- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Comparative Analysis on the Digital Divide of Senior Citizens through the Preference for Mobile Internet and Social Media
- Park, Kyoung-ryul (Graduated from Graduate School of KwangWoon University) ;
- Kim, Jeong-lae (Department of Biomedical Engineering Eulji University)
- Received : 2018.05.18
- Accepted : 2018.06.04
- Published : 2018.06.30
This study analyzed the digital divide of Korean senior citizens through the preference for smart media. Targeting two media out of mobile internet and mobile social media, the media dependency ratio and the trend of people in their 20s-60s were verified. Regarding the dependency ratio of young people(20s) and senior citizens(60s), in case of mobile internet, people in their 60s were average 8.6% while people in their 20s were average 38.9%, so that the ratio of senior citizens was lower by 30.3%. In case of social media, people in their 60s were average 1%, which was 7.1% lower than people in their 20s(8.1%). And this divide was the digital divide shown in the informatization process through the trend of internet use of senior citizens in their 60s or up. Thus, as the policy measures for solving the digital divide of senior citizens, it would be required to continuously develop the digital cultural programs for senior citizens, to expansively perform the government subsidiary policies like additionally providing the essential information to senior citizens, and also to expand the smart-based infrastructure for senior citizens' participation in economic activities.
Senior Citizens;Mobile Internet;Social Media;Digital Divide
- Korea Ministry of Science &ICT.Korea Internet & Security Agency, 2017 Internet Use Survey, pp.21-66, 2018.3.
- N.I. Park, et al., "A Study on the Reliability and Use of News Media of Aged Group" Media Information Research Vol.54, Edition1, pp..314-347, 2017.
- Y.J. Kim, and J.M.Jeong, "The Elderly and Media: Media Use and Welfare of the Elderly" A Research Report of Korea Press Foundation, 2006.
- Korea Press Foundation, 2017 Media Users' Awareness Survey, pp.49-54, 2017.12.
- Korea Ministry of Science &ICT.Korea Internet & Security Agency, 2017 Internet Use Survey, pp.61, 2018.3.
- K.D. Kim, Y.M, Yu, and J.L. Kim, "A Study on the Influence of Mobile Commerce CharacteristicsPerception on Mobile Shopping Intentions", The Journal of the Institute of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication(JIIBC), Vol.13, No.6, pp.297-303, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2013.13.5.297. https://doi.org/10.7236/JIIBC.2013.13.6.297
- J.L. Kim, and K.D. Kim, "Prediction of shiver differentiation by the form alteration on the stable condition",International Journal of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication(IJIBC), Vol.9, No.4, pp.8-13, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7236/IJIBC.2017.9.4.8.