- Volume 31 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Modern Explication of CheukRyangDoHae and its Pedagogical Applications
측량도해(測量圖解)의 현대적 해석 및 수학교육적 활용 방안
- Received : 2018.04.06
- Accepted : 2018.06.14
- Published : 2018.06.30
In spite of important researches and translational works of the Joseon mathematical treatises in the 80's and on, these results were almost out of reach to the school teachers as well as students due to the antiquity of their contents and the terms used. In order to make our traditional mathematics approachable to the middle and high school students, it will be educationally meaningful to reinterpret them tuned at the student's level using modern terminology and symbols. In this study, we reinterpreted 9 problems from Cheukryang Dohae, which is one of the representative mathematical books of Joseon Dynasty. We used the terminology and symbols from the school curriculum. We also reconstructed two of them using modern metrologies adapted to modern situations adding illustrations and photos, so that they are useful at the teaching site.
- CHANG H. W., Analysis on Gu-il-jip, the mathematical book of Chosun dynasty and its pedagogical applications, Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics 13(4) (2003), 429-446.
- CHANG H. W., Mathematics Museum, Gyonggi: Seongandang, 2010.
- GIM C. C., KIM J. H., LEE K. H., An International Comparative Study on the Use of Illustrations of the Elementary Mathematics Textbooks in Korea, Japan, USA and Germany, The Journal of Curriculum & Evaluation 9(1) (2006), 299-319.
- R. HEINICH, M. et al, Instructional media and technologies for learning (7th ed.), New York: Prentice Hall, Inc., 2002.
- HER M., About the utility of mathematics, The Korean Journal for History of Mathematics 14(1) (2001), 61-72.
- HYUN Y. H., KIM Y. J., CHO S. J., The research of visual materials for aesthetic composition on the textbooks, Korea Textbook Research Foundation, Research Report 2004-4.
- JUNG H. N., Pedagogical Approach of the Nine Chapters on the Mathematical Art and Nam Byung Gil's GuJangSulHae, Education of Primary School Mathematics 14(2) (2011), 103-116.
- KANG S. P., KIM S. J., LIM E. H., A study on the analysis of elementary mathematics textbook's illustrations: Focusing on the second grade, Journal of the Korean School Mathematics Society 8(2) (2005), 183-201.
- Ministry of Education, Mathematics Curriculum, Bulletin of MOE No.2015-84 [Seperate Volume 8].
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology, Mathematics Curriculum, Bulletin of MEST No.2011-361 [Seperate Volume 8].
- NAM W. S., Cheukryangdohae(Yoo, I. Y. and Her, M., Trans.). Seoul: Kyowoosa(Original work published 1857), 2006.
- National Library of Korea, http://www.nl.go.kr/nl/search/search.jsp?all=on&topF1=title_author&kwd=%EC%B8%A1%EB%9F%89%EB%8F%84%ED%95%B4#none.
- YANG S. H., An Investigation of the Height Measurement of Island Recorded in Mathematics Books of the Late Chosun Dynasty and its Pedagogical Applications, Journal of Educational Research in Mathematics 28(1) (2018), 49-74. https://doi.org/10.29275/jerm.2018.02.28.1.49