- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on Factors to Periodontal Diseases in Patients with Metabolic Syndrome in Health Examination Examinees
일부 건강검진 수검자에서 대사증후군 대상자의 치주질환 발생에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Lee, Jae-Sung (Korea Association of Health Promotion) ;
- Kang, Hyun-Kyung (Department of Dental Hygiene, Silla University)
- Received : 2018.03.08
- Accepted : 2018.07.20
- Published : 2018.07.28
The purpose of this study was to identify effective ways to prevent periodontal disease in adults with risk factors for metabolic syndrome based on health examination examinees of some area. The study participants included 9,902 subjects who had received health checks at the Korea Association of Health Promotion from January 1 to December 31, 2014. All data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, chi-square test, logistic regression using IBM SPSS 24.0 Ver. As a result, it was found that regular oral examination (0.579), use of oral products (0.499), and oral health education (0.358) are most likely to affect the incidence of periodontal diseases among those affected by metabolic syndrome. The odds ratio of periodontal disease increased 1.79 times without regular oral examination, 1.61 times without oral products, and 1.43 times without oral health education (p<0.001). In conclusion, the results suggest that people with metabolic syndrome have a high risk of periodontal disease and that regular checkups, use of oral products, and oral health education are very important to prevent periodontal disease.
- S. J. Lee, Y. M. Hong, J. H. Back & Y. S. Nam. (2009). The relationship between metabolic syndrome and periodontal disease except patients with hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus in Korea. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 33(3), 451-460.
- K. G. Alberti, Zimmet P & Shaw J. (2005). The metabolic syndrome-a new worldwide definition. The Lancet. 366(9491), 1059-1062. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67402-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67402-8
- R. B. Ervin. (2009). Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among adults 20 years of age and over, by sex, age, race and ethnicity, and body mass index: United states, 2003-2006. National Health Statistics Reports. 13, 1-8.
- J. O. Jung. (2012). Effects of Metabolic Syndrome on Periodontal diseases in Korean Adults. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 12(3), 245-252.
- H. S. Park et al. (2003). Prevalence and Associated Factors of Metabolic Syndrome among Adults in Primary Care. Journal of Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome, 12(2), 108-123.
- J. A. Seo. (2008). Metabolic Syndrome and Associated Risk Factors Among the Clients of a Comprehensive Medical Examination Center. Journal of East-West Nursing Research, 14(2), 47-53.
- M. K. Seong, H. S. Kwun, S. R. Moon & H. G. Ryu. (2015). Evaluation of the Effect of Operation of Toothbrushing Room in between Two Elementary Schools. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 15(1), 24-31. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.1.24
- Y. H. Choi, I. Suh, J. M. Nam, D. K. Oh, H. K. Son & H. K. Kwon. (2002). Associations of missing teeth with medical status. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 26(2), 169-179.
- L. Nibali et al. (2013). Association between metabolic syndrome and periodontitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology &Metabolism, 98(3), 913-920. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-3552 https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-3552
- H. D. Kim, D. M. Paik. D. H. Kho. D & I. Paik. (2006). Influence of cardiovascular related disease on periodontitis. Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 30(1), 46-55.
- H. J. Kang. (2015). A Study on Periodontal Disease and Tooth Loss in Metabolic Syndrome Patient. Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, 15(4), 445-456. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.4.445
- S. M. Grundy. (2005). Metabolic syndrome scientific statement by the american heart association and the national heart, lung, and blood institute. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 25(11), 2243-2244. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.0000189155.75833.c7 https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.0000189155.75833.c7
- S. Y. Lee et al. (2006). Cut-off Points of Waist Circumference for Defining Abdominal Obesity in the Korean Population. Journal of Obesity & Metabolic Syndrome, 15(1), 1-9.
- S. J. Lee, J. Y. Park, J. M. Nam & S. H. Jee. (2008). The Prevalence Estimation of Metabolic Syndrome and It's Related Factors Based on Data from General Health Medical Examination: A Multi-Center Study. Journal of The Korea Socity of Health Informatics and Statistics, 33(1), 119-133.
- H. Moon. (2014). Korea health statistics 2013: Korea national health and nutrition examination survey (KNHANES VI-1). Sejong, South Korea : Ministry of Health and Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- M. J. Kim. (2016). The Convergence correlational Study on Office Workers' Health Related Behaviors and Prevalence Rates of Metabolic Syndrome. Journal of The Korea Convergence Society, 7(3), 99-109. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.3.099
- H. Loe. (1993). Periodontal disease: The sixth complication of diabetes mellitus. Am Diabetes Assoc. 16(1), 329-334. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.16.1.329
- T. Saito et al. (2005). Relationship between obesity, glucose tolerance, and periodontal disease in japanese women: The hisayama study. Journal of Periodontal Research, 40(4), 346-353. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.2005.00813.x
- I. Y. Ku & H. G. Kim. (2012). The relationship between workers' health behaviorals, oral health behaviorals and metabolic syndrome risk factors periodontal disease status. Journal of Korean society of Dental Hygiene, 12(3), 597-609. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.3.597
- H. J. Baek, Y. H. Choi, S. G. Lee & K. B. Song (2010). The association of metabolic syndrome and periodontitis in Korean adult population Journal of Korean Academy of Oral Health, 34(3), 338-345.
- L. Nibali, F. D'aiuto, G, Griffiths. K, Patel. J, Suvan & M. S. Tonetti. (2007). Severe periodontitis is associated with systemic inflammation and a dysmetabolic status: A case-control study. Journal of Clinical Periodontology, 34(11), 931-937. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2007.01133.x