- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Efficacy of adjuvant radiotherapy in non-extremity soft tissue sarcoma with moderate chemosensitivity
- Lee, Eun Mi (Division of Hemato-oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kosin University College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Dong Hyun (Department of Radiation Oncology, Pusan National University School of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Do Young (Division of Hemato-oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine) ;
- Seol, Young Mi (Division of Hemato-oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine) ;
- Choi, Young Jin (Division of Hemato-oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Hyojeong (Division of Hemato-oncology, Department of Internal Medicine, Pusan National University School of Medicine)
- Received : 2018.05.31
- Accepted : 2018.10.24
- Published : 2018.12.31
Purpose: Soft tissue sarcoma (STS) is a rare and heterogeneous cancer with over 50 known subtypes. It is difficult to understand the role of adjuvant treatment in STS. We aimed to determine the benefits of adjuvant treatment for a rare STS subset: non-extremity STS with moderate chemosensitivity. Materials and Methods: We reviewed medical records from Pusan National University Hospital and Kosin University Gospel Hospital, which had detailed pathological reports on patients diagnosed between 2006 and 2016. The most important inclusion criterion was resection with curative intent. We grouped STS by chemosensitivity based on reported data and analyzed non-extremity STS with moderate chemosensitivity. Results: We investigated 142 patients with 20 pathological subtypes of STS. Eighty-six patients had extremity STS and 56 had non-extremity STS. Thirty-eight of 56 patients were categorized as having moderate chemosensitivity. Seventeen of 38 patients (44.7%) received adjuvant radiotherapy and 14 (36.8%) received adjuvant chemotherapy. A log-rank test showed longer disease-free survival (DFS) in the adjuvant radiotherapy group than in the group treated without adjuvant radiotherapy (not reached vs. 1.468 years, p = 0.037). Multivariate Cox proportional hazard analysis, with covariates including age, stage, resection margin, adjuvant chemotherapy, and adjuvant radiotherapy, revealed that adjuvant radiotherapy was associated with longer DFS (odds ratio = 0.369, p = 0.045). Overall survival was not correlated with adjuvant radiotherapy. Conclusion: Adjuvant radiotherapy may be associated with longer DFS in patients with non-extremity STS with moderate chemosensitivity.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2013. CA Cancer J Clin 2013;63:11-30.
- Wang J, Zhu XZ. Introduction of WHO classification of tumours of soft tissue, the fourth edition. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 2013;42:363-5.
- von Mehren M, Randall RL, Benjamin RS, et al. Soft Tissue Sarcoma, Version 2.2016, NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 2016;14:758-86.
- Lawrence W Jr, Donegan WL, Natarajan N, Mettlin C, Beart R, Winchester D. Adult soft tissue sarcomas: a pattern of care survey of the American College of Surgeons. Ann Surg 1987;205:349-59.
- Eilber FC, Rosen G, Nelson SD, et al. High-grade extremity soft tissue sarcomas: factors predictive of local recurrence and its effect on morbidity and mortality. Ann Surg 2003;237:218-26.
- Weitz J, Antonescu CR, Brennan MF. Localized extremity soft tissue sarcoma: improved knowledge with unchanged survival over time. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:2719-25.
- Gronchi A, Casali PG, Mariani L, et al. Status of surgical margins and prognosis in adult soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities: a series of patients treated at a single institution. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:96-104.
- Potter BK, Hwang PF, Forsberg JA, et al. Impact of margin status and local recurrence on soft-tissue sarcoma outcomes. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2013;95:e151.
- Dangoor A, Seddon B, Gerrand C, Grimer R, Whelan J, Judson I. UK guidelines for the management of soft tissue sarcomas. Clin Sarcoma Res 2016;6:20.
- Maki RG, Wathen JK, Patel SR, et al. Randomized phase II study of gemcitabine and docetaxel compared with gemcitabine alone in patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcomas: results of sarcoma alliance for research through collaboration study 002 [corrected]. J Clin Oncol 2007;25:2755-63.
- Italiano A, Toulmonde M, Cioffi A, et al. Advanced welldifferentiated/dedifferentiated liposarcomas: role of chemotherapy and survival. Ann Oncol 2012;23:1601-7.
- Jones RL, Fisher C, Al-Muderis O, Judson IR. Differential sensitivity of liposarcoma subtypes to chemotherapy. Eur J Cancer 2005;41:2853-60.
- Kattan MW, Leung DH, Brennan MF. Postoperative nomogram for 12-year sarcoma-specific death. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:791-6.
- Callegaro D, Miceli R, Bonvalot S, et al. Development and external validation of two nomograms to predict overall survival and occurrence of distant metastases in adults after surgical resection of localised soft-tissue sarcomas of the extremities: a retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol 2016;17:671-80.
- Dickie CI, Haas R, O'Sullivan B. Adjuvant radiation for soft tissue sarcomas. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2015:e634-42.
- Pisters PW, Harrison LB, Leung DH, Woodruff JM, Casper ES, Brennan MF. Long-term results of a prospective randomized trial of adjuvant brachytherapy in soft tissue sarcoma. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:859-68.
- Yang JC, Chang AE, Baker AR, et al. Randomized prospective study of the benefit of adjuvant radiation therapy in the treatment of soft tissue sarcomas of the extremity. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:197-203.
- Kachare SD, Brinkley J, Vohra NA, Zervos EE, Wong JH, Fitzgerald TL. Radiotherapy associated with improved survival for high-grade sarcoma of the extremity. J Surg Oncol 2015;112:338-43.
- Stoeckle E, Coindre JM, Bonvalot S, et al. Prognostic factors in retroperitoneal sarcoma: a multivariate analysis of a series of 165 patients of the French Cancer Center Federation Sarcoma Group. Cancer 2001;92:359-68.
- Nussbaum DP, Rushing CN, Lane WO, et al. Preoperative or postoperative radiotherapy versus surgery alone for retroperitoneal sarcoma: a case-control, propensity scorematched analysis of a nationwide clinical oncology database. Lancet Oncol 2016;17:966-75.
- Ford SJ, Almond LM, Gronchi A. An update on non-extremity soft tissue sarcomas. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2017;29:516-27.
- Casali PG. Adjuvant chemotherapy for soft tissue sarcoma. Am Soc Clin Oncol Educ Book 2015:e629-33.