- Volume 43 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Reliability of the Korean Version of Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia for Temporomandibular Disorders
- Park, In Hee (Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University) ;
- Jang, Ji Hee (Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University) ;
- Chung, Jin Woo (Department of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2018.04.10
- Accepted : 2018.04.30
- Published : 2018.06.30
Purpose: The aim of this study was to translate the original English version of tampa scale for kinesiophobia for temporomandibular disorders (TSK-TMDs) for cultural equivalency into Korean language and to evaluate the reliability of the Korean version of the TSK-TMD among symptom free subjects. Methods: The original version of TSK-TMD was translated and cross-culturally adapted following international guidelines. A total 90 subjects (50 women, 40 men) were participated to fill out the questionnaire. The internal consistency and test-retest reliability with a one- or two-week time interval were evaluated. Results: The internal consistency of TSK-TMD of the original and the modified 12-item TSK-TMD were 0.866, and 0.858, respectively using the Cronbach's alpha coefficient. And the internal consistency of activity avoidance (AA) and somatic focus (SF) subscale were 0.838 and 0.807 assessed with Cronbach's alpha indicating excellent reliability. Test-retest reliability of the original TSK-TMD measured by the intra-class correlation coefficient (ICC) was 0.764, and coefficients value of the 12-question TSK-TMD was 0.752. Test-retest reliability of AA subscale was 0.722 and SF subscale was 0.677 measured by ICC. Conclusions: The Korean version of the TSK-TMD questionnaire was found to be a reliable instrument and successfully translated to Korean language. There are no significant differences between overall and modified version of TSK-TMD. It can be used as a valuable instrument for the analyses of the psychosocial aspects of the TMD patients in Korea.
Fear of movement;Kinesiophobia;Reliability;Tampa scale;Temporomandibular disorders
- LeResche L. Epidemiology of temporomandibular disorders: implications for the investigation of etiologic factors. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1997;8:291-305. https://doi.org/10.1177/10454411970080030401
- Dworkin RH, Breitbart WS. Psychosocial aspects of pain: a handbook for health care providers. Seattle: IASP Press; 2004. pp. 405-425.
- Gatchel RJ, Peng YB, Peters ML, Fuchs PN, Turk DC. The biopsychosocial approach to chronic pain: scientific advances and future directions. Psychol Bull 2007;133:581-624. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.133.4.581
- Keefe FJ, Rumble ME, Scipio CD, Giordano LA, Perri LM. Psychological aspects of persistent pain: current state of the science. J Pain 2004;5:195-211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpain.2004.02.576
- Heuts PH, Vlaeyen JW, Roelofs J, et al. Pain-related fear and daily functioning in patients with osteoarthritis. Pain 2004;110:228- 235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2004.03.035
- Vlaeyen JW, Kole-Snijders AM, Boeren RG, van Eek H. Fear of movement/(re)injury in chronic low back pain and its relation to behavioral performance. Pain 1995;62:363-372. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(94)00279-N
- Kori SH, Miller RP, Todd DD. Kinesophobia: a new view of chronic pain behavior. Pain Manag 1990;3:35-43.
- Crombez G, Vlaeyen JW, Heuts PH, Lysens R. Pain-related fear is more disabling than pain itself: evidence on the role of pain-related fear in chronic back pain disability. Pain 1999;80:329- 339. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(98)00229-2
- Roelofs J, Goubert L, Peters ML, Vlaeyen JW, Crombez G. The Tampa Scale for Kinesiophobia: further examination of psychometric properties in patients with chronic low back pain and fibromyalgia. Eur J Pain 2004;8:495-502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2003.11.016
- Swinkels-Meewisse IE, Roelofs J, Verbeek AL, Oostendorp RA, Vlaeyen JW. Fear of movement/(re)injury, disability and participation in acute low back pain. Pain 2003;105:371-379. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(03)00255-0
- Turner JA, Brister H, Huggins K, Mancl L, Aaron LA, Truelove EL. Catastrophizing is associated with clinical examination findings, activity interference, and health care use among patients with temporomandibular disorders. J Orofac Pain 2005;19:291-300.
- Visscher CM, Ohrbach R, van Wijk AJ, Wilkosz M, Naeije M. The tampa scale for kinesiophobia for temporomandibular disorders (TSK-TMD). Pain 2010;150:492-500. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2010.06.002
- He S, Wang J, Ji P. Validation of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia for temporomandibular disorders (TSK-TMD) in patients with painful TMD. J Headache Pain 2016;17:109. https://doi.org/10.1186/s10194-016-0706-x
- Aaronson N, Alonso J, Burnam A, et al. Assessing health status and quality-of-life instruments: attributes and review criteria. Qual Life Res 2002;11:193-205. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015291021312
- Guillemin F, Bombardier C, Beaton D. Cross-cultural adaptation of health-related quality of life measures: literature review and proposed guidelines. J Clin Epidemiol 1993;46:1417-1432. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(93)90142-N
- Iigaya M, Sakai F, Kolodner KB, Lipton RB, Stewart WF. Reliability and validity of the Japanese migraine disability assessment (MIDAS) questionnaire. Headache 2003;43:343-352. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1526-4610.2003.03069.x
- Lethem J, Slade PD, Troup JD, Bentley G. Outline of a fear-avoidance model of exaggerated pain perception-I. Behav Res Ther 1983;21:401-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(83)90009-8
- Westman AE, Boersma K, Leppert J, Linton SJ. Fear-avoidance beliefs, catastrophizing, and distress: a longitudinal subgroup analysis on patients with musculoskeletal pain. Clin J Pain 2011;27:567-577. https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0b013e318219ab6c
- Geisser ME, Haig AJ, Wallbom AS, Wiggert EA. Pain-related fear, lumbar flexion, and dynamic EMG among persons with chronic musculoskeletal low back pain. Clin J Pain 2004;20:61-69. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002508-200403000-00001
- Goubert L, Crombez G, Van Damme S, Vlaeyen JW, Bijttebier P, Roelofs J. Confirmatory factor analysis of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia: invariant two-factor model across low back pain patients and fibromyalgia patients. Clin J Pain 2004;20:103-110. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002508-200403000-00007
- Swinkels-Meewisse EJ, Swinkels RA, Verbeek AL, Vlaeyen JW, Oostendorp RA. Psychometric properties of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia and the fear-avoidance beliefs questionnaire in acute low back pain. Man Ther 2003;8:29-36. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.2002.0484
- Woby SR, Roach NK, Urmston M, Watson PJ. Psychometric properties of the TSK-11: a shortened version of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia. Pain 2005;117:137-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2005.05.029
- Uritani D, Kawakami T, Okazawa N, Kirita T. Development of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia for temporomandibular disorders- Japanese edition: a preliminary study. Musculoskelet Sci Pract 2016;25:e87.
- Aguiar AS, Bataglion C, Visscher CM, Bevilaqua Grossi D, Chaves TC. Cross-cultural adaptation, reliability and construct validity of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia for temporomandibular disorders (TSK/TMD-Br) into Brazilian Portuguese. J Oral Rehabil 2017;44:500-510. https://doi.org/10.1111/joor.12515
- Dworkin SF, LeResche L, DeRouen T, Von Korff M. Assessing clinical signs of temporomandibular disorders: reliability of clinical examiners. J Prosthet Dent 1990;63:574-579. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3913(90)90079-R
- Wahlund K, List T, Dworkin SF. Temporomandibular disorders in children and adolescents: reliability of a questionnaire, clinical examination, and diagnosis. J Orofac Pain 1998;12:42-51.
- Buer N, Linton SJ. Fear-avoidance beliefs and catastrophizing: occurrence and risk factor in back pain and ADL in the general population. Pain 2002;99:485-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(02)00265-8
- Houben RM, Leeuw M, Vlaeyen JW, Goubert L, Picavet HS. Fear of movement/injury in the general population: factor structure and psychometric properties of an adapted version of the tampa scale for kinesiophobia. J Behav Med 2005;28:415-424. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10865-005-9011-x