- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Meta Analysis of the Effects of Physical Activity Programs in the Elderly with Disabilities
장애노인 신체활동 프로그램 효과에 대한 메타분석
- Kim, Kyungjin (Korea Nazarene University Rehabilitation Sport Laboratory)
- 김경진 (나사렛대학교 재활스포츠연구소)
- Received : 2018.05.23
- Accepted : 2018.07.20
- Published : 2018.07.28
The study conducted a meta analysis to identify the effects of physical activity programs for the elderly with disabilities. The 14 out of 177 studies, fulfilled the process and requirement, were selected for the Hedges'g, funnel plot, forest plot, Egger's regression test, trim-and-fill, fail-safe N. There were three conclusions based on the results. First, the physical activity was effective for the elderly with disabilities and showed good effects on the psychomotor, cognitive, and affective domains. Second, the physical activity programs of fundamental exercise skill, game and sport, and fitness exercise showed positive effects on the psychomotor, cognitive, and affective domains in the elderly with disabilities. Third, the fundamental exercise skill for the psychomotor domain, the game and sport for the cognitive domain, and the fitness exercise for the affective domain were the most effective for the elderly with disabilities.
Elderly with disabilities;physical activity program;effects of physical activity;meta analysis
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2017). Health and welfare statistics linkage. Sejong : Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2016). Disability and Health Statistical. Sejong : Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- Y. G. Kim. (2014). A Study on the Program of Occupational Therapy for the Elder with Disability. Korean Society of Cognitive Rehabilitation, 3(1), 41-58.
- Y. R. Kim, H. M. Gu & S. S. Cho. (2004). A Study on Current Status of Physical Activity and Plan for Improving Sport Participation of the Aged. Korean Journal of Sport Science, 15(4), 84-98.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2014). Survey on Physical Condition of the Disabled. Sejong : Ministry of Health and Welfare.
- D. H. Kang, H. J. Kim, D. H. Yoon, J. S. Kim & W. Song. (2014). Effects of 12 Weeks High-Speed Elastic Band Training on Cognitive Function, Physical Performance and Muscle Strength in Older Women with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Korean Journal of Health Promotion, 14(1), 26-32. https://doi.org/10.15384/kjhp.2014.14.1.26
- K. A. Kim & O. S. Kim. (2015). The Effects of Exercise-Cognitive Combined Dual-Task Program on Cognitive Function and Depression in Elderly with Mild Cognitive Impairment. Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, 27(6), 707-717. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.6.707
- S. J. Kim. (2010). The Effects of Ball Exercise on the Blood Lipid, Stress Hormones and Mental Health among Aged Persons with Physical Disabilities Elderly. Korean Journal of Physical and Multiple Disabilities, 53(4), 105-125.
- S. M. Kim. (2011). A Study on the Change of ADL in the Elderly Disability Women after the Self Rehabilitation Exercise at Bedside. The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, 5(4), 127-136. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.4.127
- H. C. Kim & Y. M. Lee. (2017). The Effect of a 12 Week-Yoga Exercise on Body Composition, Flexibility and Gloom in the visually impaired Elderly. Journal of Korea Convergence Society, 8(3), 253-263. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.3.253
- H. S. Shin. (2011). The Effect of Swiss Ball Exercise on Lower Extremity Function of Elderly Women with Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, 6(2), 119-126.
- T. Y. Sim. (2017). The Effects of Taekwondo Poomsae Training on Cognitive Ability in Aged Women with Physical Disability. Korean Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 26(1), 33-45.
- B. J. Oh, B. B. Hwang & S. D. Roh. (2015). Effects Influence of 12 Week-Elastic Band Exercise in Body Composition, Bone Density, Muscular Strength, and Flexibility of Disabled Elderly with Brain Lesion. Korean Journal of Sports Science, 24(5), 1489-1499.
- B. H. Lee, J. S. Park & N. R. Kim. (2011). The Effect of Physical Activity Program on Cognitive Function, Physical Performance, Gait, Quality of Life and Depression in the Elderly with Dementia. Journal of Special Education & Rehabilitation Science, 50(2), 307-328.
- S. A. Lee. (2010). An Effect of Long-Term Park Golf Exercise of the Aged with Physical Disabilities on Stress Hormone and Mental Health. Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 14(2), 23-40.
- S. E. Lee & J. H. Kwon. (2012). Effect of Combined Exercise Program on Metabolic Syndrome Risk Factors and Bone Mineral Density in Elderly with Mild Cognitive Impairment. Korean Journal of Sports Science, 21(3), 913-922.
- Y. J. Lee & S. M. Kim. (2003). The Effect of Physical Activity Program on Cognitive and ADL of Demented Elderly. Journal of the Korea Gerontological Society, 23(4), 17-31.
- S. M. Jung. (2012). The Effects of Trunk Exercises on the Balancing Ability of Elderly Hansen's Disease Patients with Lower Extremity Dysfunction. Journal of the Korean Soceity of Physical Medicine, 7(1), 77-85. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2012.7.1.077
- J. I. Choi & B. Y. Kim. (2009). Effects of 12 Weeks Aquatic Exercise on the Body Composition, Muscle Power, Flexibility and Bone Mineral Density in Hemiplegia Elderly. Korean Journal of Academy of Kinesiology, 11(3), 85-94.
- Rimmer, J. H. (2005). Exercise and Physical Activity in Persons Aging with a Physical Disability. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinics of North America, 16(1), 41-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmr.2004.06.013
- de Vries, N., van Ravensberg, C., Hobbelen, J., Olde Rikkert, M., Staal, J., & Nijhuis-van der Sanden, M. (2012). Effects of Physical Exercise Therapy on Mobility, Physical Functioning, Physical Activity and Quality of Life in Community-Dwelling Older Adults with Impaired Mobility, Physical Disability and/or Multi-morbidity: A Meta-Analysis. Ageing Research Reviews, 11(1), 136-149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arr.2011.11.002
- S. D. Hwang. (2015). Meta-Analysis using R. Seoul : Hakjisa.
- Ulrich, D. A., & Sanford, C. B. (2000). Test of Gross Motor Development Examiner's Manual (2nd ed.) Austin, TX: Pro-ed.
- U. S. Kim. (2000). Theory and Practice of Physical Education Class for Children with Disabilities. Seoul : Rainbow History.
- Rosenthal, R. (1979). The file drawer problem and tolerance for null results. Psychological Bulletin, 86, 638-641. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.86.3.638
- Cohen, J. (1988) Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences (2nd ed.). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.