- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Performance Enhancement of Radar Target Classification Using the Two-Level Feature Vector Fusion Method
- Kim, In-Ha (Department of Electronic Engineering, Hannam University) ;
- Choi, In-Sik (Department of Electronic Engineering, Hannam University) ;
- Chae, Dae-Young (Agency for Defense Development)
- Received : 2017.12.11
- Accepted : 2018.06.19
- Published : 2018.07.31
In this paper, we proposed a two-level feature vector fusion technique to improve the performance of target classification. The proposed method combines feature vectors of the early-time region and late-time region in the first-level fusion. In the second-level fusion, we combine the monostatic and bistatic features obtained in the first level. The radar cross section (RCS) of the 3D full-scale model is obtained using the electromagnetic analysis tool FEKO, and then, the feature vector of the target is extracted from it. The feature vector based on the waveform structure is used as the feature vector of the early-time region, while the resonance frequency extracted using the evolutionary programming-based CLEAN algorithm is used as the feature vector of the late-time region. The study results show that the two-level fusion method is better than the one-level fusion method.
Bistatic Radar;Feature Vector;Feature Vector Fusion;Monostatic Radar;Target Classification
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- J. E. Mooney, Z. Ding, and L. S. Riggs, "Performance analysis of a GLRT automated target discrimination scheme," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 49, no. 12, pp. 1827-1835, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.982466
- E. Rothwell, D. Nyquist, K. M. Chen, and B. Drachman, "Radar target discrimination using the extinction-pulse technique," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 929-937, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1985.1143697
- N. H. Younan, "Radar target identification via a combined E-pulse/SVD-Prony method," in the Record of the IEEE 2000 International Radar Conference, Alexandria, VA, 2000, pp. 799-803.
- M. Khodjet-Kesba, K. E. K. Drissi, S. Lee, K. Kerroum, C. Faure, and C. Pasquier, "Comparison of matrix pencil extracted features in time domain and in frequency domain for radar target classification," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2014, article ID. 930581, 2014.
- S. J. Lee, I. S. Choi, and D. Y. Chae, "A novel feature extraction method for radar target classification using fusion of early-time and late-time regions," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1020-1033, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1080/09205071.2017.1324324
- G. Turhan-Sayan, "Real time electromagnetic target classification using a novel feature extraction technique with PCA-based fusion," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 766-776, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2004.841326
- S. J. Lee, I. S. Choi, B. Cho, E. J. Rothwell, and A. K. Temme, "Performance enhancement of target recognition using feature vector fusion of monostatic and bistatic radar," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, vol. 144, pp. 291-302, 2014. https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER13103101
- S. J. Lee, I. S. Choi, and D. Y. Chae, "Study on the performance enhancement of radar target recognition using combining of feature vectors," The Journal of Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 928-935, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2013.24.9.928
- M. A. Selver, M. M. Taygur, M. Secmen, and E. Y. Zoral, "Hierarchical reconstruction and structural waveform analysis for target classification," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 3120-3129, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2016.2567438
- I. S. Choi, J. H. Lee, H. T. Kim, and E. J. Rothwell, "Natural frequency extraction using late-time evolutionary programming-based CLEAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 51, no. 12, pp. 3285-3292, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2003.820955
- K. Zikidis, A. Skondras, and C. Tokas, "Low observable principles, stealth aircraft and anti-stealth technologies," Journal of Computations & Modelling, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 129-165, 2014.
- S. J. Lee, S. J., Lee, and I. S. Choi, "A study on the target recognition using bistatic measured radar signals," The Journal of Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1002-1009, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5515/KJKIEES.2012.23.8.1002
- I. S. Choi and S. J. Lee, "Bistatic radar target identification using FFT-based CLEAN," in Proceedings of 2014 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGA- RSS), Quebec, Canada, 2014, pp. 1825-1828.