- Volume 7 Issue 2
Osteoarthritis is one of the most common chronic degenerative disease and prevalent among women in rural area. A variety of self-management programs for arthritis patients have been developed and administered, however the effectiveness and adherence to the program including arthritis exercise are found to be low. The purpose of this study is to design intervention Arthritis Self-Management Program with Tai Chi (ASMP-TC) through identifying and analyzing attributes influencing adherence exercise behavior in Korean older adult women with arthritis in rural area. For this, the existing and relevant evidence on arthritis self-management including exercise intervention were investigated, and then this study describes well-designed arthritis self-management program to provide the credibility and validity necessary for its interventions. In addition, this study try to propose a self-management program model of Tai Chi exercise for rural older adults to improve adherence based on the primary health care facility, which is vulnerable area in Korea.
- K.J. Woo, and K.W. OH, "Prevalence of Osteoarthritis among Adults over 50 years old in Korea, 2010-2013", Public Health Weekly Report, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 82-84. 2015.
- Korean Statistical Information Service. http://kosis.kr/index/index.do (updated as of January 2, 2018).
- B.M. Alkan, F. Fidan, A. Tosun, and O. Ardicoglu, "Quality of life and self-reported disability in patients with knee osteoarthritis", Modern rheumatology, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 166-71. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3109/14397595.2013.854046 https://doi.org/10.3109/14397595.2013.854046
- G.A. Hawker, M.A. Gignac, E. Badleym, A.M. Davis, M.R. French, Y. Li, A.V. Perruccio, J.D. Power, J. Sale, and W. Lou, "A longitudinal study to explain the pain-depression link in older adults with osteoarthritis", Arthritis Care & Research (Hoboken), Vol. 63, No. 10, pp. 1382-90. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20298 https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20298
- E. Lee, S. Choi, G. Suh, A. So, K. Lee, and J. Choi, "A study on health status of arthritis clients in Wonju City", The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 262-277. 2001.
- S. A. Ali, K. E. Walsh, and M. Kloseck, "Patient perspectives on improving osteoarthritis management in urban and rural communities", Journal of pain research, Vol. 22, pp. 417-425. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S150578 https://doi.org/10.2147/JPR.S150578
- J. Barlow, B. Williams, and C. Wright, "Patient education for people with arthritis in rural communities: the UK experience", Patient Edu & Counseling. Vol. 44, pp. 205-214. 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(00)00196-8 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(00)00196-8
- K.R. Lorig and H. Holman, "Self-management education: history, definition, outcomes, and mechanisms", Annals of behavioral medicine, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 1-7. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1207/S15324796ABM2601_01 https://doi.org/10.1207/S15324796ABM2601_01
- Y. Kim, and J.S. Park, "A meta-analysis of intervention studies on the effects of self-management in knee osteoarthritis", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 3. pp. 1946-1956. 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2015.16.3.1946 https://doi.org/10.5762/kais.2015.16.3.1946
- F.P. Kroon, L.R. van der Burg, R. Buchbinder, R.H. Osborne, R.V. Johnston, and V. Pitt, "Self-management education programmes for osteoarthritis", Cochrane Database systematic review, Vol. 1. pp. 1-179. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd008963.pub2 https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd008963.pub2
- T.E. McAlindon, R.R. Bannuru, M.C. Sullivan, N.K. Arden, F. Berenbaum, S.M. Bierma-Zeinstra, G.A. Hawker, Y. Henrotin, D.J. Hunter, H. Kawaguchi, K. Kwoh, S. Lohmander, F. Rannou, E.M. Roos, and M. Underwood, "OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis", Osteoarthritis Cartilage, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 363-88. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2014.01.003 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2014.01.003
- K. Lorig, R. Chastain, E. Ung, S. Shoor, and H.R. Holman, "Development and evaluation of a scale to measure perceived self-efficacy in people with arthritis", Arthritis & Rheumatism. Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 37-44. 1989. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/anr.1780320107 https://doi.org/10.1002/anr.1780320107
- E. Wellsandt and Y. Golightly, "Exercise in the management of knee and hip osteoarthritis", Current opinion in rheumatology, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 151-159. 2018. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0000000000000478 https://doi.org/10.1097/BOR.0000000000000478
- J. Park and S. Kim, "Effects of Lower Extremity Strengthening Exercise Combined with Balance Exercise on Lower Extremity Function, Range of Motion, Muscle Strength, and Balance in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis", Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 147-158. 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.4.147 https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.4.147
- K.Y. Sohng and S.S. Kang, "Effects of ground exercise for arthritis program in person with chronic arthritis", The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 179-190. 2001.
- S. Im, S. Eo, S. Kim, S.H. Hur, K.J. An, and J.S. Lww, "The effect of regular aquatic exercise on balanc capacity, physical fitness and performance level, and muscular activity in elderly women arthritis patients", Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 37-54. 2014.
- S.S. Han, W.O. Kim, Y.J. Kim, Y.H. Back, and M.H. Lee, "Effects of Moxibustion and Theraband Exercise on Physical and Psychological Variables of the Aged with Degenerative Osteoarthritis", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 16-23. 2008.
- A.Y. So, K.S. Lee, J.S. Choi, and E.H. Lee, "The Effects of a Tai Chi Exercise Program for Patients with Arthritis in Rural Areas", Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 118-127. 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.118 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2010.21.1.118
- G. Wu, "Evaluation of the Effectiveness of Tai Chi for Improving Balance and Preventing Falls in the Older Population-A Review", Journal of American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 50, pp. 746-754. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50173.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1532-5415.2002.50173.x
- J.H. Yan and J.H. Downing, "Tai Chi: an alternative exercise form for seniors", Journal of Aging & Physical Activity, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 350-362. 1998. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.6.4.350 https://doi.org/10.1123/japa.6.4.350
- S.L. Wolf, C. Coogler, and T. Xu, "Exploring the basis for Tai Chi Chun as a therapeutic exercise approach", Archives of Physical and medical rehabilitation, Vol. 78, pp. 886-892. 1997. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-9993(97)90206-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-9993(97)90206-9
- E.H. Lee, K.S. Lee, A.Y. So, J.S. Choi, I.O. Lee, and J.D. Lee, "Effect of Self-help Tai Chi for Arthritis on the Quality of Life, Health Perception, Joint Flexibility, Grasping Power, and Balance", The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 127-136. 2007.
- K.S. Lee, A.Y. So, J.S. Choi, E.H. Lee, and B.B. Yoo, "Changes in pain, fatigue, perceived health status, joint stiffness, disability in ADL, and depression after Tai Chi for arthritis program", The Journal of Rheumatology Health, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 53-61. 2008.
- M. Yau, "Tai Chi exercise and the improvement of health and well-being in older adults", In Hong, Y. (Ed) Tai Chi Chuan. "State of the Art in International Research", Medical Sport Science. Basel, Karger, Vol. 52, pp. 155-165. 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1159/000134296
- R.E. Taylor-Piliae, W.L. Haskell, N.A. Stotts, and E.S. Froelicher, "Improvement in balance, strength, and flexibility after 12 weeks of Tai Chi exercise in ethnic Chinese adults with cardiovascular disease risk factors", Alternative Therapeutic Health Medicine, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 50-58. 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2005.10.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcnurse.2005.10.008
- D. Roberts, "Alternative therapies for arthritis treatment: part 2." Orthopaedic Nursing, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 167-174. 2003. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00006416-200311000-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00006416-200311000-00008
- Korea Human Resource Development Institute for Health and Welfare, Beginning of the Community Health Practitioner(CHP) system in Republic of Korea, Primary Health Care of the Community Health Practitioner. Medical Publisher, Paju-Si, Korea. 2010
- A.Y. So, Expansion strategy of Wonju healthy city project to rural area. Healthy City Wonju Forum Workshop. pp. 44-62. 2005.
- Y. Kim, and J. Park, "Development and Evaluation of a Joint Health Self-management Program for the Elderly with Knee Osteoarthritis in Communities: Applying the IMB Model", Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 55-68. 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.1.55 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.1.55
- M.V. Hurley, N.E. Walsh, H.L. Mitchell, T.J. Pimm, A. Patel, E. Williamson, R.H. Jones, P.A. Dieppe, and B.C. Reeves, "Clinical effectiveness of a rehabilitation program integrating exercise, self-management, and active coping strategies for chronic knee pain: a cluster randomized trial", Arthritis and Rheumatism. Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 1211-1219. 2007. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/art.22995 https://doi.org/10.1002/art.22995
- M.V. Hurley, N.E. Walsh, H. Mitchell, J. Nicholas, and A. Patel, "Long‐term outcomes and costs of an integrated rehabilitation program for chronic knee pain: A pragmatic, cluster randomized, controlled trial". Arthritis Care & Research, Vol. 64, No. 2, pp. 238-247. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20642 https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20642
- K.R. Lorig, P. Ritter, A.L. Stewart, D.S. Sobel, B.W. Brown, A. Bandura, V.M. Gonzalez, D.D. Laurent, and H.R. Holman, "Chronic disease self-management program: 2-year health status and health care utilization outcomes", Medical care, Vol. 39, No. 11, pp. 1217-1223. 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200111000-00008 https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-200111000-00008
- G.A. Hawker, M.A. Gignac, E. Badleym, A.M. Davis, M.R. French, Y. Li, A.V. Perruccio, J.D. Power, J. Sale, and W. Lou, "A longitudinal study to explain the pain-depression link in older adults with osteoarthritis", Arthritis Care & Research (Hoboken), Vol. 63, No. 10, pp. 1382-1390. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20298 https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20298
- S. Femandez, K.L. Scales, J.M. Pineiro, A.M. Schoenthater, and G. Ogedegbe, "A senior center-based pilot trial of the effect of lifestyle intervention on blood pressure in minority elderly people with hypertension", Journal of American Geriatric Society, Vol. 56, No. 10, pp. 1860-1866. 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01863.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01863.x
- S.L. Nine, C.L. Lakies, H.K. Jarrett, and B.A. Davis, "Community-based chronic disease management program for African Americans", Outcomes Management, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 106-112. 2003.
- J.S. Choi, E.H. Lee, A.Y. So, and K.S. Lee, "Effects of the Self-help Tai Chi Program for Arthritis with Supportive Follow up Phone-Calls", The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 174-183. 2009.
- W.R. Sadish, T.D. Cook, and D.T. Campbell, Experimental and quasi-experimental designs for generalized causal inference. Wadsworth. CA. USA. 2002.
- C.P. Gross, H.M. Krumholz, G.V. Wye, E.J. Emanuel, and D. Wendler, "Does Random Treatment Assignment Cause Harm to Research Participants?", PLoS Medicine, Vol. 3, No. 6, pp. 0800-0808. 2006. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030188 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0030188
- S. Wilson, H. Draper, and J. Ives, "Ethical issues regarding recruitment to research studies within the primary care consultation", Family Practice, Vol. 25, pp. 456-461. 2008. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmn076 https://doi.org/10.1093/fampra/cmn076
- V.H. Barkauskas, S.L. Lusk, and B.L. Eakin, "Selecting Control Interventions for Clinical Outcome Studies", Western Journal of Nursing Research, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 346-363. 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945904271446 https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945904271446
- Y.B. Yip, W.H.J. Sit, K.K.Y. Fung, D.Y.S. Wong, S. Chong, L.H. Chung, and T.P. Ng, "Impact of a self-management arthritis programme with an added exercise component for osteoarthritic knee sufferers on improving pain, functional outcomes, and use of health care services: an experimental study", Patient Education and Counseling, Vol. 65, pp. 113-121. 2007 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2006.06.019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2006.06.019
- K.M. Mustian, J.A. Katula, and H. Zhao, "A pilot study to assess the influence of tai chi chuan on functional capacity among breast cancer survivors", Journal of Supportive Oncology, Vol. 4, pp. 139-145. 2006.