- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of a Neonatal Nursing Practice Program on Students' Stress, Self-efficacy, and Confidence
- Kim, Yunsoo (Department of Nursing, Catholic Kwandong University) ;
- Park, Horan (College of Nursing, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Hong, Sung Sil (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chung, Hee Jin (College of Nursing, The Catholic University of Korea)
- Received : 2018.06.14
- Accepted : 2018.06.25
- Published : 2018.07.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of a neonatal nursing practice program for nursing students on students' stress, self-efficacy, and confidence. Methods: A 1-group pre- and post- study design was used. The participants consisted of 64 nursing students who were in a pediatric nursing clinical practicum at a nursing college in Seoul from September 2015 to May 2016. The program consisted of 3 stages-orientation, practice, and debriefing-and was conducted for 3 hours during a 2-week period of the pediatric nursing clinical practicum. The dependent variables were neonatal nursing practice stress, self-efficacy, and confidence. Data were analyzed using the paired t-test, the Pearson correlation coefficient, the
- KABoN. Nurses' core competencies and nursing education learning outcomes 2012 [Internet]. Seoul: KABoN; 2012 [cited 2018 June 15]. Available from: http://www.kabone.or.kr/HyAdmin/upload/goodFile/120121127132143.pdf.
- Song KA, Park HJ, Yeom HA, Lee JE, Joo GE, Kim HJ. The development and evaluation of a new educational program, introduction to clinical nursing, for third year nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing. 2012;19(3):322-333. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.322 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.3.322
- Yoo SY, Kim SH, Lee JH. Educational needs in the development of a simulation based program on neonatal emergency care for nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Child Health Nursing. 2012;18(4):170-176. https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.4.170 https://doi.org/10.4094/jkachn.2012.18.4.170
- Parker RA, McNeill JA, Pelayo LW, Goei KA, Howard J, Gunter MD. Pediatric clinical simulation: A pilot project. Journal of Nursing Education. 2011;50(2):105-111. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20101230-05 https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20101230-05
- Kim SG. Effects of a simulation-based high-risk neonatal care education on learning satisfaction, class participation, learning motivation and clinical competency in nursing students. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2015;16(10):6807-6815. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6807 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6807
- Park SN, Kim YS. Stress and satisfaction from simulation-based practice and clinical practice on high-risk newborn nursing. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2015; 21(1):86-94. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.1.86
- Park S, Ji ES. Clinical competence according to experiences on the neonatal nursing care in nursing students and educational needs of the nursing simulation. The Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction. 2016;16(7):97-112.
- Park SH, Ryu SA. Effects of direct practice of newborn health assessment on students' nursing clinical competence and self-efficacy. Child Health Nursing Research. 2016;22(2):117-125. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2016.22.2.117 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2016.22.2.117
- Choi GY. The relationship between perceptions of nursing college students regarding clinical practice environment and related variables. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. 2009;21(1):129-139.
- Lee AK, You HS, Park IH. Affecting factors on stress of clinical practice in nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration. 2015;21(2):154-163. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.154 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.2.154
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review. 1977;84(2):191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Kendall S, Bloomfield L. Developing and validating a tool to measure parenting self-efficacy. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2005; 51(2):174-181. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03479.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03479.x
- Jeffries PR. A framework for designing, implementing, and evaluating: Simulations used as teaching strategies in nursing. Nursing Education Perspectives. 2005;26(2):96-103.
- World Health Organization. WHO recommendations on postnatal care of the mother and newborn [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Oganizaion; 2014 [cited 2018 June 15]. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/97603/9789241506649_eng.pdf;jsessionid=525343D1B10251B4B031381D3C6B4235?sequence=1.
- Judge TA, Locke EA, Durham CC, Kluger AN. Dispositional effects on job and life satisfaction: The role of core evaluations. The Journal of Applied Psychology. 1998;83(1):17-34. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.1.17
- Kim AY. A study on the academic failure - tolerance and its correlates. Journal of Educational Psychology. 1997;11(2):1-19.
- Kim AY, Park IY. Study on the construct of academic self-efficacy and its measurement. The Journal of Educational Research. 2001;39(1):95-123.
- Kwon EM, Shin MS, Kim EJ. The influence of covert narcissism on social phobia- The mediating effects of social self-efficacy. Korean Journal of Psychology. 2009;28(3):627-642.
- Kang HA, Kim A. Development and validation of a social self-efficacy scale for college students. Korean Journal of Educational Psychology. 2013;27(2):263-283.
- Park HJ, Jang IS. Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2010;16(1):14-23. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- Kim KE, Lee BY. The relationship between satisfaction with clinical practice and clinical performance ability for nursing students. The Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2014;14(10):885-896. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.885 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.885
- Whang SJ. The relationship between clinical stress, self-efficacy, and self-esteem of nursing college students. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2006;12(2):205-213.
- Lee M, Ahn Y, Cho I, Sohn M. Effectiveness of simulation integrated with problem based learning on clinical competency and self-efficacy in nursing students. Child Health Nursing Research. 2014; 20(2):123-131. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.123 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2014.20.2.123
- Kim JY, An MS, Park HJ. Effectiveness of infant care competence according to pediatric nursing practice at school. Korean Parent-Child Health Journal. 2012;15(1):14-19.
- Han JJ. Satisfaction of clinical practice and self-efficacy of clinical practice in nursing students [master's thesis]. Seoul: Ewha Womans University; 2012. p. 1-58.
- Kim SO, Kang BH. The influence of nursing students' learning experience, recognition of importance and learning self-efficacy for core fundamental nursing skills on their self-confidence. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2016;17(8):172-182. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.172 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.8.172
- Park YM, Ju HJ. Personality types of nurses and the relation between self-efficacy and clinical performance ability. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2016;14(11):333-345. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.333 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.333