- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
High-speed angular-scan pulse-echo ultrasonic propagation imager for in situ non-destructive evaluation
- Abbas, Syed H. (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korean Advanced Institute for Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, Jung-Ryul (Department of Aerospace Engineering, Korean Advanced Institute for Science and Technology)
- Received : 2017.05.20
- Accepted : 2017.11.28
- Published : 2018.08.25
This study examines a non-contact laser scanning-based ultrasound system, called an angular scan pulse-echo ultrasonic propagation imager (A-PE-UPI), that uses coincided laser beams for ultrasonic sensing and generation. A laser Doppler vibrometer is used for sensing, while a diode pumped solid state (DPSS) Q-switched laser is used for generation of thermoelastic waves. A high-speed raster scanning of up to 10-kHz is achieved using a galvano-motorized mirror scanner that allows for coincided sensing and for the generation beam to perform two-dimensional scanning without causing any harm to the surface under inspection. This process allows for the visualization of longitudinal wave propagation through-the-thickness. A pulse-echo ultrasonic wave propagation imaging algorithm (PE-UWPI) is used for on-the-fly damage visualization of the structure. The presented system is very effective for high-speed, localized, non-contact, and non-destructive inspection of aerospace structures. The system is tested on an aluminum honeycomb sandwich with disbonds and a carbon fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) honeycomb sandwich with a layer overlap. Inspection is performed at a 10-kHz scanning speed that takes 16 seconds to scan a
Supported by : Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy (MI), National Research Foundation of Korea
- Abetew, A.D., Hong, S.C., Lee, J.R., Baek, S. and Ihn, J.B. (2017), "Remote defect visualization of standard composite coupons using a mobile pulse-echo ultrasonic propagation imager", Adv. Compos. Mater., 26(1), 15-27. https://doi.org/10.1080/09243046.2017.1313574
- ASM Handbook (1989), Volume 17: Nondestructive Evaluation and Quality Control, ASM International.
- Aylward, R.P. (1999), "Advances and technologies of galvanometer-based optical scanners", In Proc. SPIE, 3787, 158-164.
- Bentouhami, F., Campagne, B., Cuevas, E., Drake, T., Dubois, M., Fraslin, T., Pineiro, P., Serrano, J. and Voillaume, H. (2010), "LUCIE-A flexible and powerful Laser Ultrasonic system for inspection of large CFRP components", Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Laser Ultrasonics, Talence, France.
- Campagne, B., Voillaume, H., Gouzerh, L. and Bentouhami, F. (2013), "Laser ultrasonic developments for NDT of aeronautic composite parts", Proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Nondestructive Characterization of Materials (NDCM-XIII), Le Mans, France.
- Chang, F.P., Drake, T.E., Osterkamp, M.A., Monchalin, J.P., Heon, R., Bouchard, P., Padioleau, C., Froom, D.A., Frazier, W. and Barton, J. (1993), "Laser ultrasonic inspection of honeycomb aircraft structures", Review of Progress in Quantitative NDE, 12, Plenum Press, New York, 611-616.
- Chia, C.C., Lee, J.R. and Shin, H.J. (2009), "Hot target inspection using a welded fibre acoustic wave piezoelectric sensor and a laser-ultrasonic mirror scanner", Measur. Sci. Technol., 20(12), 127003. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/20/12/127003
- Cho, S., Lee, J. and Sim, S.H. (2018), "Comparative study on displacement measurement sensors for high-speed railroad bridge", Smart Struct. Syst., 21(5), 637-652. https://doi.org/10.12989/SSS.2018.21.5.637
- Edwards, C., Stratoudaki, T., Dixon, S. and Palmer, S. (2001), "Laser generated ultrasound: efficiency and damage thresholds in carbon fibre reinforced composites", IEE Proceedings-Science, Measurement and Technology, 148(4), 139-142. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-smt:20010465
- Gholizadeh, S. (2016), "A review of non-destructive testing methods of composite materials", Procedia Struct. Integrity, 1, 50-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prostr.2016.02.008
- Hong, S.C., Abetew, A.D., Lee, J.R. and Ihn, J.B. (2016), "Three dimensional evaluation of aluminum plates with wall-thinning by full-field pulse-echo laser ultrasound", Optics and Lasers in Engineering.
- Hong, S.C., Lee, J.R. and Jung-il, k. (2017), "In process quality control of F-16 brake disk using in-process through-transmission ultrasonic propagation imaging system", In Korean Society of Nondestructive Testing (KSNT), Daegu, South Korea, May.
- Hong, S.C., Lee, J.R., Chong, S.Y. and Park, C.Y. (2012), "Effect of Laser Pulse Fatigue on the Mechanical Characteristics of a CFRP Plate", Appl. Mech. Mater., 225, 121-126. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.225.121
- Hutchins, D.A. (1988), Ultrasonic generation by pulsed lasers, Phys. Acoust., 18, 21-123.
- Koehler, B., Hentges, G. and Mueller, W. (1997), "A novel technique for advanced ultrasonic testing of concrete by using signal conditioning methods and a scanning laser vibrometer", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Nondestructive Testing in Civil Engineering, Liverpool, Uk.
- Kundu, T. (2003), Ultrasonic Nondestructive Evaluation: Engineering and Biological Material Characterization, CRC press, New York, NY, USA.
- Lee, J.R., Jeong, H., Ciang, C.C., Yoon, D.J. and Lee, S.S. (2010), "Application of ultrasonic wave propagation imaging method to automatic damage visualization of nuclear power plant pipeline", Nuclear Engineering and Design, 240(10), 3513-3520. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2010.06.011
- Lee, J.R., Shin, H.J., Chia, C.C., Dhital, D., Yoon, D.J. and Huh, Y.H. (2011), "Long distance laser ultrasonic propagation imaging system for damage visualization", Opt. Laser. Eng., 49(12), 1361-1371. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2011.07.011
- McKie, A.D. and Addison, R.C. (1994), "Practical considerations for the rapid inspection of composite materials using laserbased ultrasound", Ultrasonics, 32(5), 333-345. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-624X(94)90103-1
- Saleem, M. (2017), "Study to detect bond degradation in reinforced concrete beams using ultrasonic pulse velocity test method", Struct. Eng. Mech., 64(4), 427-436. https://doi.org/10.12989/SEM.2017.64.4.427
- Scruby, C.B. and Drain, L.E. (1990), Laser Ultrasonics Techniques and Applications, CRC Press, New York, NY, USA.
- Truong, C.T., Kang, D.H., Lee, J.R. and Farrar, C.R. (2015), "Comparative study of laser Doppler vibrometer and capacitive air-coupled transducer for ultrasonic propagation imager and the new development of an efficient ultrasonic wavenumber imaging algorithm", Strain, 51(4), 332-342. https://doi.org/10.1111/str.12144
- Truong, T.C. and Lee, J.R. (2016), "SNR enhancement for composite application using multiple Doppler vibrometers based laser ultrasonic propagation imager", Opt. Laser. Eng., 84, 82-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlaseng.2016.03.029
- Wdowik, R., Nazarko, P. and Porzycki, J. (2015), "Application of eddy current sensor System and LDV device for ultrasonic vibrations measurements", In Mechatronics-Ideas for Industrial Application, Springer, Cham, 407-415.
- Yim, H.J., Park, S.J., Kim, J.H. and Kwak, H.G. (2016), "Evaluation of freezing and thawing damage of concrete using a nonlinear ultrasonic method", Smart Struct. Syst., 17(1), 45-58. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.1.045
- Zhou, W., Li, H. and Yuan, F.G. (2016), "An anisotropic ultrasonic transducer for Lamb wave applications", Smart Struct. Syst., 17(6), 1055-1065. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2016.17.6.1055