- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Stabilizing Reversal Technique of Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation and Taping Convergence on Wrist Pain and Grip Strength
고유수용성신경근촉진법의 안정적 반전기법과 테이핑 융합이 손목통증과 악력에 미치는 영향
- Kim, Beom-Ryong (Sahmyook University Graduate School) ;
- Yi, Dong-Hyun (Sahmyook University Graduate School) ;
- Yim, JongEun (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2018.05.16
- Accepted : 2018.07.20
- Published : 2018.07.28
This study investigated the effect of wrist taping (WT) after application of stabilizing reversal technique (SRT) of proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF) on pain and grip strength (GS) in patients with wrist pain (WP). Twenty patients with WP were randomly assigned to an experimental group (n=10) that received WT after application of SRT, and a control group (n=10) that received WT after application of stretching. The total intervention time consisted of a maximum of 10 minutes including breaks, and was performed 5 times a week for 2 weeks. Pain reduction was measured using a visual analogue scale. GS was measured using a dynamometer. Within group changes in pain and GS were significant in both experimental and control groups (p<0.01). Between group changes in pain and GS were greater in the experimental group than in the control group (p<0.01). This findings indicate that SRT of PNF and WT convergence can be an effective intervention for patients with WP. Continued development of convergence interventions for patients with WP various conditions in practice, is suggested.
Supported by : Sahmyook University
- D. H. Lee, B. Kang, S. Choi, T. Kim, S. H. Jang, K. H. Lee & S. H. Han. (2015). Change in musculoskeletal pain in patients with work-related musculoskeletal disorder after tailored rehabilitation education: A one-year follow-up survey. Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine, 39(5), 726-734. DOI : 10.5535/arm.2015.39.5.726 https://doi.org/10.5535/arm.2015.39.5.726
- M. Pitner. (1990). Pathophysiology of overuse injuries in the hand and wrist. Hand Clinics, 6(3), 355-364.
- S. M. Fulcher, T. R. Kiefhaber & P. J. Stern. (1998). Upper-extremity tendinitis and overuse syndromes in the athlete. Clinics in Sports Medicine, 17(3), 433-448. DOI : 10.1016/s0278-5919(05)70095-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0278-5919(05)70095-8
- A. C. Rettig. (2003). Athletic injuries of the wrist and hand. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 31(6), 1038-1048. DOI : 10.1097/bco.0b013e3282f5557e https://doi.org/10.1097/bco.0b013e3282f5557e
- A. H. Shariff, J. George & A. A. Ramlan. (2009). Musculoskeletal injuries among Malaysian badminton players. Singapore Medical Journal, 50(11), 1095-1097.
- E. E. Inal, K. Demirci, A. Cetinturk, M. Akgonul & S. Savas. (2015). Effects of smartphone overuse on hand function, pinch strength, and the median nerve. Muscle & Nerve, 52(2), 183-188. DOI : 10.1002/mus.24695 https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.24695
- S. Michlovitz, L. Hun, G. N. Erasala, D. A. Hengehold & K. W. Weingand. (2004). Continuous low-level heat wrap therapy is effective for treating wrist pain. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 85(9), 1409-1416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.10.016
- S. D. Choung, O. Y. Kwon, K. N. Park, S. H. Kim & H. S. Cynn. (2013). Short-term effects of self-mobilization with a strap on pain and range of motion of the wrist joint in patients with dorsal wrist pain when weight bearing through the hand: a case series. Manual Therapy, 18(6), 568-572. DOI : 10.1016/j.math.2013.06.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2013.06.001
- O. L. Hincapie, J. S. Elkins & L. Vasquez-Welsh. (2016). Proprioception retraining for a patient with chronic wrist pain secondary to ligament injury with no structural instability. Journal of Hand Therapy, 29(2), 183-190. DOI : 10.1016/j.jht.2016.03.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2016.03.008
- D. A. Klein, W. J. Stone, W. T. Phillips, J. Gangi & S. Hartman. (2002). PNF training and physical function in assisted-living older adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 10(4), 476-488. DOI : 10.1123/japa.10.4.476 https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.10.4.476
- K. J. Hill, K. P. Robinson, J. W. Cuchna & M. C. Hoch. (2016). Immediate effects of PNF stretching programs compared to passive stretching programs for hamstring flexibility: a critically appraised topic. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 26(6), 567-572. DOI : 10.1123/jsr.2016-0003 https://doi.org/10.1123/jsr.2016-0003
- T. Akbulut & A. Agopyan. (2015). Effects of an eight-week proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching program on kicking speed and range of motion in young male soccer players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 29(12), 3412-3423. DOI : 10.1519/jsc.0000000000001015 https://doi.org/10.1519/jsc.0000000000001015
- J. Kim, J. Park & W. Choi. (2011). The effects of proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation integrative pattern with elastic band training and weight training on isokinetic strength and balance in softball players. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 13(1), 243-249.
- H. S. Rhyu, S. H. Kim & H. S. Park. (2015). The effects of band exercise using proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation on muscular strength in lower extremity. Journal of Exercise Rehabilitation, 11(1), 36-40. DOI : 10.12965/jer.150189 https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.150189
- N. Alaca, A. Atalay & Z. Guven. (2015). Comparison of the long-term effectiveness of progressive neuromuscular facilitation and continuous passive motion therapies after total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 27(11), 3377-80. DOI : 10.1589/jpts.27.3377 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.3377
- N. Kofotolis & E. Kellis. (2006). Effects of two 4-week proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation programs on muscle endurance, flexibility, and functional performance in women with chronic low back pain. Physical Therapy, 86(7), 1001-1012. DOI : 10.1093/ptj/86.7.1001 https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/86.7.1001
- B. R. Kim & H. J. Lee. (2017). Effects of proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation-based abdominal muscle strengthening training on pulmonary function, pain, and functional disability index in chronic low back pain patients. Journal of Exercise Rehabilitation, 13(4), 486-490. DOI : 10.12965/jer.1735030.515 https://doi.org/10.12965/jer.1735030.515
- S. Adler, D. Beckers & M. Buck. (2007). PNF in practice: an illustrated guide. Verlag Berlin Heidelberg : Springer.
- H. Y. Cho, E. H. Kim, J. Kim & Y. W. Yoon. (2015). Kinesio taping improves pain, range of motion, and proprioception in older patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 94(3), 192-200. DOI : 10.1097/phm.0000000000000148 https://doi.org/10.1097/phm.0000000000000148
- M. H. Lee, E. C. Kim, S. Y. Lee & R. J. Park. (2010). The effects of taping on metacarpophalangeal disorders of the thumb. Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy, 22(1), 33-38.
- J. H. Park & K. Kim. (2012). Initial effects of the non-elastic taping technique on grip strength and EMG in female with lateral epicondylalgia. Journal of The Korean Society of Physical Medicine, 7(4), 525-533. DOI : 10.13066/kspm.2012.7.4.525 https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2012.7.4.525
- A. Shamsoddini & M. T. Hollisaz. (2013). Effects of taping on pain, grip strength and wrist extension force in patients with tennis elbow. Trauma Monthly, 18(2), 71-74. DOI : 10.5812/traumamon.12450 https://doi.org/10.5812/traumamon.12450
- J. Y. Kim & S. Y. Kim. (2016). Effects of kinesio tape compared with non-elastic tape on hand grip strength. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 28(5), 1565-1568. DOI : 10.1589/jpts.28.1565 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.28.1565
- D. T. Nguyen, F. C. McCue & S. E. Urch. (1998). Evaluation of the injured wrist on the field and in the office. Clinics in Sports Medicine, 17(3), 421-432. DOI : 10.1016/s0278-5919(05)70094-6 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0278-5919(05)70094-6
- T. Skirven. (1996). Clinical examination of the wrist. Journal of Hand Therapy, 9(2), 96-107. DOI : 10.1016/s0894-1130(96)80068-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0894-1130(96)80068-8
- B. S. Sindhu, O. Shechtman & L. Tuckey. (2011). Validity, reliability, and responsiveness of a digital version of the visual analog scale. Journal of Hand Therapy, 24(4), 356-364. DOI : 10.1016/j.jht.2011.06.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2011.06.003
- E. E. Fess & C. C. Moran. (1981). linical Assessment Recommendations. Indianapolis : American Society of Hand Therapists. DOI : 10.1016/s0363-5023(81)80089-5 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0363-5023(81)80089-5
- C. Savva, G. Giakas, M. Efstathiou & C. Karagiannis. (2014). Test-retest reliability of handgrip strength measurement using a hydraulic hand dynamometer in patients with cervical radiculopathy. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics, 37(3), 206-210. DOI : 10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.02.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.02.001
- C. H. Park, Y. S. Kwak & T. U. Kim. (2010). Triathlon-related overuse injury and medical issues. Journal of Life Sciences, 20(2), 314-320. DOI : 10.5352/jls.2010.20.2.314 https://doi.org/10.5352/jls.2010.20.2.314
- J. W. Shin, S. M. Lee & J. J. Kim. (2015). The effects of stabilizing reversal and rhythmic stabilization in proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation techniques on the static balance in normal female adult. PNF and Movement, 13(3), 119-125.
- Y. H. Kim & J. H. Jung. (2017). Effects of the PNF stabilization technique for the hip joint and the bridging exercise on the trunk stabilizer muscles in healthy adults. PNF and Movement, 15(1), 51-56. https://doi.org/10.21598/JKPNFA.2017.15.1.51
- H. L. Ro. (2010). Effects of taping therapy and passive range of motion exercises on shoulder joint, hand dexterity in the elderly. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, 11(7), 2468-2474. DOI : 10.5762/kais.2010.11.7.2468 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2010.11.7.2468
- M. A. Nakajima & C. Baldridge. (2013). The effect of kinesio(R) tape on vertical jump and dynamic postural control. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy, 8(4), 393-406.
- E. Y. Kim, S. Y. Ma & W. T. Gong. (2008). The effects of taping, amct, combination treatment on the pain and grip strength in patient with lateral epicondylitis. Journal of The Korean Society of Physical Medicine, 3(2), 103-112.
- T. V. Lemos, K. C. Pereira, C. C. Protássio, L. B. Lucas & J. P. C. Matheus. (2015). The effect of kinesio taping on handgrip strength. Journal of Physical Therapy Science, 27(3), 567-570. DOI : 10.1589/jpts.27.567 https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.567