- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Calculating Array Patterns Using an Active Element Pattern Method with Ground Edge Effects
- Lee, Sun-Gyu (School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-Hae (School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2018.01.04
- Accepted : 2018.04.18
- Published : 2018.07.31
The array patterns of a patch array antenna were calculated using an active element pattern (AEP) method that considers ground edge effects. The classical equivalent radiation model of the patch antenna, which is characterized by two radiating slots, was adopted, and the AEPs that include mutual coupling were precisely calculated using full-wave simulated S-parameters. To improve the accuracy of the calculation, the edge diffraction of a ground plane was incorporated into AEP using the uniform geometrical theory of diffraction. The array patterns were then calculated on the basis of the computed AEPs. The array patterns obtained through the conventional AEP approach and the AEP method that takes ground edge effects into account were compared with the findings derived through full-wave simulations conducted using a High Frequency Structure Simulator (HFSS) and FEKO software. Results showed that the array patterns calculated using the proposed AEP method are more accurate than those derived using the conventional AEP technique, especially under a small number of array elements or under increased steering angles.
Active Element Pattern;Array Antenna;Array Pattern;Beam Forming;Beam Steering;Edge Diffraction;Finite Ground Plane;Mutual Coupling;Patch Antenna
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Institute for Information & Communications Technology Promotion (IITP)
- R. J. Mailloux, Phased Array Antenna Handbook. Boston, MA: Artech House, 2005.
- A. Ludwig, "Mutual coupling, gain and directivity of an array of two identical antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 837-841, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1976.1141440
- S. Lim, W. C. Choi, and Y. J. Yoon, "Miniaturized radio frequency choke using modified stubs for high isolation in MIMO systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 219-223, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2015.15.4.219
- D. Kwon, S. J. Lee, J. W. Kim, B. Ahn, J. W. Yu, and W. S. Lee, "An eight-element compact low-profile planar MIMO antenna using LC resonance with high isolation," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 194-197, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2016.16.3.194
- C. A. Balanis, Antenna Theory, 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
- N. Alexopoulos and I. Rana, "Mutual impedance computation between printed dipoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 106-111, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1981.1142531
- N. G. Alexopoulos, P. B. Katehi, and D. B. Rutledge, "Substrate optimization for integrated circuit antennas," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 550-557, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131544
- D. M. Pozar, "The active element pattern," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 1176- 1178, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.310010
- J. Huang, "The finite ground plane effect on the microstrip antenna radiation patterns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 649-653, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1983.1143108
- R. G. Kouyoumjian and P. H. Pathak, "A uniform geometrical theory of diffraction for an edge in a perfectly conducting surface," Proceedings of the IEEE, pp. 1448-1461, 1974, vol. 62, no. 11. https://doi.org/10.1109/PROC.1974.9651
- D. M. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, 4th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2012.