- Volume 28 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Rehabilitation Protocol for High Tibial Osteotomy in Korean Medicine: A Report of 3 Cases
근위 경골 절골술 후 한방 재활치료 프로토콜을 적용한 재활치료의 임상적 효과: 증례 보고
- Geum, Ji-Hye (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Ha, Won-Bae (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Koh, Nak-Yong (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Han (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University)
- 금지혜 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 하원배 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 고낙용 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실) ;
- 이정한 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학교실)
- Received : 2018.06.15
- Accepted : 2018.07.09
- Published : 2018.07.31
In this study, we propose a rehabilitation protocol involving Korean medicine for patients after high tibial osteotomy (HTO) and report its effectiveness. Three patients underwent HTO using the rehabilitation protocol involving Korean medicine. We estimated the outcome evaluating physical examination findings of the knee joint, numeric rating scale, pain disability index, Lysholm knee score, and walking state. After the treatment, we observed that knee movement and muscular strength were improved. In addition, the numeric rating scale, pain disability index, Lysholm knee score, and walking state of patients were improved. Therefore, a rehabilitation protocol involving Korean medicine can be effectively used for patients after HTO. The limitation of this study was the insufficient number of cases and the difficulty of follow-up because of the characteristics of this operation and the long periods of time that are needed for each phase of the protocol. Further studies are needed to design a rehabilitation protocol involving Korean medicine.
Supported by : 원광대학교
- Park YS, Kim BJ, Seo KY. A clinical study of the high tibial osteotomy in osteoarthritic knees with varus deformity. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 1986;21(4):547-53.
- Lee HK, Suk SI, Seong SC, Lee SH, Lee CK, Lee MC, Kim SS. A 5-to 13-year follow-up of high tibial osteotomy. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 1995;30(3):494-501.
- Lee DC, Byun SJ. High tibial osteotomy. Knee Surg Relat Res. 2012;24(2):61-9. https://doi.org/10.5792/ksrr.2012.24.2.61
- Song EK. High tibial osteotomy for osteoarthritis of the knee. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2004;39(1):104-7. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2004.39.1.104
- Shin YS, Lee DH, Lee SH, Kim MJ, Han SB. Basic principles and current trends of medial opening-wedge high tibial osteotomy. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2014;49(2):85-94. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2014.49.2.85
- Kim GW, Song EK. Survival and risck factor analysis of open wedge tibial osteotomy for medial unicompartmental osteoarthritis. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2014;49(6):439-45. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2014.49.6.439
- Cho SH, Hwang SC, Sohn KM, Kin HK. Comparison of closing-wedge and opening-wedge high tibial osteotomies. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2012;47(2):104-10. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2012.47.2.104
- Aalderink KJ, Shaffer M, Amendola A. Rehabilitation following high tibial osteotomy. Clin Sports Med. 2010;29(2):291-301, ix. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csm.2009.12.005
- Birmingham TB, Giffin JR, Chesworth BM, Bryant DM, Litchfield RB, Willits K, Jenkyn TR, Fowler PJ. Medial opening wedge high tibial osteotomy: a prospective cohort study of gait, radiographic, and patient-reported outcomes. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;61(5):648-57. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.24466
- Hwang KS, Jeong HS, Baek JY, Lee SM, Han HC, Ahn HJ, Jeong DH. Study of clinical effects of oak-mushroom herbal-acupuncture on osteoarthritis in knee joint. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society. 2001;18(6):141-50.
- Seo BK, Ryu SR, Kang JW, An KE, Lee SH, Choi DY, Kim KS, Lee DI, Lee YH, Lee JD. Clinical study of the efficacy and safety of Jetongdan on patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. J Korean Oriental Med. 2005;26(2):231-40.
- Park JW, Jeong SH. A clinical case study of osteoarthritis of knee joint treated with traditional Korean medical therepy and core exercise. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. 2013;8(2):113-21.
- Kim CG, Lee JH, Jo DC, Moon SJ, Park TY, Ko YS, Song YS, Lee JH. Korean medical rehabilitation for total knee replacement. J Korean Med Rehabil. 2014;24(1):111-8.
- Takeuchi R, Ishikawa H, Aratake M, Bito H, Saito I, Kumagai K, Akamatsu Y, Saito T. Medial opening wedge high tibial osteotomy with early full weight bearing. Arthroscopy. 2009;25(1):46-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arthro.2008.08.015
- Roe JS, Chae BY. Effect of Chungyeulsaseup-tang on the analgesia, and anti-pyretic and anti-inflammatory action. The Kyung Hee University Oriental Medical Journal. 1984;7(1):381-90.
- Chang TY, Park HS, Shin SH. A bibliographic study on the therapeutic effects of Achyranthis Radix in arthritis. J Int Korean Med. 2000;21(5):697-704.
- Choi CH, Kim SJ, Shin JC, Wi TS, Kim JH, Choi JB, Ki m YE, Na CS. Clinical study of Dokhwalkigisaengtanggagambang(DGG) and Gamisayuktanggagambang(GSG) for improving lumbago and knee joint pain. Kor J Herb ol. 2013;28(2):75-82.
- Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. Chuna manual medicine. 2nd ed. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. 2015:240.
- Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. Chuna manual medicine. 2.5th ed. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna Manual Medicine for Spine and Nerves. 2017:239-40, 249-50, 308-10.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 4th ed. Paju:Koonja Publishing. 2015:3, 404-5, 413-6.
- Magee DJ, Sueki D. Orthopedic physical assessment atlas and video: selected special tests and movements. Seoul:Elsevier Korea. 2012:350.
- Pollard CA. Preliminary validity study of the pain disability index. Percept Mot Skills. 1984;59(3):974. https://doi.org/10.2466/pms.19220.127.116.114
- Bengtsson J, Mollborg J, Werner S. A study for testing the sensitivity and reliability of the Lysholm knee scoring scale. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1996;4(1):27-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01565994
- Tegner Y, Lysholm J. Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985;(198):43-9.
- National Health Insurance Service. 17 Health insurance review medical expenses 69.667 trillion won ... 7.68% year-on-year increase [Internet] 2018 Mar 21 [cited 2018 May 23]. Available from: URL: https://www.nhis.or.kr/bbs7/boards/B0039/25735.
- Aglietti P, Buzzi R, Vena LM, Baldini A, Mondaini A. High tibial valgus osteotomy for medial gonarthrosis:a 10- to 21- year study. J Knee Surg. 2003;16(1):21-6.
- Benzakour T, Hefti A, Lemseffer M, El Ahmadi JD, Bouyarmane H, Benzakour A. High tibial osteotomy for medial osteoarthritis of the knee: 15 years follow-up. Int Orthop. 2010;34(2):209-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00264-009-0937-4
- Sim JA, Kwak JH, Yang SH, Choi ES, Lee BK. Effect of weight bearing on the alignment after open wedge high tibial osteotomy. Kmee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010;18(7):874-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-009-1000-0
- Bonnin M, Chambat P. Current status of valgus angle, tibial head closing wedge osteotomy in media gonarthrosis. Orthopade. 2004;33(2):135-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00132-003-0586-z
- Fujisawa Y, Masuhara K, Shiomi S. The effect of high tibial osteotomy on osteoarthritis of the knee. An arthroscopic study of 54 knee joints. Orthop Clin North Am. 1979;10(3):585-608.
- Giagounidis EM, Sell S. High tibial osteotomy: factors influencing the duration of satisfactory function. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 1999;119(7-8):445-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004020050018
- Coventry MB, Osteotomy of the upper portion of the tibia for degenerative arthritis of the knee. A preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1965;47:984-90. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-196547050-00008
- Flecher X, Parratte S, Aubaniac JM, Argenson JN. A 12-28-year followup study of closing wedge high tibial osteotomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;452:91-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000229362.12244.f6
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics. 7th ed. Seoul:ChoiSin medical Publishing Co. 2013:1014-7.
- Keene JS, Dyreby JR Jr. High tibial osteotomy in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. The role of preoperative arthroscopy. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1983;65(1):36-42. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198365010-00006
- Coventry MB. Osteotomy about the knee for degenerative and rheumatoid arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1973;55(1):23-48. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197355010-00002
- Insall JN, Joseph DM, Msika C. High tibial osteotomy for varus gonarthritis. A long-term follow-up study. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1984;66(7):1040-8. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-198466070-00010
- Noyes FR, Mayfield W, Barber-Westin SD, Albright JC, Heckmann TP. Opening wedge high tibial osteotomy: an operative technique and rehabilitation program to decrease complications and promote early union and function. Am J Sports Med. 2006;34(8):1262-73. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505286144
- Brosset T, Pasquier G, Migaud H, Gougeon F. Opening wedge high tibial osteotomy performed without filling the defect but with locking plate fixation (TomoFix(TM)) and early weight bearing: prospective evaluation of bone union, precision and maintenance of correction in 51 cases. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2011;97(7):705-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otsr.2011.06.011