- Volume 20 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Improvement of a Decision Tree for The Rehabilitation of Asphalt Pavement in City Road
도심지 아스팔트 포장의 유지보수공법 의사결정 절차 개선
- Park, Chang Kyu ;
- Kim, Won Jae ;
- Kim, Tae Woo ;
- Lee, Jin Wook ;
- Baek, Jong Eun ;
- Lee, Hyun Jong (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Sejong University)
- 박창규 (세종대학교 건설환경공학과) ;
- 김원재 (세종대학교 건설환경공학과) ;
- 김태우 (서울특별시 품질시험소 도로포장연구센터) ;
- 이진욱 ((재)서울기술연구원 연구기획팀) ;
- 백종은 (서울특별시 품질시험소 도로포장연구센터) ;
- 이현종 (세종대학교 건설환경공학과)
- Received : 2018.03.02
- Accepted : 2018.06.04
- Published : 2018.06.15
PURPOSES : The objective of this study is to develop a pavement rehabilitation decision tree considering current pavement condition by evaluating severity and distress types such as roughness, cracking and rutting. METHODS : To improve the proposed overall rehabilitation decision tree, current decision tree from Korea and decision trees from other countries were summarized and investigated. The problem when applying the current rehabilitation method obtained from the decision tree applied in Seoul was further analyzed. It was found that the current decision trees do not consider different distress characteristics such as crack type, road types and functions. Because of this, different distress values for IRI, crack rate and plastic deformation was added to the proposed decision tree to properly recommend appropriate pavement rehabilitation. Utilizing the 2017 Seoul pavement management system data and considering all factors as discussed, the proposed overall decision tree was revised and improved. RESULTS :In this study, the type of crack was included to the decision tree. Meanwhile current design thickness and special asphalt mixture were studied and improved to be applied on different pavement condition. In addition, the improved decision tree was incorporated with the Seoul asphalt overlay design program. In the case of Seoul's rehabilitation budget, rehabilitation budget can be optimized if a 25mm milling and overlay thickness is used. CONCLUSIONS:A practical and theoretical evaluation tool in pavement rehabilitation design was presented and proposed for Seoul City.
Grant : 포장도로 유지보수 기법 및 적용기준 개발
Supported by : 서울특별시 품질시험소, 국토교통부
- Kim, W. J. et al. (2017). "Improvement and Validation of an Overlay Design Equation in Seoul" Int. J. Highw. Eng. Vol.19 No.5 : 49-58 OCTOBER 2017. https://doi.org/10.7855/IJHE.2017.19.5.049
- Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology (KICT) (2012). Pavement Management System Report (in Korean).
- Le Van Phuc et al. (2016). "Development of a simple asphalt concrete overlay design scheme based on mechanistic-empirical approach", Journal Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 18, 2017-issue 3, pp.630-645.
- McGhee, K. H. (2004). "Automated Pavement Distress Collection Techniques". NCHRP Synthesis 334, Transportation Research Board, Washington. DC.
- Minnesota Department of Transportation (MNDOT) (2011). Distress Identification Manual, Minnesota.
- New Airport Hiway (2006). Evaluation and maintenance plan of Incheon International Airport highway pavement (in Korean).
- Oregon Department of Transportation (2010). GFP Pavement Condition Rating Manual, Oregon.
- Saha, P., and K. Ksaibati (2014). A RISK-BASED OPTIMIZATION METHODOLOGY FOR MANAGING COUNTY PAVED ROADS, Department of Civil & Architectural Engineering, University of Wyoming, Director of the Wyoming Technology Transfer Center, Wyoming.
- Seoul Metropolitan Government (2015). Asphalt pavement overlay design guide for Seoul city. Seoul (in Korean).
- Seoul Metropolitan Government (2017). Road Pavement Maintenance Master Plan for Seoul city (in Korean).
- Wolters, A., K. Zimmerman, K. Schattler, and A. Rietgraf (2011). IMPLEMENTING PAVEMENT MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS FOR LOCAL AGENCIES. State-of-the-Art/State-of-the-Practice. Research Project ICT-11-094. Illinois Center for Transportation, Rantoul.