- Volume 15 Issue 1
A new site classification system and site coefficients based on local site conditions in Korea were developed and implemented as a part of minimum design load requirements for general seismic design. The new site classification system adopted bedrock depth and average shear wave velocity of soil above the bedrock as parameters for site classification. These code provisions were passed through a public hearing process before it was enacted. The public hearing process recommended to modify the naming of site classes and adjust the amplification factors so that the level of short-period amplification is suitable for economical seismic design. In this paper, the new code provisions were assessed using dynamic centrifuge tests and by comparing the design response spectra (DRS) with records from 2016 Gyeongju earthquake, the largest earthquake in history of instrumental seismic observation in Korea. The dynamic centrifuge tests were performed to simulate the representative Korean site conditions, such as shallow depth to bedrock and short-period amplification characteristics, and the results corroborated with the new DRS. The Gyeongju earthquake records also showed good agreement with the DRS. In summary, the new code provisions are reliable for representing the site amplification characteristic of shallow bedrock condition in Korea.
site classification system;design response spectrum;dynamic centrifuge test;2016 Gyeongju earthquake
- Adanur, S., Altunisik, A.C., Soyluk, K., Dumanoolu, A.A. and Bayraktar, A. (2016), "Contribution of local site-effect on the seismic response of suspension bridges to spatially varying ground motions", Earthq. Struct., 10(5), 1233-1251. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.5.1233
- AIK (Architectural Institute of Korea) (2016), Korean Building Code, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Australian Standard: AS 1170.4-2007 (2007), Structural Design Actions, Part 4: Earthquake Actions in Australia, Sydney, Standards, Australia.
- Beneldjouzi, M., Laouami, N. and Slimani, A. (2017), "Numerical and random simulation procedure for preliminary local site characterization and site factor assessing", Earthq. Struct., 13(1), 79-87. https://doi.org/10.12989/EAS.2017.13.1.079
- Boore, D.M. (2010), "Orientation-independent, nongeometricmean measures of seismic intensity from two horizontal components of motion", Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 100(4), 1830-1835. https://doi.org/10.1785/0120090400
- Borcherdt, R. (1996), "Preliminary amplification estimates inferred from strong ground-motion recordings of the Northridge earthquake of January 17, 1994", Proceedings of the International Workshop on Site Response Subjected to Strong Earthquake Motions, 1, 21-46.
- BSSC (Building Seismic Safety Council) (1997), NEHRP Recommended Seismic Provisions for New Buildings and Other Structures, FEMA 302, Part 1 (Provisions),Washington, D.C.
- CEN (European Committee for Standardization) (2004), Eurocode 8: Design of Structures for Earthquake Resistance, Part 1: General Rules, Seismic Actions and Rules for Buildings, EN 1998-1:2004, Brussels, Belgium.
- Dobry, R., Ramos, R. and Power, M. (1999), "Site factors and site categories in seismic codes", Technical Multidisplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, Report No. MCEER-99-0010, Buffalo, NY.
- ICC (International Code Council) (2015), International Building Code, Washington D.C.
- Idriss, I. and Sun, J.I. (1992), User‟s Manual for SHAKE91, Center for Geotechnical Modeling, Department of Civil Engineering, University of California, Davis, CA.
- Kim, D.S. and Choo, Y.W. (2001), "Deformation characteristics of hydraulic-filled cohesionless soils in Korea", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics, San Diego, CA.
- Kim, D.S. and Yoon, J.K. (2006), "Development of new site classification system for the regions of shallow bedrock in Korea", J. Earthq. Eng., 10(3), 331-358. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460609350600
- Kim, K.H., Kang, T.S., Rhie, J., Kim, Y., Park, Y., Kang, S.Y. and Kong, C. (2016), "The 2 September 2016 Gyeongju earthquakes: 2. Temporary seismic network for monitoring aftershocks", Geosci. J., 20(6), 753-757. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-016-0034-9
- Kim, N.R. and Kim, D.S. (2010), "A shear wave velocity tomography system for geotechnical centrifuge testing", Geotech. Test. J., 33(6), 434-444.
- Lee, S.H., Choo, Y.W. and Kim, D.S. (2013), "Performance of an equivalent shear beam (ESB) model container for dynamic geotechnical centrifuge tests", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 44, 102-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2012.09.008
- Lee, S.H., Sun, C.G., Yoon, J.K. and Kim, D.S. (2012), "Development and verification of a new site classification system and site coefficients for regions of shallow bedrock in Korea", J. Earthq. Eng., 16(6), 795-819. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2012.658491
- Manandhar, S., Cho, H.I. and Kim, D.S. (2017), "Site classification system and site coefficients for shallow bedrock sites in Korea", J. Earthq. Eng., https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1277570. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2016.1277570
- MOCT (Ministry of Construction and Transportation) (1997), Korean Seismic Design Standard, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- MPSS (Ministry of Public Safety and Security) (2017), Minimum requirements for seismic design, Sejong, Korea. (in Korean)
- New Zealand Standard: NZS 1170.5:2004 (2004), Structural design actions, Part 5: Earthquake actions-New Zealand, Wellington: Standards, New Zealand.
- Park, H.C. and Kim, D.S. (2001), "Evaluation of the dispersive phase and group velocities using harmonic wavelet transform", NDT & E Int., 34(7), 457-467. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-8695(00)00076-1
- Pitilakis, K., Riga, E. and Anastasiadis, A. (2012), "Design spectra and amplification factors for Eurocode 8", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 10(5), 1377-1400. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-012-9367-6
- Pitilakis, K., Riga, E. and Anastasiadis, A. (2013), "New code site classification, amplification factors and normalized response spectra based on a worldwide ground-motion database", Bull. Earthq. Eng., 11(4), 925-966. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-013-9429-4
- Rodriguez-Marek, A., Bray, J.D. and Abrahamson, N.A. (2001), "An empirical geotechnical seismic site response procedure", Earthq. Spectra, 17(1), 65-87. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586167
- Stokoe, K.H., II, Wright, G.W., James, A.B. and Roesset, J.M. (1994), "Characterization of geotechnical sites by SASW method in geophysical characterization of sites", ISSMFE, Technical Committee #10, Ed. R.D. Woods, Oxford Publishers, New Delhi.
- Sun, C.G., Han, J.T. and Cho, W. (2012), "Representative shear wave velocity of geotechnical layers by synthesizing in-situ seismic test data in Korea", J. Eng. Geology, 22(3), 293-307. https://doi.org/10.9720/kseg.2012.3.293
- Sun, C.G., Kim, D.S. and Chung, C.K. (2005), "Geologic site conditions and site coefficients for estimating earthquake ground motions in the inland areas of Korea", Eng. Geology, 81(4), 446-469. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2005.08.002
- Tsang, H.H., Sheikh, M.N. and Lam, N.T.K. (2012), "Modeling shear rigidity of stratified bedrock in site response analysis", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 34(1), 89-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2011.10.007
- Tsang, H.H., Wilson, J.L. and Lam. N.T.K. (2017b), "A refined design spectrum model for regions of lower seismicity", Aust. J. Struct. Eng., 18, 3-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/13287982.2017.1297529
- Tsang, H.H., Wilson, J.L., Lam. N.T.K. and Su, R.K.L. (2017a), "A design spectrum model for flexible soil sites in regions of low-to-moderate seismicity", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 92, 36-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2016.09.035
Supported by : Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources (KIGAM)