- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A simplified design approach for modelling shear force demand on tower walls supported on a transfer structure in regions of lower seismicity
- Yacoubian, Mehair ;
- Lam, Nelson ;
- Lumantarna, Elisa ;
- Wilson, John L.
- Received : 2018.02.20
- Accepted : 2018.05.28
- Published : 2018.07.25
Buildings featuring a transfer structure can be commonly found in metropolitan cities situated in regions of lower seismicity. A transfer structure can be in the form of a rigid plate or an array of deep girders positioned at the podium level of the building to support the tower structure of the building. The anomalous increase in the shear force demand on the tower walls above the podium is a major cause for concern. Design guidance on how to quantify these adverse effects is not available. In this paper a simplified method for quantifying the increase in the shear force demand on the tower walls is presented. In view of the very limited ductile nature of this type of construction the analysis presented herein is based on linear elastic behaviour.
displacement-controlled behaviour;transfer structures;transfer plate;transfer girder;tower walls
- AS 1170.0 (2002), Structural Design Actions-Part 0: General Principals, SAI Global Limited under licence from Standards Australia Limited, Sydney, NSW 2001, Australia.
- AS 1170.4. (2007), Structural Design Actions-Part 4: Earthquake Actions in Australia, Sydney, NSW 2001, Australia.
- AS 3600 (2009), Concrete Structures, SAI Global Limited, Sydney, NSW 2001, Australia.
- ASCE 7-10 (2010), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Chopra, A.K. (1995), Dynamics of Structures, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) (2005), Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance-Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Action and Rules for Buildings, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels, Belgium.
- Habibullah, A. (1997), ETABS-Three Dimensional Analysis of Building Systems, Users Manual, Computers and Structures Inc., Berkeley, California.
- TBI (2010), Guidelines for Performance-based Seismic Design of Tall Buildings, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center.
- Kuang, J. and Zhang, Z. (2003), "Analysis and behaviour of transfer plate-shear wall systems in tall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 12, 409-421. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.236
- Lam, N., Lumantarna, E. and Wilson, J. (2016), "Simplified elastic design checks for torsionally balanced and unbalanced low-medium rise buildings in lower seismicity regions", Earthq. Struct., 11(5), 741-777. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.5.741
- Lee, H.S. and Hwang, K.R. (2015), "Torsion design implications from shake-table responses of an RC low-rise building model having irregularities at the ground story", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 44, 907-927. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2492
- Li, C., Lam, S., Zhang, M. and Wong, Y. (2006), "Shaking table test of a 1: 20 scale high-rise building with a transfer plate system", J. Struct. Eng., 132, 1732-1744. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:11(1732)
- Lumantarna, E., Lam, N. and Wilson, J. (2013), "Displacementcontrolled behavior of asymmetrical single-story building models", J. Earthq. Eng., 17, 902-917. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2013.781557
- Lumantarna, E., Lam, N., Wilson, J. and Griffith, M. (2010), "Inelastic displacement demand of strength-degraded structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 14, 487-511. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460903336910
- Mwafy, A. and Khalifa, S. (2017), "Effect of vertical structural irregularity on seismic design of tall buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 26(18). e1399. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1399
- PEER (2015), PEER Strong Motion Data Base, Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, http://peer.berkeley.edu/smcat/index.htm.
- PEER/ATC (2010), Modeling and Acceptance Criteria for Seismic Design and Analysis of Tall Buildings, Redwood City, CA: Applied Technology Council in Cooperation with the Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center.
- Priestley, J.N., Calvi, G.M. and Kowalsky, M.J. (2007), Displacement-based Seismic Design of Structures, IUSS Press.
- Priestley, M. (1997), "Displacement-based seismic assessment of reinforced concrete buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 1, 157-192.
- Qian, C.G. and Wang, W. (2006), "Effect of the thickness of transfer slab on seismic behavior of tall building structure", Optim. Cap. Constr., 27, 98-100.
- Seismosoft. SeismoArtif (Version 5.1.2 Build:1, June 2014). Retrieved from www.seismosoft.com.
- Su, R.K.L, Tsang, H. and Lam, N. (2011), "Seismic design of buildings for Hong Kong conditions", Hong Kong Institution of Engineers.
- Su, R.K.L (2008), "Seismic behaviour of buildings with transfer structures in low-to-moderate seismicity regions", Department of Civil Engineering, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China.
- Su, R.K.L and Cheng, M. (2009), "Earthquake-induced shear concentration in shear walls above transfer structures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 18, 657-671. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.458
- Su, R.K.L., Chandler, A.M., Li, J.H. and Lam, N. (2002), "Seismic assessment of transfer plate high rise buildings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 14, 287. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2002.14.3.287
- Tang, T.O. and Su, R.K.L. (2015), "Gravity-induced shear force in reinforced concrete walls above transfer structures", Proc. Inst. Civil Eng., Struct. Build., 18(6), 657-671.
- Tsang, H.H., Su, R.K.L, Lam, N. and Lo, S. (2009), "Rapid assessment of seismic demand in existing building structures", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 18, 427-439. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.444
- Yacoubian, M., Lam, N., Lumantarna, E. and Wilson, J.L. (2017a), "Effects of podium interference on shear force distributions in tower walls supporting tall buildings", Eng. Struct., 148, 639-659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2017.06.075
- Yacoubian, M., Lam, N., Lumantarna, E. and Wilson, J.L. (2017b), "Simplified design checks for buildings featuring transfer structures in regions of lower seismicity", The 2017 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics (ASEM17), Ilsan (Seoul), Korea.
- Zhitao, Z.J.W.G.L. (2000), "Dynamic properties and response of the thick slab of transfer plate models with dual rectangular shape in tall building", Build. Struct., 6, 010.