- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Retrospective Analysis of Patients Suffering from Dementia or Mild Cognitive Impairment Treated by Collaboration between Western and Korean Medicine
한양방 협진치료를 받은 치매와 경도인지장애 환자에 대한 후향적 의무기록 분석
- Lee, Go Eun (Department of Oriental Rehabilitation, National Rehabilitation Center) ;
- Cheong, Moon Joo (Education Graduate of Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Sung Ik (Inam Neuroscience Research Center & Department of Neurology, Sanbon Medical Center, Wonkwang University School of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Nam Kwen (Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology, School of Korean Medicine, Pusan National University) ;
- Kim, Jinwon (Department of Korean Internal Medicine, National Medical Center) ;
- Kang, Hyung Won (Department of Neuropsychiatry of Korean Medicine, Wonkwang University)
- 이고은 (국립재활원 한방재활의학과) ;
- 정문주 (한양대학교 교육대학원) ;
- 이성익 (원광대학교 의과대학 산본병원 신경과학교실 & 인암뇌신경연구센터) ;
- 김남권 (부산대학교 한의학전문대학원 한방안이비인후피부과) ;
- 김진원 (국립의료원 한방진료부 한방내과) ;
- 강형원 (원광대학교 한의과대학 한방신경정신과교실)
- Received : 2018.06.06
- Accepted : 2018.06.23
- Published : 2018.06.30
Objectives: To investigate the characteristics of patients diagnosed with dementia or mild cognitive impairment who are treated by means of a blend between Western and Korean medicine. Methods: We searched for outpatients with dementia or mild cognitive impairment by means of a collaboration between Western and Korean medicine from August 1, 2015, to July 31, 2017, through electronic medical records in Wonkwang Hospital. The records were retrospectively analyzed according to the patients' demographic and clinical characteristics, pathway of medical care, diagnostic tests, treatment, and medical expenses. Results: Thirteen patients were included in the analysis. Among them, six patients were diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment, five with dementia, Alzheimer's type, one patient with frontotemporal dementia, and one patient with unspecified dementia. Twelve of the thirteen patients were over 60 years of age. The number of pathways from the Dept. of Neurology to the Dept. of Neuropsychiatry of Korean Medicine was almost the same as the opposite pathway. The most used diagnostic test in Korean medicine was a neuropsychological test such as SNSB, MMSE and GDS. In Western medicine, hematology and neuroimaging were frequently used for patients. Acupuncture in Korean medicine and medication in Western medicine were the most frequently used. In Korean medicine, uncovered service costs were much higher than covered service costs,. whereas, in Western medicine, covered service costs were higher than uncovered service costs. Conclusions: This study describes the basic characteristics of dementia and mild cognitive impairment patients treated by a collaboration between Western and Korean medicine. Based on these results, a clinical pathway of the collaborative practice system between Western and Korean medicine for dementia patients needs to be developed.
Supported by : Ministry of Health and Welfare of Korea
- Bodner K, D’Amico S, Luo M, Sommers E, Goldstein L, Neri C, Gardiner P. A Cross-Sectional Review of the Prevalence of Integrative Medicine in Pediatric Pain Clinics across the United States. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2018;38:79-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2018.05.001
- Roufail J, Sahyouni R, Malik S, Cadena G, Chen JW, Hsu FP, Gannotta R, Vadera S. A novel integrative healing services approach for neurosurgery inpatients: Preliminary experiences and cost calculations. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery. 2018;13:124-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.inat.2018.04.012
- Armstrong K., Lanni T., Anderson M.M., Patricolo G.E. Integrative medicine and the oncology patient: options and benefits. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2018;26(7):2267-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-017-4007-y
- Fang J, Chen L, Ma R, Keeler CL, Shen L, Bao Y, et al. Comprehensive rehabilitation with integrative medicine for subacute stroke: A multicenter randomized controlled trial. Scientific Reports. 2016;6:25850. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep25850
- Xiong X. Integrating traditional Chinese medicine into Western cardiovascular medicine: an evidence-based approach. Nature Reviews Cardiology. 2015;12:374.
- Chen X, Pan W. The Treatment Strategies for Neurodegenerative Diseases by Integrative Medicine. Integrative Medicine International. 2014;1(4):223-5. https://doi.org/10.1159/000381546
- Chan E, Tan M, Xin J, Sudarsanam S, Johnson DE. Interactions between traditional Chinese medicines and Western. Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel. 2010;13(1): 50-65.
- Kwon YK, Shin MS, Shin BC, Yoon YJ, Choi JY, Kim SY, Lee SD, Park SW. Research of Disease Treated with Collabolative Korean and Western Medicine: Preliminary Study. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare; 2012.
- Crocker RL, Grizzle AJ, Hurwitz JT, Rehfeld RA, Abraham I, Horwitz R, Rehfeld RA, Abraham I, Horwitz R, Weil A, Maizes V. Integrative medicine primary care: assessing the practice model through patients’ experiences. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. 2017;17(1):490. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-017-1996-5
- Sohn MS, Lee WC. East-West Integrative Care between Korean Medicine and Western Medicine system development study. Seoul:Ministry of Health and Welfare. 2010.
- Ministry of health and welfare. Cooperative hospital management guide. 2010.
- Park MJ. Performance of Collaboration between Korean Medicine and Western Medicine -Utilization and Quality of Care for Stroke Patients- Seoul: Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Ph.D. Theses. 2016.
- Oh KE, Bak WS, Yang HI, Han SS, Yoo MC, Park SC, Lee SC. Development of Clinical Pathway and Analysis of Clinical Patterns for Optimizing the Integrative Medical Service. The Journal of The Korea Institute of Oriental Medical Diagnostics. 2012;16(2):23-32.
- Shin AS, Lee IW, Kim NH. Clinical Observation on East-West Integration Treatment in Stroke and Brain Disease. The Korean Journal of Joongpoong. 2010; 11(1):9-17.
- Lee SJ, Shin BC, Song GS, Hwang BH, Yun YJ, Cho HW. A Systematic Review of the Effectiveness of Eastern-Western Integrative Medicine for Musculoskeletal Disorders. Journal of Korean Rehabilication Medicine. 2011;21(4):87-96.
- Suk KH, Lee JH, Ryu SH. Effectiveness of East-West collaborative hospital treatment on the prognosis of Bell’s palsy: A retrospective study. Journal of Acupuncture Research. 2015;32(4):167-75. https://doi.org/10.13045/acupunct.2015071
- Lee SH, Lee IS, Cho HS, Kim KK. Effect on Oriental Western Medicine Integrative Care after Gynecology Surgery. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics& Gynecology. 2011;24(3):127-45.
- Kwon MG, Jo HG, Kim JH, Jeung CW, Go YJ, Seol JU, Lee SY. The Analysis of East-West Integrative Care System in a Korean Medicine Hospital Using by EMR Data: Preliminary Study. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2017;27(2):93-9. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2017.27.2.93
- Jo HJ, Kwon MS, Kim JH, Ko DH, Choi JE, Han JS, Lee SH, Kim YS, Nam SS. A Retrospective Analysis of 1549 patients under the Cooperative Medical Care consulted to the Department of Acupuncture and Moxibustion in a Korean medical hospital. Journal of Korean Acupuncature & Moxibustion Medicine Society. 2016;33(4):109-19.
- Jeong Y. Survey on Perception Level of the East-West Collaborative Medical Practices Among the General Public. Busan: Dong-Eui University. 2016.
- Mayuzumi Yasuhiro, Endo Asami. Science of Kampo Medicine-BPSD and herbal medicine. Tokyo: Coporation of clinical information center. 2017;41(1):4-9.
- Seo YK, You DK, Kim H, Kim SY, Lee GE, Kim SH, Kang HW, Jung IC. A Survey of the Recognition on the Practice Pattern, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Korean Medicine of Dementia and Mild Cognitive Impairment -Focusing on the Differences between Neuropsychiatrists of Korean Medicine and General Physicians. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2017;28(3):263-74. https://doi.org/10.7231/JON.2017.28.3.263
- Boon H, Verhoef M, O'Hara D, Findlay B. From parallel practice to integrative health care: a conceptual framework. BMC health services research. 2004;4(1):15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-4-15
- Lee GE, Yang HD, Jeon WK, Kang HW. A Study on the System of Collaborative Practice between Korean Traditional Medicine and Western Medicine for Dementia based on a Case Study. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2013;24(3):211-28. https://doi.org/10.7231/jon.2013.24.3.211