- Volume 8 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Affecting Intentions to Use Internet-Only Bank in South Korea: Implications of Service Convenience and Social Influence
인터넷전문은행의 이용의도에 미치는 영향 요인: 편리성과 사회적 영향의 함의
- Joo, Jaehun (Division of Business Administration, Dongguk University-Gyeongju)
- 주재훈 (동국대학교(경주캠퍼스) 경영학부)
- Received : 2018.02.19
- Accepted : 2018.06.14
- Published : 2018.06.30
Internet-only bank is one of the promising areas of Fintech industry. Kbank and Kakaobank launched services since 2017 in Korea. Experts estimated the younger generation including undergraduate students as target customers in the initial stage of the Internet-only bank in Korea. Thus, it is necessary to investigate factors influencing intention to use the Internet-only bank. Data were collected from undergraduate students studying in Seoul, Pusan, and Gyeongbuk province. The empirical study showed the evidence that four factors such as convenience, social influence, perceived privacy, and unverified risk had a significant influence on intention to use the Internet-only bank. However, economic benefit has no significantly influence on the intention. The present study focused on the influence of convenience and social influence and discussed the issues regarding convenience and social influence in more detail.
Supported by : 동국대학교
- Ajzen, I. (1991), "The theory of planned behaviour," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 50(2), 179-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- Alalwan, A. A., Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P., and Algharabat, R. (2018), Examining factors influencing Jordanian customers' intentions and adoption of internet banking: Extending UTAUT2 with risk, Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 40, 125-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2017.08.026
- An, K, & Joo, J. (2017), Factors influencing intention to use Kakao Taxi as a O2O service, Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 87-105.
- Bae, J. (2017), The Structural Relationships among Information Security Threat Factors and Information Protection Behavior of the FinTech Services: Focus on Theoretical Perspectives of Technology Threat Avoidance and Health Protective Behaviors, The Journal of Information Systems, 26(3), 313-337.
- Bandyopadhyay, K. and Fraccastoro, K. A. (2007), "The effect of culture on user acceptance of information technology," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 19(1), 522-543.
- Bauer, R. A., Consumer Behavior as Risk Taking, Dynamic Marketing for a Chasing World, Hancock, Chicago: American Marketing Association, 1960, pp. 389-398.
- Berry, L., Seiders, K., and Grewal, D. (2002), "Understanding Service Convenience," Journal of Marketing, 66(3), 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.16805
- Brown, Lew G. (1990), "Convenience in Services Marketing," Journal of Services Marketing, 4(1), (Winter), 53-59. https://doi.org/10.1108/EUM0000000002505
- Dholakia, U. M., Bagozzi, R. P., and Pearo, L. K. (2004), "A social influence model of consumer participation in network- and small-group-based virtual communities," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 21, 241-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2003.12.004
- Fishbein, M.,& Ajzen, I. (1975), Belief, attitude, intention and behavior: An introduction to theory and research, Cambridge, MA: Addison-Wesley,
- Foon, Y.S. and B.C.Y. Fah (2011), "Internet Banking Adoption in Kuala Lumpur: An Application of UTAUT Model", International Journal of Business and Management, 6(4), 61-167.
- Gefen, D., Straub, D. W. and Boudreau, M. C. (2000), "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice," Communications of the Association for Information Systems, 4(7), 1-70.
- Gibson, J. J. (1977), The theory of affordances. In R. E. Shaw & J. Bransford (Eds.), Perceiving, Acting, and Knowing. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Hair, J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J. and Anderson, R. E. (2010). Multivariate Data Analysis, Seventh Edition, Prentice Hal, Upper Saddle, River, New Jersey.
- Han, S. and Lee, S. (2011), Effect of Service Convenience on the Relationship Performance in B2B Markets: Mediating Effect of Relationship Factors, Journal of Channel and Retailing, 16(4), 65-93.
- Hartson. H. R. (2003), "Cognitive, physical, sensory, and functional affordances in interaction design," Behavior & Information Technology, 22(5), 315-338. https://doi.org/10.1080/01449290310001592587
- Herzburg, F, Mausner, B., and Snyderman, B. B., (1959), Motivation to work, John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Hong, S. (2017), Successful Cases and Implications of Oversea Direct Banks: Japan and Europe, Financial Risk Review, 14(2), 62-76.
- Jeong, Y. (2006), Current Status and Outlook of Internet-only Bank, Payment and Information Technology, 23, 1-28.
- Jiang, L., Jiang., N., and Liu, S.(2011), "Consumer Perceptions of E-ServiceConvenience: An Exploratory Study," Procedia Environmental Sciences, 11, 406-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proenv.2011.12.065
- Joo, J. (2017), Electronic Commerce, 2nd Edition, Topbooks.
- Joo, J. (2017). "Motives for participating in sharing economy: Intentions to use car sharing services," Journal of Distribution Science, 15(2), 21-26
- Joo, J. and Han, J. (2012), Determinants of Price Premium in Online Open Marketplaces Based on Catalog Model, Korean Management Review, 41(3), 397-422.
- Khan1, S. A., Liang, Y., and Shahzad, S. (2015), "An Empirical Study of Perceived Factors Affecting Customer Satisfaction to Re-Purchase Intention in Online Stores in China," Journal of Service Science and Management, 2015, 8, 291-305 https://doi.org/10.4236/jssm.2015.83032
- Kim, D. and Kim, S. (2017), Factors to Influence Switching Intention to Internet-only Bank from Legacy Bank: Focused on Financial Consumers' Asset Management, Information Society and Media, 18(1), 105-134.
- Kim, S., Park, H., and Lee, B. (2010), The Relationships among Social Influence, Use-Diffusion, Continued Usage and Brand Switching Intention of Mobile Services, Asia Marketing Journal, 12(3), 1-24.
- Lee, M. and S. Kim (2017), Factors affecting the use of the intelligent chatbot services, Journal of Service Research and Studies, 7(3), 37-55.
- Lee, M. C. (2009), "Factors influencing the adoption of internet banking: An integration of TAM and TPB with perceived risk and perceived benefit," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, 8(3), 130-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2008.11.006
- Lee, S. (2016), The Determinants of Internet-only Banks' Performance in the US Banking Industry, Korea Capital Market Institute.
- Luhmann, N. (1979). Trust and power. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons.
- McAllister, D. J. (1995), Affect-and cognition-based trust as foundations for interpersonal cooperation in organizations. Academy of Management Journal, 38, 24-59.
- Meyer, E. (2015). "Building Trust Across Cultures", Retrieved from https://knowledge.insead.edu/blog/insead-blog/building-trust-across-cultures-3844#XTLymSjw7j4x6mTy.99
- Mishra, A. K. (1996), Organizational responses to crisis: The centrality of trust. In R. M. Kramer & T. R. Tyler (Eds.), Trust in organizations: Frontiers of theory and research (pp. 261-287). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Morganosky, M.A. (1986), Cost- versus convenience-oriented consumers: Demographic, lifestyle, and value perspectives. Psychology & Marketing, 3(1), 35-46. doi:10.1002/mar.4220030104. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.4220030104
- Nunnally, J. C. and Bemstein, I. H. (1994). Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Rice, R. E., Grant, A. E., Schmitz, J. and Torobin, J. (1990), "Individual and network influences on the adoption and perceived outcomes of electronic messaging," Social Networks, 12(1), 27-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-8733(90)90021-Z
- Schepers, J. and Wetzels, M., A. (2007). Meta-analysis of the technology acceptance model: Investigating subjective norm and moderation effects. Information & Management, 44, 90-103 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.10.007
- Seiders, K., Voss, G. B., Godfrey, A. L. and Grewal, D. (2007), "SERVCON: development and validation of a multidimensional service convenience scale," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 35(1), 144-156. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11747-006-0001-5
- Slade, E. L., Dwivedi, Y. K., Piercy, N. C. and Williams, M. D. (2015), "Modeling Consumers' Adoption Intentions of Remote Mobile Payments in the United Kingdom: Extending UTAUT with Innovativeness, Risk, and Trust," Psychology and Marketing, 32(8), 860-873. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20823
- Strasser, S. (1999). Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash, New York : Metropolitan Books.
- Tierney, T. F. (1993), The Value of Convenience: A Genealogy of Technical Culture, Albany: State University of New York Press.
- Venkatesh, V., Morris, M. G., Davis, G. B. and Davis, F. D. (2003), "User acceptance of information technology: Toward a unified view," MIS quarterly, 27(3), 425-478. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036540
- Venkatesh, V., Thong, J. and Xu, X. (2012). "Consumer acceptance and use of information technology: Extending the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology," MIS Quarterly, 36, 157-178.
- Venkatesh,V. and Morris, M. G. (2000), "Why Don't Men Ever Stop to Ask for Directions? Gender, Social Influence, and Their Role in Technology Acceptance and Usage Behavior," MIS Quarterly . 24(1), 115-139. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250981
- Yu, J. and ho, J. (2017), The Factors of Continuous Use for Mobile Payment Service under the Concept of Fintech, The Journal of Information Systems, 26(3), 25-46.
- Zeithaml, V. A. (1988), "Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality, and Value: A Means-End Model and Synthesis of Evidence," Journal of Marketing, 52(3), 2-22. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251446