- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Sensorless Control of IPMSM with a Simplified High-Frequency Square Wave Injection Method
- Alaei, Ahmadreza ;
- Lee, Dong-Hee ;
- Ahn, Jin-Woo ;
- Saghaeian Nejad, Sayed Morteza
- Received : 2017.09.05
- Accepted : 2018.01.26
- Published : 2018.07.01
This paper presents a sensorless speed control of IPMSM (Interior Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor) using the high-frequency (HF) square wave injection method. In the proposed HF pulsating square wave injection method, injection voltage is applied into the estimated d-axis of rotor and high-frequency induced q-axis current is considered to estimate the rotor position. Conventional square wave injection methods may need complex demodulation process to find rotor position, while in the proposed method, an easy demodulation process based on the rising-falling edge of the injected voltage and carrier induced q-axis current is implemented, which needs less processing time and improves control bandwidth. Unlike some saliency-based sensorless methods, the proposed method uses maximum torque per ampere (MTPA) strategy, instead of zero d-axis command current strategy, to improve control performance. Furthermore, this paper directly uses resultant d-axis current to detect the magnet polarity and eliminates the need to add an extra pulse injection for magnet polarity detection. As experimental results show, the proposed method can quickly find initial rotor position and MTPA strategy helps to improve the control performance. The effectiveness of the proposed method and all theoretical concepts are verified by mathematical equations, simulation, and experimental tests.
IPMSM(interior permanent magnet synchronous motor);Sensorless control;Square wave voltage injection;Rotor position estimation;MTPA(maximum torque per ampere);Magnet polarity detection
- C. Zhiqian, M. Tomita, S. Doki, and S. Okuma, "An extended electromotive force model for sensorless control of interior permanent-magnet synchronous motors," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 50, issue 2, pp. 288-295, April 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2003.809391
- S. Morimoto, K. Kawamoto, M. Sanada, and Y. Takeda, "Sensorless control strategy for salient-pole PMSM based on extended EMF in rotating reference frame," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 38, pp. 1054-1061, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2002.800777
- G. Wang, H. Zhan, G. Zhang, X. Gui, and D. Xu, "Adaptive Compensation Method of Position Estimation Harmonic Error for EMF-Based Observer in Sensorless IPMSM Drives," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, issue 6, pp. 3055-3064, June 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2276613
- P. L. Xu and Z. Q. Zhu, "Novel Square-Wave Signal Injection Method Using Zero-Sequence Voltage for Sensorless Control of PMSM Drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, issue 12, pp. 7444-7454, Dec. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2593657
- W. Zine, L. Idkhajine, E. Monmasson, P. A. Chauvenet, A. Bruyere, and B. Condamin, "Investigation of saturation impact on an IPMSM saliencybased sensorless control for automotive applications," in 2016 International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion (SPEEDAM), 2016, pp. 1238-1243.
- Z. Yue, Z. Zhe, M. Cong, W. Qiao, and Q. Liyan, "Sensorless control of surface-mounted permanentmagnet synchronous machines for low-speed operation based on high-frequency square-wave voltage injection," in 2013 IEEE Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting, 2013, pp. 1-8.
- Y. D. Yoon, S. K. Sul, S. Morimoto, and K. Ide, "High-Bandwidth Sensorless Algorithm for AC Machines Based on Square-Wave-Type Voltage Injection," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 47, issue 3, pp. 1361-1370, May- June 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2011.2126552
- Y. D. Yoon and S. K. Sul, "Sensorless Control for Induction Machines Based on Square-Wave Voltage Injection," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 29, issue 7, pp. 3637-3645, July 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2278103
- S. C. Yang and Y. L. Hsu, "Full Speed Region Sensorless Drive of Permanent-Magnet Machine Combining Saliency-Based and Back-EMF-Based Drive," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 64, issue 2, pp. 1092-1101, Feb. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2612175
- P. L. Xu and Z. Q. Zhu, "Novel Carrier Signal Injection Method Using Zero-Sequence Voltage for Sensorless Control of PMSM Drives," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, issue 4, pp. 2053-2061, April 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2506146
- P. L. Xu and Z. Q. Zhu, "Carrier Signal InjectionBased Sensorless Control for Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Machine Drives Considering Machine Parameter Asymmetry," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, issue 5, pp. 2813-2824, May 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2015.2510979
- J. M. Liu and Z. Q. Zhu, "Novel Sensorless Control Strategy With Injection of High-Frequency Pulsating Carrier Signal Into Stationary Reference Frame," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 50, issue 4,pp. 2574-2583,July-Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2293000
- Z. Q. Zhu and L. M. Gong, "Investigation of Effectiveness of Sensorless Operation in CarrierSignal-Injection-Based Sensorless-Control Methods," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 58, issue 8, pp. 3431-3439, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2010.2081960
- G. Wang, R. Yang, and D. Xu, "DSP-Based Control of Sensorless IPMSM Drives for Wide-Speed-Range Operation," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 60, issue 2, pp. 720-727, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2205360
- K. T. Chau, C. C. Chan, and C. Liu, "Overview of Permanent-Magnet Brushless Drives for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, issue 6,pp. 2246-2257, June 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.918403
- T. D. Batzel and K. Y. Lee, "Slotless permanent magnet synchronous motor operation without a high resolution rotor angle sensor," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 15, issue 4, pp. 366-371, December 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/60.900494
- N. Bianchi, S. Bolognani, J. H. Jang, and S. K. Sul, "Advantages of Inset PM Machines for Zero-Speed Sensorless Position Detection," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 44, issue 4, pp. 1190- 1198, July-Aug. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2008.926203
- M. Linke, R. Kennel, and J. Holtz, "Sensorless speed and position control of synchronous machines using alternating carrier injection," in Electric Machines and Drives Conference, 2003. IEMDC'03. IEEE International, vol. 2, pp. 1211-1217, 2003.
- Y. C. Kwon and S. K. Sul, "Reduction of Injection Voltage in Signal Injection Sensorless Drives Using a Capacitor-Integrated Inverter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 32,issue 8, pp. 6261-6274, Aug. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2620259
- S. Amornwongpeeti, O. Kiselychnyk, J. Wang, N. Shah, and M. Soumelidis, "Speed control of IPMSM motor drives using Model Reference Adaptive technique," in 2017 International Conference on Applied System Innovation(ICASI), pp. 672-675, 2017.
- P. L. Xu and Z. Q. Zhu, "Comparison of carrier signal injection methods for sensorless control of PMSM drives," in 2015 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 5616-5623, 2015.
- A. Ahmadreza, L. Dong-Hee, A. Jin-Woo, and N. Sayed Morteza Saghaeian, "Comparison of High Frequency Square Wave and Sinusoidal Wave Signal Injection Methods for IPMSM Sensorless Drive Application," pp. 704-706, 2017.
- F. Briz, M. W. Degner, P. Garcia, and J. M. Guerrero, "Rotor position estimation of AC machines using the zero-sequence carrier-signal voltage," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 41, issue 6, pp. 1637-1646, Nov.-Dec. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2005.857469
- M. E. Haque, Z. Limin, and M. F. Rahman, "A sensorless initial rotor position estimation scheme for a direct torque controlled interior permanent magnet synchronous motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 18, issue 6, pp. 1376-1383, Nov. 2003.
- L. M. Gong and Z. Q. Zhu, "Robust Initial Rotor Position Estimation of Permanent-Magnet Brushless AC Machines With Carrier-Signal-Injection-Based Sensorless Control," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 49, issue 6, pp. 2602-2609, Nov.- Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2265072
Grant : Human Resources Program in Energy Technology
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning(KETEP)