- Volume 9 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Job Stress, Meaning of Work, and Calling on Job Embeddedness of Nurses in General Hospitals
임상간호사의 직무스트레스, 일의 의미, 소명의식이 직무배태성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2018.05.04
- Accepted : 2018.07.20
- Published : 2018.07.28
This study examined convergence factors influencing the job embeddedness of nurses in general hospitals. Data were collected using a structured questionnaire. Data were analyzed using t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient, and multiple regression. The job embeddedness in participants showed a significant correlation between job stress (r=-.50, p<.001), meaning of work (r=.70, p<.001), and calling (r=.58, p<.001). The significant factors influencing the job embeddedness were meaning of work (
Nurse;Job Stress;Job Embeddedness;Meaning of Work;Calling
- I. S. Song. (2008). Job Stress, Personality, Job Satisfaction and Health Status of Clinical Nurses. Master's thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- H. S. Yoon. (2007). Effects of Job Stress Contents and Psychosocial Factors on Mental Health Status among University Hospital Nurses in Korea. Doctoral dissertation. Chungnam National University, Daejeon.
- S. H. Yoon. (2004). The effects of organizational managerial characteristics and job characteristics on job stress and job effectiveness: A survey on clinical nurses: A survey on clinical nurses. Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 17(3), 451-466.
- S. Y. Kim & S. H. Back. (2016). The influence of job characteristics and job stress on children's hospital nurses turnover intention. Journal of Korea Contents association, 16(4), 100-113. DOI: 10.5392/jkca.2016.16.04.100 https://doi.org/10.5392/jkca.2016.16.04.100
- S. Y. Cho & M. H. Sung. (2012). Factors influencing turnover intention in emergency department nurses. Journal of Korea academy of fundamentals of nursing, 19(4), 503-510. DOI: 10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.4.503 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2012.19.4.503
- G. S. Yoon & S. Y. Kim. (2010). Influences of job stress and burnout on turnover intention of nurses. Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 16(4), 507-516. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2010.16.4.507
- M. J. Song & S. Y. Choi. (2017). A convergence study about influences of emotional intelligence and job embeddedness on turnover intention in general hospital nurses. Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, 8(2), 83-89. DOI: 10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.083 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.2.083
- J. K. Kim, M. J. Kim, S. Y. Kim, M. Yu & K. A. Lee. (2014). Effects of general hospital nurses' work environment on job embeddedness and burnout. Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 20(1), 69-81. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.69 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.69
- Y. S. Kim & S. Y. Ryu. (2016). Influence of job embeddedness factors on turnover intention of nurses in small and medium sized general hospitals. Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 22(2), 158-166. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.158 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.2.158
- T. R. Mitchell, B. C. Holtom, T. W. Lee, C. J. Sablynski & M. Erez. (2001). Why people stay: Using job embeddedness to predict voluntary turnover. Academy of Management Journal, 44(6), 1102-1121. DOI: 10.2307/3069391 https://doi.org/10.2307/3069391
- Y. M. Kim & Y. S. Kang. (2013). The relationship among career plateau, self-efficacy, job embeddedness and turnover intention of nurses in small and medium sized hospitals. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 14(10), 5078-5090. DOI: 10.5762/kais.2013.14.10.5078 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2013.14.10.5078
- X. Zhao et al. (2013). The impact of quality of work life on job embeddedness and affective commitment and their co-effect on turnover intention of nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 22(5), 780-788. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04198. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2012.04198
- J. H. Jeon & Y. H. Yom. (2014). Roles of empowerment and emotional intelligence in the relationship between job embeddedness and turnover intention among general hospital nurses. Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 20(3), 302-312. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.302 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.3.302
- J. S. Cho. (2015). Influence of Job Embeddedness and Organizational Commitment on Organizational Citizenship Behavior in General Hospital Nurse. Master's thesis. Korea University, Seoul.
- M. J. Song. (2016). The Influence of Emotional Intelligence and Job Embeddedness on the Turnover Intention of General Hospital Nurses. Master's thesis. Gyeongsang National University, Jinju.
- M. J. Yoo & J. K. Kim. (2016). A structural model of hospital nurses' turnover intention: focusing on organizational characteristics, job satisfaction, and job embeddedness. Journal of Korean academy of nursing administration, 22(3), 292-302. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.292 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.3.292
- M. J. Kim, J. W. Lee & J. S. Park. (2017). Effects of nurses practice environment and job embeddedness on turnover intention in medium-small sized hospital. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 18(1), 222-230 DOI: 10.5762/kais.2017.18.1.222 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2017.18.1.222
- S. R. Kang. (2010). The experiences of job stress on head nurses in general hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 37(40), 501-509.
- S. J. Kim, S. Y. Park & D. H. Lee. (2014). The effect of hospital employees' job stress factors on the turnover intention: Focused on the Daejeon metropolitan city. Journal of Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, 37(2), 35-42. DOI: 10.11627/jkise.2014.37.2.35 https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2014.37.2.35
- Y. M. Kim. (2016). Controlling effect of gratitude of disposition and perceiving a calling within the relationship between secondary school teachers' job stress and psychological burn out. Master's thesis. Ewha University, Seoul.
- M. J. Kim & S. Kim. (2016). Influences of calling, work value, and organizational commitment on turnover intention in nurses employed at university hospitals in a region. Journal of the Korean Society of Health Service Management, 10(1), 67-77. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.1.067
- H. W. Kim, J. E. Yoo & C. H. Woo. (2017). Effect of calling, meaning of work, job stress, and stress coping on organizational commitment among career soldiers. Korean Journal of Stress Research, 25(1), 30-36. DOI: 10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.1.30 https://doi.org/10.17547/kjsr.2017.25.1.30
- R. N. Bellah, R. Madsen, W. M. Sullivan, A. Swidler & S. M. Tipton. (1985). Habits of the heart. New York: Harper & Row.
- A. Wrzesniewski, C. McCauley, P. Rozin, B. Schwartz. (1997). Jobs, careers, and callings: People's relations to their work. Journal of Research in Personality, 31(1), 21-33. DOI: 10.1006/jrpe.1997.2162 https://doi.org/10.1006/jrpe.1997.2162
- E. K. Lee. (2011). A study on the perception of youth work as a vocation and attendant levels of job satisfaction. Journal of Studies on Korean Youth, 22(1), 115-140.
- S. J. Kim. (2014). A Validation Study of the Korean Version of the Working as Meaning Inventory with a Korean Worker Sample. Master's thesis. Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- J. Y. Choi. (2015). The Influence of Employees' meaning of Work on Life Satisfaction: Mediating Effects of Basic Psychological Needs. Master's thesis. Catholic University, Seoul.
- S. Susan & H. Nicola. (2006). The meaning of work: The challenge of regaining employee engagement and reducing cynicism. Human Resource Management Journal , 16, 199-208.
- J. Lee & S. Y. Seok. (2014). The relation between employees' job burnout and job satisfaction: Moderating effects of meaning of work and working environments. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 26(4), 1109-1129.
- E. Locke. (1976). The nature and causes of job satisfaction, Chicago: Rand McNally.
- J. R. Rizzo, R. J. House & S. I. Lirtzman. (1970). Role conflict and ambiguity in complex organizations. Journal of Administrative Science Quarterly, 15(1), 150-160. DOI: 10.2307/2391486 https://doi.org/10.2307/2391486
- J. L. Price & C. W. Mueller. (1986). Absenteeism and turnover of hospital employees. CA: JAI Press.
- B. C. Holtom & B. S. O'Neill. (2004). Job embeddedness: A theoretical foundation for developing a comprehensive nurse retention plan. Journal of Nursing Administration , 34(5), 216-227. DOI: 10.1097/00005110-200405000-00005 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200405000-00005
- J. H. Kim. (2010). The Effects of Job Embeddedness on Turnover Intention and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in Hospital Employee: Focusing on Moderating Effect of Personality Traits. Master's thesis. Kyungsung University, Pusan.
- M. F. Steger, B. J. Dik & R. D. Duffy. (2012). Measuring meaningful work: The work as meaning inventory (WAMI). Journal of Career Assessment, 20(3), 322-337. DOI: 10.1177/1069072711436160 https://doi.org/10.1177/1069072711436160
- B. J. Dik & R. D. Duffy. (2009). Calling and vocation at work definitions and prospects for research and practice. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 37(3), 424-450. DOI: 10.1177/0011000008316430 https://doi.org/10.1177/0011000008316430
- B. J. Dik, B. M. Eldrige & M. F. Steger. (2008). Career development strivings: Assessing goals and motivation in career decision-making and planning. Journal of Career Development, 35(1), 23-41. DOI: 10.1177/0894845308317934 https://doi.org/10.1177/0894845308317934
- Y. R. Shim & S. K. Yoo. (2012). Development and validation of the korean version of the calling and vocation questionnaire(CVQ-K). Korean journal of counseling and psychotherapy, 24(4), 847-872. DOI: 10.1037/e711042011-001 https://doi.org/10.1037/e711042011-001
- H. L. Park. (2010). Factors associated with Job Satisfaction of New Nurse. Master's thesis. Sungshin Women' University, Seoul.
- J. H. Kim & H. S. Jo. (2013). A comparative study on job stress and satisfaction between ward nurses and outpatient nurses. Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, 22(2), 3-92. DOI: 10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.83 https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2013.22.2.83
- A. S. Kim. (2017). Nursing Environment, Job Stress, and Turnover Intention of Pediatric Ward Nurses and General Ward Nurses. Master's thesis. Nambu University, Kwangju.
- Y. H. Jeong, C. S. Lee, H. N. Choi & J. Y. Park. (2016). Emotional labor, job satisfaction and turnover intention of nurses in the regional general hospital. Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(1), 708-719. DOI: http://uci.or.kr/G704-001792.2009.15.1.003 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.01.708
- T. H. Lee, K. H. Kang, Y. K. Ko, S, H, Jo & E. Y. Kim. (2014). Issues and challenges of nurse workforce policy: A critical review and implication. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 20(1), 106-116. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.106 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.106
- H. W. Choi. (2016). The Effects of Nursing Practice Environment and Psychological Capital on Job Embeddedness among Clinical Nurses. Master's thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Y. S. Hyun. (2017). Factors Affecting Clinical Nurses' job Embeddedness. Master's thesis. Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- K. H. Kang & Y. J. Lim. (2016). Influence of professionalism, role conflict and work environment in clinical nurses with expanded role on job enbeddedness. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 22(5), 424-436. DOI: 10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.424 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.5.424
- J. Y. Yoo, J. Y. Park & J. H. Woo. (2015). Career Attitude Maturity, Calling, and Work as Meaning Affecting Student Adjustment to College among Health College Students. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 21(5), 490-499.
- J. O. Park. (2015). The Effects of Advanced Beginner-stage Nurses' sense of Calling, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment on Retention Intention. Master's thesis. Kosin University, Pusan.
- C. H. Yoon. (2017). A Study on Factors Influencing Job Stress and Turnover Intention for Medical Workforce(doctors & nurses) in Medical Institution: Focusing on the Moderating Effect of Calling. Doctoral dissertation. Kyunghee University, Seoul.
- H. Y. Kim. (2016). Burnout and Meaning of Work Among Emergency Department Nurses Concerning about Alcohol Intoxicated Violence. Master's thesis. Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- H. K. Sim. (2016). Work Experience and Its Meaning among Adults Job Seeking. Master's thesis. Ajou University, Seoul.