- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Assessment of dynamic crushing and energy absorption characteristics of thin-walled cylinders due to axial and oblique impact load
- Baaskaran, N. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College) ;
- Ponappa, K. (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kongu Engineering College) ;
- Shankar, S. (Department of Mechatronics Engineering, Kongu Engineering College)
- Received : 2017.07.14
- Accepted : 2018.05.10
- Published : 2018.07.25
Reliable and accurate method of computationally aided design processes of advanced thin walled structures in automotive industries are much essential for the efficient usage of smart materials, that possess higher energy absorption in dynamic compression loading. In this paper, most versatile components i.e., thin walled crash tubes with different geometrical profiles are introduced in view of mitigating the impact of varying cross section in crash behavior and energy absorption characteristics. Apart from the geometrical parameters such as length, diameter and thickness, the non-dimensionalized parameters of average forces which control the plastic bending moment for varying thickness has explored in view of quantifying its impact on the crashworthiness of the structure. The explicit finite element code ABAQUS is utilized to conduct the numerical studies to examine the effect of parametric modifications in crash behavior and energy absorption. Also the simulation results are experimentally validated. It is evident that the circular cross-sectional tubes are preferable as high collision impact shock absorbers due to their ability in withstanding axial and oblique impact loads effectively. Furthermore, the specific energy absorption (SEA), crash force efficiency (CFE), plastic bending moment, peak force responses and its impact for optimally tailoring a design to cater the crashworthiness requirements are investigated. The primary outcome of the study is to provide sufficient information on circular tubes for the use of energy absorbers where impact oblique loading is expected.
thin-walled structures;dynamic compression loading;energy absorption;plastic bending moment;high collision impact;crashworthiness
- Abramowicz, W. and Jones, N. (1984a), "Dynamic axial crushing of sqaure tubes", Int. J. Impact Eng., 2(2), 179-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(84)90005-8
- Abramowicz, W. and Jones, N. (1984b), "Dynamic axial crushing of circular tubes", Int. J. Impact Eng., 2(3), 263-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(84)90010-1
- Abramowicz, W. and Weirzbicki, T. (1988), "Axial crushing of foam filled columns", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 30(3-4), 263-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(88)90059-8
- Ahmad, Z. and Thambiratnam, D.P. (2009), "Dynamic computer simulation and energy absorption of foam filled conical tubes under axial impact loading", Int. J. Comput. Struct., 87(3-4), 186-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2008.10.003
- Alaghamdi, A. (2001), "Collapsible impact energy absorbers: an overview", Thin-wall. Struct., 39(2), 189-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(00)00048-3
- Baaskaran, N., Ponappa, K. and Shankar, S. (2017), "Quasi-Static crushing and energy absorption characteristics of thin-walled cylinders with geometric discontinuities of various aspect ratios", Latin Am. J. Solids Struct., 14(9), 1767-1787. https://doi.org/10.1590/1679-78253866
- Borvik, T., Hopperstad, O.S. and Reyes, M. (2003), "Empty and foam filled circular aluminium tubes subjected to axial and oblique quasistatic loading", Int. J. Crashworth., 8(5), 481-494. https://doi.org/10.1533/ijcr.2003.0254
- Chung, S., Nurick, N. and Starke, R. (2008), "The energy absorption characteristics of double cell tubular profiles", Thin-Wall. Struct., 5(4), 289-317.
- Duffy, J. (1979), "Testing techniques and material behavior at high rates of strain", Int. J. Hardening, 47, 1-15.
- Fan, Z., Lu, G. and Liu, K. (2013), "Quasistatic axial compression of thin walled tubes with different cross sectional shapes" , Int. J. Eng. Struct., 55, 80-89.
- Fyllingen, O., Hopperstad, O.S. and Hanssen, G. (2010), "Modelling of tubes subjected to axial crushing", Thin-Wall. Struct., 48(2), 134-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2009.08.007
- Guillow, S.R., Lu, G. and Grzebieta, R.H. (2001), "Quasistatic axial compression of thin walled circular aluminium tubes", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 43(9), 2103-2123. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(01)00031-5
- Han, D.C. and Park, S.H. (1999), "Collapse behavior of square thin walled columns subjected to oblique loads", Thin-Wall. Struct., 35(3), 167-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(99)00022-1
- Hou, S.J., Li, S. and Long, Y. (2007), "Design optimization of regular hexagonal thin walled columns with crashworthiness criteria", Int. J. Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 43(6-7), 555-565. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2006.12.008
- Huang, M.Y., Tai, Y.S. and Hu, H. (2010), "Dynamic characteristics of high strength steel cylinders with elliptical geometric discontinuities", Int. J. Theor. Appl. Fract. Mech., 54(1), 44-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tafmec.2010.06.014
- Jones, N. (1989), Structural Impact, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Karagiozova, D. and Jones, N. (2004), "Dynamic buckling of elastic plastic square tubes under axial impact-II: structural response", Int. J. Impact Eng., 30(2), 167-192. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(03)00062-9
- Karbhari, V.M. and Chaoling, S. (2003), "Energy absorbing characteristics of circular frusta", Int. J. Impact Eng., 8, 471-479.
- Krauss, C.A. and Laananen, D.H. (1994), "A parametric study of crush initiators for a thin walled tube", Int. J. Vehicle Des., 15(3-5), 384-401.
- Langseth, M. and Hopperstad, O.S. (1996), "Static and dynamic axial crushing of square thin walled aluminium extrusions", Int. J. Impact Eng., 18(7-8), 949-968. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(96)00025-5
- Langseth, M., Hopperstad, O.S. and Hanssen, A.G. (1998), "Crash behavior of thin walled aluminum members", Thin-Wall. Struct., 32(1-3), 127-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-8231(98)00030-5
- Mahdi, E. and Hamouda, A.M.S. (2012), "Energy absorption capability of composite hexagonal ring system", Int. J. Mater. Des., 34, 201-210.
- Mamalis, A.G., Manolakos, G.A. and Demosthenous, G.A. (1991), "Axial plastic collapse of thin bimaterial tubes as energy dissipating systems", Int. J. Impact Eng., 11(2), 185-196. https://doi.org/10.1016/0734-743X(91)90005-Z
- Nagel, G.M. and Thambiratnam, D.P. (2005), "Computer simulation and energy absorption of tapered thin walled rectangular tubes", Thin-Wall. Struct., 43(8), 1225-1242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2005.03.008
- Nagel, G.M. and Thambiratnam, D.P. (2006), "Dynamic simulation and energy absorption of tapered thin walled tubes under oblique impact loading", Int. J. Impact Eng., 32(10), 1595-1620. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2005.01.002
- Peixinho, N. and Pinho, A. (2007), "Study of viscoplasticity models for the impact behavior of high strength steels", Transactions of ASME, 2(2), 114-123.
- Qi, C., Yang, S. and Dong, F.L. (2012), "Crushing analysis and multi-objective crashworthiness optimization of tapered square tubes under oblique impact loading", Thin-Wall. Struct., 59, 103-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.05.008
- Reyes, A. and Langseth, M. (2002), "Crashworthiness of aluminium extrusions subjected to oblique loading: experiments and numerical analysis", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 44(9), 1965-1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7403(02)00050-4
- Santosa, S.P., Wierzbicki, T., Hanssen, A.G. and Langseth, M. (2000), "Experimental and numerical studies of foam filled sections", Int. J. Impact Eng., 24(5), 509-534. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0734-743X(99)00036-6
- Tai, Y.S., Huang, M.Y. and Hu, H.T. (2010), "Axial compression and energy absorption characteristics of high strength thin walled cylinders under impact load", Int. J. Theore. Appl. Fract. Mech., 53, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tafmec.2009.12.001
- Tarlochan, F. and Samer, F. (2013), "Design of thin walled structures for energy absorption applications: Design for crash injuries mitigation using magnesium alloy", Int. J. Res. Eng., 19, 2321-2329.
- Tarlochan, F., Samer, F., Hamouda, A.M.S., Ramesh, S. and Khalid, K. (2013), "Design of thin walled structures for energy absorption applications: Enhancement of crashworthiness due to axial and oblique impact forces", Thin-Wall. Struct., 71, 7-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2013.04.003
- Thornton, P.H., Mahmood, H.F. and Magee, C.L. (1983), "Energy absorption of structural collapse", Structural Crashworthiness, Butterworths, London, England.
- Vahdatazad, N. and Ebrahimi, S. (2016), "Energy absorption characteristics of diamond core columns under axial crushing loads", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 21(3), 605-628. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.21.3.605
- Vinayagar, K. and Kumar, A.S. (2017), "Multi-response optimization of crashworthiness parameters of bi-tubular structures", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 23(1), 31-40. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2017.23.1.031
- Witteman, W.J. (1999), "Improved Vehicle crashworthiness design by control of the energy absorption for different collision situation", Thesis; Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 41 p.
- Yu, H., Gu, Y. and Lai, X. (2009), "Rate dependent behavior and constitutive model of DP600 steel at strain rate from 10-4 to 103s-1", Int. J. Mater. Des., 30(7), 2501-2505.