- Volume 18 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Optimization Methodology of Multiple Air Hole Effects in Substrate Integrated Waveguide Applications
- Kim, Jin-Yang (Network Business Group, Ace Technologies Corp.) ;
- Chun, Dong-Wan (Network Business Group, Ace Technologies Corp.) ;
- Ryu, Christopher Jayun (Network Business Group, Ace Technologies Corp.) ;
- Lee, Hai-Young (Department of Electronics Engineering, Ajou University)
- Received : 2018.02.03
- Accepted : 2018.04.15
- Published : 2018.07.31
A wide spectrum of potential applications using substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technologies in conjunction with air hole regions is introduced, and an efficient optimization methodology to cope with the multiple air hole effect in SIW applications is proposed. The methodology adopts a genetic algorithm to obtain optimum air hole dimensions for the specific propagation constant that can be accurately calculated using the recursive and closed form equations presented. The optimization results are evaluated by designing an SIW bandpass filter, and they show excellent performance. The optimization methodology using the proposed equations is effective in performance enhancement for the purposes of low loss and broadband SIW applications.
Genetic Algorithm;Multiple Air Hole Effect;Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW);Wave Equation
- P. Chen, W. Hong, Z. Kuai, J. Xu, H. Wang, J. Chen, H. Tang, J. Zhou, and K. Wu, "A multibeam antenna based on substrate integrated waveguide technology for MIMO wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1813-1821, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2009.2019868
- S. Cheng, H. Yousef, and H. Kratz, "79 GHz slot an- tennas based on substrate integrated waveguides (SIW) in a flexible printed circuit board," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 64-71, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2008.2009708
- X. P. Chen and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide filter: basic design rules and fundamental structure features," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 108-116, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MMM.2014.2321263
- X. P. Chen and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide filters: practical aspects and design considerations," IEEE Microwave Magazine, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 75-83, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MMM.2014.2355751
- A. Sahu, V. K. Devabhaktuni, R. K. Mishra, and P. H. Aaen, "Recent advances in theory and applications of substrate‐integrated waveguides: a review," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer‐Aided Engineering, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 129-145, 2016.
- Y. Q. Wen, B. Z. Wang, and X. Ding, "Wide-beam SIW-slot antenna for wide-angle scanning phased array," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 15, pp. 1638-1641, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2016.2519938
- K. Zhou, C. X. Zhou, and W. Wu, "Resonance characteristics of substrate-integrated rectangular cavity and their applications to dual-band and wide-stopband band- pass filters design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 65, no. 5, pp. 1511-1524, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2016.2645156
- D. S. Eom and H. Y. Lee, "Half-mode substrate integrated waveguide amplifier using lumped-element transition," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 29-33, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2017.17.1.29
- D. S. Eom and H. Y. Lee, "A broadband half-mode substrate integrated waveguide quadrature Wilkinson power divider using composite right/left-handed transmission line," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 9-13, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5515/JKIEES.2017.17.1.9
- Y. Cassivi, L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 333-335, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2002.803188
- F. Xu and K. Wu, "Guided-wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 66-73, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2004.839303
- D. Deslandes and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 2516-2526, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2006.875807
- W. Che, K. Deng, D. Wang, and Y. L. Chow, "Analytical equivalence between substrate-integrated waveguide and rectangular waveguide," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 35-41, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map:20060283
- M. Bozzi, L. Perregrini, and K. Wu, "Modeling of conductor, dielectric, and radiation losses in substrate integrated waveguide by the boundary integral-resonant mode expansion method," IEEE Transactions on Micro- wave Theory and Techniques, vol. 56, no. 12, pp. 3153- 3161, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2008.2007140
- W. Roh, J. Y. Seol, J. Park, B. Lee, J. Lee, Y. Kim, J. Cho, K. Cheun, and F. Aryanfar, "Millimeter-wave beamforming as an enabling technology for 5G cellular communications: theoretical feasibility and prototype results," IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 106-113, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2014.6736750
- Q. L. Yang, Y. L. Ban, K. Kang, and G. Wu, "SIW multibeam array for 5G mobile devices," IEEE Access, vol. 4, pp. 2788-2796, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2016.2578458
- B. Yang, Z. Yu, Y. Dong, J. Zhou, and W. Hong, "Compact tapered slot antenna array for 5G millimeter- wave massive MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 65, no. 12, pp. 6721- 6727, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2017.2700891
- I. Boudreau, K. Wu, and D. Deslandes, "Broadband phase shifter using air holes in substrate integrated waveguide," in Proceedings of 2011 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), Baltimore, MD, 2011, pp. 1-4.
- R. Isidro, A. Coves, M. A. Sanchez-Soriano, G. Torregrosa, E. Bronchalo, and M. Bozzi, "Systematic study of the effective permittivity in a periodically drilled substrate integrated waveguide," in PIERS Proceedings, Stockholm, Sweden, 2013, pp. 1870-1874.
- L. Jin, R. M. A. Lee, and I. Robertson, "Analysis and design of a novel low-loss hollow substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 1616-1624, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMTT.2014.2328555
- F. Bigelli, D. Mencarelli, M. Farina, G. Venanzoni, P. Scalmati, C. Renghini, and A. Morini, "Design and fabrication of a dielectricless substrate-integrated wave- guide," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 256-261, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCPMT.2015.2513077
- A. Coves, G. Torregrosa-Penalva, A. A. San-Blas, M. A. Sanchez-Soriano, A. Martellosio, E. Bronchalo, and M. Bozzi, "A novel band-pass filter based on a periodically drilled SIW structure," Radio Science, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 328-336, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/2015RS005874
- L. Silvestri, E. Massoni, C. Tomassoni, A. Coves, M. Bozzi, and L. Perregrini, "Modeling and implementation of perforated SIW filters," in Proceedings of 2016 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization (NEMO), Beijing, China, 2016, pp. 1-2.
- M. Bozzi, D. Deslandes, P. Arcioni, L. Perregrini, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Efficient analysis and experimental verification of substrate‐integrated slab wave- guides for wideband microwave applications," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer‐Aided Engineering, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 296-306, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.20085
- S. Yun, D. Y. Kim, and S. Nam, "Bandwidth and efficiency enhancement of cavity-backed slot antenna using a substrate removal," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 11, pp. 1458-1461, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2012.2230392
- Z. Kordiboroujeni and J. Bornemann, "Designing the width of substrate integrated waveguide structures," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 518-520, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2013.2279098
- J. Y. Kim, D. W. Chun, and H. Y. Lee, "Efficient modeling and analysis of the multiple air hole effect in substrate-integrated waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 93-95, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2017.2783763
- D. Pozar, Microwave Engineering, 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2005.
- G. R. Harik, "Finding multimodal solutions using restricted tournament selection," in Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Genetic Algorithms (ICGA), Pittsburgh, PA, 1995, pp. 24-31.
- B. Sareni and L. Krahenbuhl, "Fitness sharing and niching methods revisited," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 97-106, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/4235.735432
- H. Jang, R. Choe, and K. R. Ryu, "Deriving a robust policy for container stacking using a noise-tolerant genetic algorithm," Information, vol. 16, no. 8B, pp. 6219- 6242, 2013.
- L. J. Eshelman and J. D. Schaffer, "Real-coded genetic algorithms and interval-schemata," Foundations of Genetic Algorithms, vol. 2, pp. 187-202, 1993.
- R. Hinterding, "Gaussian mutation and self-adaption for numeric genetic algorithms," in Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Perth, Australia, 1995, pp. 384-389.
- R. J. Cameron, C. M. Kudsia, and R. R. Mansour, Microwave Filters for Communication Systems: Fundamentals, Design and Application. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2007.
- D. Deslandes and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 68-70, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/7260.914305
- M. D. Janezic and J. A. Jargon, "Complex permittivity determination from propagation constant measurements," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 76-78, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/75.755052