- Volume 7 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Short-term ICT Training Program for Non-Computer Science Major Teachers in Developing Countries for Improving ICT Teaching Efficacy
- Jeon, Yongju (Dept. of Computer Education, Korea National University of Education) ;
- Song, Ki-Sang (Dept. of Computer Education, Korea National University of Education)
- Received : 2018.05.08
- Accepted : 2018.05.21
- Published : 2018.06.30
The purpose of this study is to develop a short-term ICT training course that helps teachers from non-computing disciplines in developing countries acquire flipped-learning content creation skills. A field application is performed by applying the developed ICT training course to secondary school teachers of non-ICT subject specialisms in Laos. In the field study, participating teachers' teaching efficacy on ICT and satisfaction toward the training course are measured. The result of t-test on ICT teaching efficacy showed statistically significant increases in teachers' self-efficacy related to ICT use, both personal efficacy and outcome expectancy. The satisfaction survey performed after training showed that trainees were highly satisfied with the training course. The results of this field study could be used to propose a short-term teacher education model that could be applicable to teachers in other developing countries.
ICT Teacher Training;Non-major Teachers of Developing Countries;ICT Teaching Efficacy
- World Economic Forum, "What are the 21st-century skills every student needs?" https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/03/21st-century-skills-future-jobs-students/, March 2016.
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills, "Framework for 21st Century Learning," http://www.p21.org., May 2007.
- OECD DeSeCo, "The Definition and Selection of Key Competencies," http://www.oecd.org/pisa/35070367.pdf, May 2005.
- Korea Education and Research Information Science, "The Modeling of 21st Century Leaners' and Teachers' abilities," http://lib.keris.or.kr/search/media/imglist/CAT000000009855, November 2011.
- Nobel Prizes and Laureates, "The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2013," http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2013/, May 2018.
- Asian Economy, "Crisis is opportunity' emphasized by BMW CEO, Dr. Norbert Reithofer," http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2012112517345422670, November 2012.
- Ministry of Science, "ICT and Future Planning of Korea, Software: The key of creative-economy," http://www.msip.go.kr/web/msipContents/contents.do?mId=NzM=, August 2013.
- Ministry of Education of Korea. "2015 Revised National Curriculum of Education," November 2015
- Samsung, "Junior Software Academy," http://www.juniorsw.com/Academy, April 2018.
- Naver, Play with Software, http://www.playsw.or.kr/main, April 2018.
- Code.org, https://code.org, April 2018.
- Google, Google for Education, https://edu.google.com/ May 2018.
- Department for Education of U.K., "The national curriculum in England. Framework document," October 2013.
- Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA), K-12 Computer Science Standards, Revised 2017, https://www.doe.k12.de.us/cms/lib/DE01922744/Centricity/Domain/176/CSTA%20Computer%20Science%20Standards%20Revised%202017.pdf, July 2017.
- Y. Jeon, & T. Kim, "The Understanding of Software Education by the Analysis of International Trends," in Proc. of the Korean Association of Computer Education Conference, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp.137-142. August 2014.
- UNESCO, "ICT in Education," https://en.unesco.org/themes/ict-education, April 2018.
- KOICA, "Project List of Education," http://www.koica.go.kr/english/aid/sector_education/1324003_3825.html, April 2018.
- T. Lee & H. Choi, "Informatics Education," Seoul: Hanbit, 2016.
- UNESCO, "Qingdao Declaration," http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/ED/pdf/Qingdao_Declaration.pdf, May 2015.
- UNESCO, "Leveraging Information and Communication Technology to Achieve Education 2030," http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0025/002595/259587e.pdf, July 2017.
- UNESCO, "ICT Competency Framework for Teachers," https://en.unesco.org/themes/ict-education/competency-framework-teachers, April 2018.
- Y. You, "ICT Integration in Teacher Education: A Teacher Training Institute Case in Lao PDR," Masters' Thesis, Graduate School of Education, Seoul National University, Korea., February 2017.
- A. Bandura, "A Self-efficacy: Toward a Unifying Theory of Behavioral Change," Psychological Review, Vol. 84, No. 2, pp. 191-215, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- S. Gibson, & M. H. Dembo, "Teacher Efficacy: A Construct Validation," Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 76, pp. 569-582, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2069
- K. Chung, "The Effects of Kindergarten Teachers' Efficacy Belief on Mathematics Education Practices," Korean Association of Child Studies, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 225-241, 2001.
- H. Kim, "An Analysis of Elementary Science Teaching Efficacy," Journal of Educational Studies, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 97-118, 2010.
- S. Lee, & H. Kim, "A study on the Relations between the Teaching Practice of Musical Elements and Music Teaching Efficacy among Early Childhood Teachers," Journal of Early Childhood Education & Care, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 53-76, 2014. https://doi.org/10.16978/ecec.2014.9.2.003
- S. Lee, "Effect of TPACK-based Teachers' Training Course for Educational Programming Language on Elementary Teachers' Informatics Teaching," Master's Thesis, Korea National University of Education, Korea, February 2017.
- R. E. Bleicher, "Revisiting the STEBI-B: Measuring Self-Efficacy in Preservice Elementary Teachers," School Science and Mathematics, Vol. 104, No.8, pp. 383-391, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.2004.tb18004.x
- L. G. Enochs, & I. M. Riggs, "Toward the Development of an Efficacy Belief Instrument for Elementary Teachers," Science Education, Vol. 79 No.1, pp. 63-75, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730790105
- Y. Gelogo, & H.-J. Kim, "Educational Paradigm Shift from E-Learning to Mobile Learning Toward Ubiquitous Learning," International Journal of Internet, Broadcasting and Communication, Vol.4 No.1 pp. 8-12, 2012.