- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Emotional Labor on Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction of Librarians Working at Public Libraries
공공도서관 사서의 감정노동이 조직몰입과 직무만족에 미치는 영향
- 조찬식 (동덕여자대학교 문헌정보학과)
- Received : 2018.05.24
- Accepted : 2018.06.26
- Published : 2018.06.30
Librarians, who provide the public with library services at public libraries, are employees whose jobs are often require emotional labor. The emotional labor of librarians working at public libraries can result in stresses caused by the discrepancy between the library's emotional requirements and the librarian's personal emotions, which may influence organizational effectiveness, such as organizational commitment and job satisfaction. In that, this study intends to examine the influence of emotional labor on the organizational commitment and job satisfaction of librarians working at public libraries. To do so, based upon the conceptual underpinning through literature reviews of librarians working at public libraries and emotional labor, this study constructs a theoretical framework of organizational commitment and job satisfaction of librarians. Using a questionnaire survey method, this study surveys 238 public library staff from 33 public libraries in the Seoul metropolitan area, statistically examines the response through the SPSS20 statistical package, and analyzes the relationship between and among the variables. Based on the analysis, discussion on the influence of the emotional labor on organizational commitment and job satisfaction of librarians working at public libraries follows.
Public Library;Librarian;Emotional Labor;Organizational Commitment;Job Satisfaction
Supported by : 동덕여자대학교
- Kim, Min-Joo. 2006. "A Comparative Study of the Consequences of Emotional Labor between Korea and U. S. A.: Focused on the Relationship between the Hotel Employees' Emotional Labor and Their Job Stress." Korean Journal of Hospitality Administration, 15(1): 35-57.
- Kim, Su-Jin and Soon-Ae Kang. 2018. "The Effects of Emotional Labor Level on the Level of Job Satisfaction and Library Information Service Provision in Public Library Librarians." Journal of the Korean Biblia Society of Library and Information Science, 29(1): 153-184. https://doi.org/10.14699/KBIBLIA.2018.29.1.153
- Min, Sook Hee. 2014 "The Librarians Emotional Labor at the University Libraries. Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 48(4): 345-376.
- Shin, Seon-Hui, Hyul-Ra Choi, and Seon-Myung Kim. 2016. "Impact on the Degree of Labor Turnover of Professional Self-concept and Emotional Labor." The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, 16(5): 375-387. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.375
- Sim, Hyo Jung. 2006 A Study on the Affecting Variables on the Organizational Commitment of Public Librarians. Ph. D. diss. Sungkunkwan University.
- Lee, Jong Soo. 2009. Dictionary of Administration. Seoul: Daeyoung.
- Lee, Whan Jung. 2014. The Influence of Emotional Labor on Turnover Intention of Workers in Social Welfare Facilities. Ph. D. diss. Hansung University..
- Jeong, Dong-Yeol and Chan-Sik Cho. 2016. Introduction to Library and Information Science. Seoul: Korean Library Association.
- Jeong, Mu Goan, H. C. Lim, and H. S. Choi. 2008. "Study of Consequences of Employees' Emotional Labor in Call Centers." Journal of Service Management, 9(2): 320-345.
- Jung, Yun Gil and K. M. Lee. 2007. "The Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Collective Efficacy and Team Effectiveness." Korean Public Administration Quarterly, 19(4): 1053-1073.
- Cho, Chan-Sik and Mi-A Cho. 2011. Understanding and Analyses of the Public Library. Seoul: Educontents.
- Cha, Hyun Ju. 2017. A Study on the Effects of Shared Leadership, Authentic Leadership, anf Self Leadership on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment of Academic Librarians. Ph. D. diss. Sungkunkwan University.
- Chaiy, Seo Il. 1998. Research Methods in Social Science. Seoul: Hackhyunsa.
- Choi, Hang Sok and C. S. Cho. 2014 "The Influence of Manager's Communication Ability on the Staff's Job-Efficacy and Organizational Commitment." Regional Industry Research, 37(4): 155-176.
- Allen, N. J. and J. P. Meyer. 1996. "Affective, Continuance, and Normative Commitment to the Organization." Journal of Vocational Behaviour, 48(3): 252-276.
- Ashkanasy, N. M., C. E. J. Hartel, and C. S. Daus. 2002. "Diversity and Emotion: The New Frontiers in Organizational Behavior Research." Journal of Management, 28(3): 307-338. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920630202800304
- Becker, T. E. 1992. "Foci and Bases of Commitment: Are They Distinction Worth Making?" Academy of Management Journal, 35(1): 232-244. https://doi.org/10.5465/256481
- Bishop, J. W. and K. D. Scott. 2000. "Organizational and Team Commitment in a Team Environment." Journal of Applied Psychology, 85: 439-450. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.85.3.439
- Bowen, D. E., S. W. Gilliland, and R. Folger. 1999. "HRM and Service Fairness." Organizational Dynamics, 27(3): 7-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-2616(99)90018-9
- Brotheridge, C. M. and A. A. Grandey. 2002. "Emotional Labor and Burnout: Comparing Two Perspectives of 'People Work'." Journal of Vocational Behavior, 60(1): 17-39. https://doi.org/10.1006/jvbe.2001.1815
- Brotheridge, C. M. and R. E. Lee, 1998. "On the Dimensionality of Emotional Labour: Development and Validation of the Emotional Labour Scale." Paper presented at the first conference on Emotions in Organizational Life. San Diego.
- Buchanan II, B. 1974. "Building Organizational Commitment: The Socialization of Managers in Work Organizations." Administrative Science Quarterly, 19: 533-546. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391809
- Chu, K. H.-L. and S. K. Murrmann. 2006. "Development and Validation of the Hospitility Emotional Labor Scale." Tourism Management, 27: 1181-1191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2005.12.011
- Curry, J. P., D. S. Wakefield, J. L. Price, and C. W. Mueller. 1986. "On the causal Ordering of Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment." Academy of Management Journal, 29(4): 847-858.
- Davies, S. A. 2002. Emotional labor in Academia: Development and Initial Validation of a New Measure. Ph.D. diss., Ohio State University.
- Grandey, A. A. 2000. "Emotion Regulation in the Workplace: A new Way to Conceptualize Emotional Labor." Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 5(1): 95-110. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89126.96.36.199
- Hochschild, A. R. 1979. "Emotion Work, Feeling Rules, and Social Structure." American Journal of Sociology, 85(3): 551-574. https://doi.org/10.1086/227049
- Hochschild, A. R. 1983. The Managed Heart: Commercialization of Human Feeling. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Johnston, Mark. W. and Creg W. Marshall. 2008. Churchill, Ford, Walker's Sales Force Management. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Julien, H. and S. K. Genuis. 2009. "Emotional Labour in Librarians' Instructional Work." Journal of Documentation, 65(6): 926-937. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410910998924
- Locke, E. A. 1976. "The Nature and Causes of Job Satisfaction." In M. D. Dunnette (Ed.), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Chicago: Rand McNally.
- Matteson, M. L. and S. S. Miller. 2012. "A Study of Emotional Labor in Librarianship." Library & Information Science Research, 35(1): 54-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lisr.2012.07.005
- Meyer, J. P. and N. J. Allen. 1997. Commitment in the Workplace, Theory, Research and Application. CA: Sage.
- Meyer, J. P., N. J. Allen, and Catherine A. Smith. 1993. "Commitment to Organizations and Occupations: Extension and Test of a Three-Component Conceptualization." Journal of Applied Psychology, 78(4): 538-551. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.78.4.538
- Morris, J. A. and D. C. Feldman. 1996. "The Dimensions, Antecedents and Consequences of Emotional Labor." Academy of Management Review, 21(4): 986-1010. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1996.9704071861
- Nunnally, J. C. 1978. Psychometric theory (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Rafaeli Anot and Robert I. Sutton. 1987. "Expression of Emotion as Part of the Work Rule." Academy of Management Review, 12: 23-37. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1987.4306444
- Rafaeli Anot and Robert. I. Sutton. 1989. "The Expression Emotion In Organizational Life." Research in Organizational Behavior, 11: 1-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-2681(89)90061-9
- Rutter, Derek and P. J. Fielding. 1988. "Sources of Occupational Stress: An Examination of British Prison Officers." Work and Stress, 2(4): 291-299. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678378808257490
- Shuler, S. and N. Morgan. 2013. "Emotional Labor in the Academic Library: When Being Friendly Feels like Work." The Reference Librarian, 54(2): 118-133. https://doi.org/10.1080/02763877.2013.756684
- Stueart, R. D. and B. B. Moran. 1987. Library Management, Littleton, COLO: Libraries Unlimited.