. G. Dunn, "Black-out test versus UV camera for corona inspection of HV motor stator endwindings," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 50, 3125-3140 (2014).
- K. T. Kim, N. I. Moon, and H.-K Kim, "A fiber-optic UV sensor based on a side-polished single mode fiber covered with azobenzene dye-doped polycarbonate," Sens. Actuators A 160, 19-21 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2010.01.032
- S.-W. Jang, S.-J. Son, D.-E. Kim, D.-H. Kwon, S.-H. Kim, Y.-H. Lee, and S.-W. Kang, "UV-sensitive photofunctional device using evanescent field absorption between SU-8 polymer optical waveguide and photochromic dye," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 18, 82-84 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2005.860394
- H.-K. Kim, W. Shin, and T.-J. Ahn, "UV sensor based on photomechanically functional polymer-coated FBG," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 22, 1404-1406 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/LPT.2010.2059375
- D.-S. Choi, H.-K. Kim, and T.-J. Ahn, "The study of thermal effect suppression and wavelength dependence of azobenzene-coated FBG for UV sensing application," Korean J. Opt. Photon. 22, 67-71 (2011). https://doi.org/10.3807/KJOP.2011.22.2.067
- W. Y. Kim, C.-Y. Kim, H.-K. Kim, and T.-J. Ahn, "Improving the sensitivity of an ultraviolet optical sensor based on a fiber Bragg grating by coating with a photoresponsive material," Korean J. Opt. Photon. 26, 83-87 (2015). https://doi.org/10.3807/KJOP.2015.26.2.083
- G.-S. Seo and T.-J. Ahn, "Protection method for diameter-downsized fiber Bragg gratings for highly sensitive ultraviolet light sensors," Curr. Opt. Photon. 2, 221-225 (2018).
- A. Lendlein, H. Jiang, O. Jünger, and R. Langer, "Light-induced shape-memory polymers," Nature 434, 879-882 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03496
- H.-K. Kim, X.-S. Wang, Y. Fujita, A. Sudo, H. Nishida, M. Fujii, and T. Endo, "A rapid photomechanical switching polymer blend system composed of azobenzene-carrying poly(vinylether) and poly(carbonate)," Polymer 46, 5879-5883 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2005.05.082
- S. Tanaka, H.-K. Kim, A. Sudo, H. Nishida, and T. Endo, "Anisotropic photomechanical response of stretched blend film made of polycaprolactone-polyvinyl ether with azobenzene group as side chain," Macromol. Chem. Phys. 209, 2071-2077 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1002/macp.200800215
- S. O. Kasap, Optoelectronics and Photonics: Principles and Practices (Pearson, 2013).