- Volume 19 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Influences of College Adaptation, Satisfaction of Major and Clinical Practice on Vocational Identity in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 대학생활적응, 전공만족도, 임상실습만족도가 간호사로서의 직업정체성에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Mi-Ra (Dept. of Nursing, Daejeon Health Institute of Technology) ;
- Kim, Mi-Ja (Dept. of Nursing, Daejeon Institute Science & Technology)
- Received : 2018.03.12
- Accepted : 2018.06.01
- Published : 2018.06.30
The purpose of this study was to investigate levels of vocational identity, adaptation in a nursing school, and nursing student satisfaction with major and clinical practice, to examine their interrelationships, and to investigate predictors affecting the vocational identity of nursing students. The participants were 335 nursing students in D city who were surveyed from October to December 2016 using a self-report questionnaire. The data from 317 participants (response rate 94.6%) were analyzed. There was a statistically significant positive correlation between college adaptation, satisfaction with major, satisfaction with clinical practice, and vocational identity. In the multiple regression analysis, college adaptation, satisfaction with major, and satisfaction with clinical practice were factors significantly associated with the vocational identity. These three factors explained 50.6% of the vocational identity of nursing students. Due to the high turnover rate among new nurses, it is critical that nursing students have a vocational identity as nurses. In order to improve vocational identity, nurse educators should consider helping students to adapt to nursing college, and to become satisfied with major and clinical practice.
- National Statistical Office, [cited 2017 April], Available From: http://www.Kosis.kr/wnsearch/totalSearch.jsp (accessed Oct., 27, 2017)
- Nursing Association Newspaper, [cited 2017 Jan. 24], Available From http://www.nursenews.co.kr/main/ArticleDetailView.asp?sSection=62&idx=21152 (accessed Oct., 10, 2017)
- Young Doctors Newspaper, [cited 2017 April], Available From: http://www.docdocdoc.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=1045318 (accessed Oct., 10, 2017)
- L. Daouk-Oyry, A. Amouze, F. Otaki, NY. Dumit, I. Osman, "The Joint Model of Nurse Absenteeism and Turnover: A Systemic Review", International Journal of Nursing Studies, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 93-110, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.06.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.06.018
- H. Cho., G. Y. Lee, "Self Esteem and Career Identity of Nursing Students", Journal of Korea Academy of Public Health Nursing. vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 163-173, 2006.
- Naver Dictionary, http://dic.naver.com.
- J. L. Holland, D. C. Gottfredson, P. G. Power, "Some diagnostic scales for research in decision making and personality: identtity, information, and barriers", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, vol. 39, pp. 1191-1200, 1980. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077731 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077731
- S. Kim, S. Kim, "Development and Validation of the Career Identity Scale for College Students", Korean Journal of Counseling, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1425-1441, 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.3.201206.1425 https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.3.201206.1425
- M. Worthingto, Y. Salamonson, R. Weaver, M. Cleary, "Predictive Validity of the Maceod Clark Professional Identity Scale for Undergraduate Nursing Students", Nurse Educ Today, vol. 33, no. 30, pp. 187-91, 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.01.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2012.01.012
- A. Hirsh, "Vocational Identity as a Mediator of the Relationship between Core Self Evaluations and Life and Job Satisfaction", Appl Psychol-Int Rev, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 622-644, 2011. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.2011.00450.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.2011.00450.x
- L. O' Mara, J. McDonald, M. Gillespie, H. Brown, L. Miles, "Challenging Clinical Learning Environments: Experiences of Undergraduate Nursing Students", Nurse Education in Practice, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 208-213, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2013.08.012 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2013.08.012
- O. Kim, M. Park, "Relations among Career Identity, Nursing Professionalism and Violent Experiences of Nursing Students", Indian Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 8, no. 27, pp. 1-8, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i27/86863
- J. L. Holland, J. A. Johnston, N. F. Asama, "The Vocational Identity Scale: a Diagnosis and Treatment Tool", Journal of Career Assessment, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1-12, 1993. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/106907279300100102 https://doi.org/10.1177/106907279300100102
- K. Kim, B. Lee, "The Relationship between Satisfaction with Clinical Practice and Clinical Performance Ability for Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 885-896, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.885 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.10.885
- M. H. Nam, M. Lee, "The Effect of Emotional Labor of Clinical Practice, Self-esteem and Clinical Practice Satisfaction on Professional Identity in Nursing Students", J. Korean Acad Soc Nurs Educ, vol. 22 no. 4, pp. 527-536, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.527 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.527
- Y. Cho. "The Relationship of Career Identity, Major Satisfaction and College Adaptation of Nursing Freshmen", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 2937-2945, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2937
- B. Oh, S. Lee, "The Difference in Career Attitude Maturity, Self-esteem, Depression and College Adjustment between Vocational Identity Status: Focused on the Vocational Identity Status Assessment(VISA)", The Journal of Career Education Research, vol. 26. no. 1, pp. 47-67, 2013.
- B. W. Kim, "Career Decision Level and Career Preparation Behavior of the College Students", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul, 1997.
- Y. H. Kwon, "Effect of Ready Planned Self-esteem Program through MBTI on Interpersonal Relationship and Career Identity of Nursing College Students, Master's Thesis, Keimyung University. Daegu. 2002.
- R. W. Baker, B. Siryk, "Measuring Adjustment to College", Journal of Counselling Psychology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 179-189, 1984. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.11
- Y. J. Lee, "The Non-residential Students' Adaptation to College Life and Career Plans, Unpublished Master's Thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, 1999.
- H. Ju, "Life Stress, Self-efficacy, Physical Symptoms and Adjustment to College among Students in University, Unpublished Master's Thesis, Kongju National University, Gong Ju, 2013.
- K. J. Cho, H. S. Kang, "Study on Self-Concept and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 63-74, 1984. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4040/jnas.1918.104.22.168
- S. Lee, "A Study on Satisfaction and Experience of Clinical Practice & Direction for Clinical Education: Focused on Maternity Nursing Practice", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 333-348, 2001.
- S. H. Lee, S. Y. Kim, J. A. Kim, "Nursing Students' Image of Nurse and Satisfaction with Clinical Practice", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 219-231,B 2004. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE06641296
- H. Ha, "A Study of Department Satisfaction and School Satisfaction of Undergraduate Students, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2000.
- D. J. Lee, "The Relationships among Satisfaction in Major, Gender, Identity, Stereotypes of Male Nursing Students, Master's Thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul, 2004.
- M. Lee, H. Jeon, "Personal Types, Ego-resilience, and College Adaptation in Nursing and Health Care related Students", Journal of the Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 8861-8869, 2015. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8861 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.12.8861
- H. Choi. "Moderating and Mediating Effects of Nursing Professionalism between Major Satisfaction and College life Adaptation among Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 68-77, 2017. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.68
- S. K. Cha, E. M. Lee. "Comparison of Stress, Depression and Suicidal Ideation between Nursing Students and Students of Other Majors", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 650-658, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.650 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.650
- J. Lee. "Correlations between Nurse Image, Satisfaction of Major and Satisfaction in Clinical Practice in a Diploma Nursing Students", vol. 12. no. 3.4, pp. 213-224, 2011.
- M. Park, M. Lee, J. Gu, "Clinical Competency, Professional Self-concept, and Satisfaction of Clinical Practice in Undergraduate Nursing Students", Journal of Militry Nursing Research, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 111-123, 2011.
- M. Jeon,, M. Kim. "Factors Influencing Satisfaction on Clinical Practice in Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 40-48, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.40
- Sun, Li., Gao, Ying., Yang, Juan., Zang, X., Wang., Y. "The Impact of Professional Identity on Role Stress in Nursing Students: A Cross-sectional Study, Int J. Nurs Studies, vol. 63, pp. 1-8, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.08.010 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.08.010
- C. Bradbury-Jones, S. Sambrook, P. Irvine, "Empowerment and Being Valued: A Phenomenological Study of Nursing Students' Experiences of Clinical Practice", Nurse Education Today, vol. 31, pp. 368-372, 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.07.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2010.07.008
- P. Pearcey, P. Draper, "Exploring Clinical Nursing Experiences: Listening to Student Nurses", Nurse Education Today, vol. 28, pp. 595-601, 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.09.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2007.09.007
- B. Skela-Savic, A. Kiger, "Self-assessment of Clinical Nurse Mentors as Dimensions of Professional Development and the Capability of Developing Ethical Values at Nursing Students: A Correlational Research Study", Nurse Education Today, vol. 35, no. 10, pp. 1044-1051, 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.04.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2015.04.003
- S. K. Lee. "Korean College Students' Vocational Identity: The Differences according to Demographic and Career-related Variables", The J of Career Education Research, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 141-153. 2006.
- Y. Gong. "Factors Affecting College Students Adjustment Who Decide on Their Majors Primarily Based on Extrinsic Motivation", The J of Career Education Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1-18, 2014. http://www.dbpia.co.kr/Article/NODE02452630
- Y. Kwon, O. Kwag, "Effect of Ready Planned Small Group Collaboration Learning Program Through MBTI on Interpersonal Relationships and Career Identity of Nursing College Students", Journal of the Korea Academy Industrial Cooperation Society, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 4441-4448, 2010. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4441 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4441
- D. W. Cox, A. L. Bjornsen, T. S. Krieshok, Y. Liu, "Occupational Engagement and Academic Major Satisfaction: Vocational Identity's Mediating Role", The Career Development Quarterly, vol. 64, pp. 169-180, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/cdq.12049 https://doi.org/10.1002/cdq.12049
- K. D. Kimmel, "The Effect of Specialized Orientation Programs on High-risk Students in a South Central Texas Community College Vocational Nursing Program", (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses database (UMI no. 9980168), 2000.